Backpacking in europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildsoyabean

Sep 28, 2008
Hi...im planning a 2-3 weeks trip to europe
have anyone backpack there before? any advices on places to go and places not to go?

Even you are back packing, what is your budget?

First and foremost, get the right Euro pass. Some allows unlimited train rides through out Europe, some only in certain parts, some have other limitations.

I had one that allowed me to travel anywhere anytime. We spent too many nights on trains, going from city to city, in order to save on lodging. It was fun, cheap and very tiring.

And that was long time ago.

budget...hmm is it possible to do it within 2k to 3K (aside air tickets).
I will be flying to frankfurt as my sis is there... and explore as much as I can in germany while saving up lodging before I head to the road

u have to plan where u wanna go first b4 anything else....this will determine the euro pass, but euro pass might not be the best option, yes it saves you on lodging if u take the nite train plus sleeper or couchette, but its very tiring... but then again, if u move from city to city all on night trains, the cost can easily reach 1K... flying on budget airlines is the best if it goes to the city u wish to visit... its like what 30 pounds to fly from London to Prague ?? Thats what i did...

so u have to plan very carefully where u wanna visit, ur itinerary then consider which euro pass to buy, make sure u really utlize it to the fullest cos it will cost u easily $800 plus and above, if possible go with budget airlines...

Europass agent here in SIN is Dynasty travel. Budget airline like easyjet/ryanair can just book online...

if u are the advanture kind, can always rent a car while u are in germany... with GPS on board, not that difficult to navigate around... besides u got to floor the accelarator all the way on the Auto Bahn... no speed limit...:cool: 200km/h... still kena over take by the BMWs and Mercs...:bsmilie:

u have to plan where u wanna go first b4 anything else....this will determine the euro pass, but euro pass might not be the best option, yes it saves you on lodging if u take the nite train plus sleeper or couchette, but its very tiring... but then again, if u move from city to city all on night trains, the cost can easily reach 1K... flying on budget airlines is the best if it goes to the city u wish to visit... its like what 30 pounds to fly from London to Prague ?? Thats what i did...

so u have to plan very carefully where u wanna visit, ur itinerary then consider which euro pass to buy, make sure u really utlize it to the fullest cos it will cost u easily $800 plus and above, if possible go with budget airlines...

Europass agent here in SIN is Dynasty travel. Budget airline like easyjet/ryanair can just book online...

if u are the advanture kind, can always rent a car while u are in germany... with GPS on board, not that difficult to navigate around... besides u got to floor the accelarator all the way on the Auto Bahn... no speed limit...:cool: 200km/h... still kena over take by the BMWs and Mercs...:bsmilie:

Wow, is it easy to rent car? cheap? with Sg driving license can drive?

Regarding the Europass, if buy here will be cheaper then buy there?

Thanks for the info. Me thinking going Germany to shoot those castle :lovegrin:

You need an international license to drive in Europe and don't forget that other than the UK, its left hand drive. If you've not driven there before, I wouldn't recommend it for cost and safety reasons. Flying via budget airlines can sometimes be cheaper than taking the train too.

You need an international license to drive in Europe and don't forget that other than the UK, its left hand drive. If you've not driven there before, I wouldn't recommend it for cost and safety reasons. Flying via budget airlines can sometimes be cheaper than taking the train too.

IC... ;p Yes i realize the budget air is sometimes cheaper. Faster for sure :)

Some thoughts:

- budget airlines - driving esp if you are alone is not easy and parking is very expensive
- Barcelona, Amsterdam and Florence/Venice are nice
- I suggest you expand your budget, even if you are a student, scrimping too much may decrease your enjoyment
- learn to cook simple dishes, get your stuff from grocery supermarkets and make your own sandwiches etc.
- toilets are about 1 Euro, coffee is about 5 E, a sandwich is about 5-10 E depending on the country.

And you'll really want to plan out exactly where you want to go, staying for how long and then you can start budgeting accordingly. Try www.hostelworld.com for relatively cheap accomodations in hostels and some budget hotels.

Edit: Agree with Petetherock, sometimes it's better to cut down on the number of countries to visit and enjoy yourself more at lesser places. Rushing around while backpacking is very very tiring.

Venice is amazing place and definitely one of my must go places.

Last edited:
I'll be going to Europe soon.. Can't wait to capture as many shots as possible.. I'll be heading to London, Rome, Florence, Pisa, Venice, Barcelona and Paris over 2 weeks.

