backpack with dslr & tripod

-star-

Sep 25, 2010
Hi guys, I'm going on a 2 weeks trip to Cambodia soon. Its my first time backpacking alone, I intending to bring D5100(with battery grip) + kit lens + 35mm + tripod.

I have a few questions in mind and hope someone can clear my doubts :)

I searched online and read that it is better to store camera into another bag rather than the backpack storing clothes..

1) may I know which backpacks are recommended for storing the equipments + tripod?

2) I saw kata 3n1 and flipside series but wondering would it be funny to carry two backpacks (like one in front of body n one at the back)? Or people just pack the camera bag into the main backpack for travelling and take out the camera bag for day trip?

3) any brand or model of backpack to recommend?

Thanks in advance for helping to clear doubts :)

1) may I know which backpacks are recommended for storing the equipments + tripod?

2) I saw kata 3n1 and flipside series but wondering would it be funny to carry two backpacks (like one in front of body n one at the back)? Or people just pack the camera bag into the main backpack for travelling and take out the camera bag for day trip?

3) any brand or model of backpack to recommend?

1 + 2) I think if you're planning on backpacking and taking public transport and all, carrying two backpacks is definitely somewhat unwieldy. For me, I just stuff the camera into my main backpack with maybe a sweater or t shirt wrapped around it for some amount of protection. My extra lens is in a protective case, and somewhere in the backpack. Usually the camera body + one lens is in my hands the entire day, so the only time it's in my backpack is during flights or long rides. Tripod just gets stuck at the side of the normal backpack in one of the water bottle compartments.

3) Not specifically... it's very personal so you should go find a good outdoor store and/or camera shop and try things out. See which one fits you well and buy that one.

try looking at the lowepro fastpack 350 aw. it has a compartment on top for daily stuffs and the lower part is for camera and lenses. then on the side, you can put your tripod. see for yourself.

your camera setup is quite compact so my suggestion is to store your camera gear in a separate bag and keep your tripod in your main backpack. i strap my tripod on the outside of my main backpack as i have that function plus it's highly secured. (except that it is susceptible to knocks and dirt but i'm ok with it's a relatively cheap tripod)

i carry 2 packs one in front and one behind and the one in front is much much smaller (manhattan portage big apple which i added in camera bag inserts. bag is weather resistant and provides rather easy access to my camera)

travelling with this setup is quite difficult on public transport especially in crowded buses during transition periods but mostly bearable as i will leave my main backpack at wherever i'm staying and the smaller backpack acts as my day pack as well.

do try out before you leave. it works for me but might not work for you.

did this setup for 17days in Nepal, 8 days in Vietnam and will be planning to do the same for my next month trip to KL

personally i like to put my camera in a sling bag, so that I can whip it out easily the moment i see a potential shot

Thanks seniors for all the advices :) do u guys carry the tripod naked or with tripod bags when strap to the backpack?

For budget airlines, can we carry one main backpack plus a small bag onboard?

Do u guys bring an external hdd along to xtra photos? Cos I have one 16gb, two 8gb sd card but unlike would it be enough for the whole trip?

I carry mine "naked"... to me a tripod bag just adds unnecessary bulk and weight, and also possibly makes you less likely to take it out to use, since it's more trouble.

Regarding budget airline allowances, that really depends on the individual airline. I suggest reading the fine print for whichever airline(s) you're planning to take. But in general, budget airlines tend to be stricter, and if they say one bag, they mean one bag. Carry-on bags also do sometimes get weighed, so it's generally a good idea to pack within their weight allowance to avoid trouble at the airport.

Are you bringing a laptop? If you are, then can you just use the laptop's internal hdd? If you're not bringing a laptop, do you plan to go to internet cafes or do the hostels/hotels you're staying at have computers available for you to use? Whether or not 32GB is enough is highly subjective - some people can shoot for a week on 8GB and others go through 8GB in a day, so what are your shooting habits?

think tank street walker

Streetwalker harddrive
I didnt know i was carrying 10 kg on my bag and 10 on my hand until i went home to weight it

Budget airline to Cambodia from SG I assume is either Airasia or Jetstar?

Airasia allows one carry-on bag and one small personal bag (laptop bag etc), stated in their check-in ticket. Allowable weight is 7kg. They never weight my bags in SG, but they weighted my bags once or twice when coming back from Malaysia. They told some of the passengers to check in the bags if over weight too much.

Jetstar is more strict carry-on bag. They weighted my backpack or the cabin size trolley most of the time if the bag seems bulky. Even stop me when we boarding the plane at the waiting room as I was carrying my GF's bag also, so they think I taking 2 bags alone.

One