Here are some of the recommended websites that I've used to plan my itinerary:

Reid Guides
TravelAdvisor

Good luck in your planning ;)

budget...hmm is it possible to do it within 2k to 3K (aside air tickets).
I will be flying to frankfurt as my sis is there... and explore as much as I can in germany while saving up lodging before I head to the road

If you won't be shopping, your budget is enough. Share a room with strangers, that will leave you more money for other expenses. :)

IC... ;p Yes i realize the budget air is sometimes cheaper. Faster for sure :)

Not only cheaper, their seats are more spacious. Depending on luck, you can get great deals. My return ticket from London to Italy only cost 1p! :)

Last edited:
for true backpacking and experiencing more interesting cultures and people, backpack eastern Europe.

Western Europe like Germany, France and Spain have their charm, but the true undeveloped old cities are still in Eastern Europe. Try Krakow, Zakopane etc in Poland, Vienna, Prague, Russia etc. Cost of living there is also cheaper, in fact even cheaper than Singapore in some Polish cities.

I came back from a trip not too long ago, my city list is as follows:
London
Barcelona
Marrakesh
Paris
Oslo
Gothenberg
Milan
Venice
Cinque Terre
Rome
Athens
Santorini
Mykonos
Bergen
Amsterdam
Tromso
Frankfurt
Vienna
Salzburg
Prague
Berlin

my top picks will be Marrakesh, Cinque Terre (Italy) and the greek Islands. I also loved Prague for its old cities, extremely charming. I would recommend Norway, but it's not in Europe and it's quite inconvenient and expensive. You would be able to catch the midnight sun during this period.

some photos:
3452881660_7985519055.jpg

Amsterdam

3314970531_04401bb45d.jpg

Prague

3093515814_7ec19f983a.jpg

Tromso

3057875876_066b9b8190.jpg

Marrakesh

3038491095_b41fc3575f.jpg

Cinque Terre

It's in my opinion that when i backpack i take it slow and easy, hence i don't plan my travels to the dot. I may stay a little longer in one place, or make it a quick one. You'll never really know until you're there. I never once bought the Eurail, because if you're shrewd enough you can find the best deals on the ground. But again, it's entirely up to you. Euro rail ties you down to some extent. But if you're the type that plans everything smoothly and do sufficient research to know what to do and see at one place, perhaps the Euro rail is good for you.

Wow, is it easy to rent car? cheap? with Sg driving license can drive?

Regarding the Europass, if buy here will be cheaper then buy there?

Thanks for the info. Me thinking going Germany to shoot those castle :lovegrin:

buy there ?? buy here la.. price similar, and they can do the itinerary for you, plus on the spot issue the train pass...

35 New Bridge Road
Dynasty Travel Hub
Singapore 059 395

3rd floor i think...

but as i say... budget airline is so much cheaper...

bump! :bsmilie:

TFS the info guys!!!:thumbsup:

If travelling by budget airlines, wouldn't the transport cost from the airport still adds on? As compared to trains which usually stops right at most cities already..

Btw, buying railpass tickets online is definitely cheaper.. Buying locally, you get charged high exchange rates plus whatever commission.. If you plan early enough, it's definitely more worth it to order online..

If travelling by budget airlines, wouldn't the transport cost from the airport still adds on? As compared to trains which usually stops right at most cities already..

Btw, buying railpass tickets online is definitely cheaper.. Buying locally, you get charged high exchange rates plus whatever commission.. If you plan early enough, it's definitely more worth it to order online..

true there will be added cost on traveling to the airport... so have to plan what is the most cost effective... as least for me, budget airlines is way cheaper... most of my airport transfers are no more than a bus ride or a underground service...

buying rail pass online cheaper ?? well i did all my research, even try to book online... the reservation confirmation was a nightmare especially the night train... i finally well down and buy on the spot... and its not in any way more expensive...

it really depends, actually.

for example, if LONDON-->PARIS

probably on par to take train versus fly to airport, but convenience wise, since eurostar goes straight into the main city area, so you can hit the ground running pretty much, most people will prefer to take train.

the main concern if you ask me is cost with respect to time. you can also pay for a cheaper train, but length of journey longer. you have to weigh and do your homework, information is easily available especially from those who have gone before. more specificity is needed to answer such a question for sure.

buying rail pass online cheaper ?? well i did all my research, even try to book online... the reservation confirmation was a nightmare especially the night train... i finally well down and buy on the spot... and its not in any way more expensive...

you should see the italy rail website.....

i catch no ball.... :bsmilie: actually go to rail station also catch no ball sometimes, but nothing went wrong. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.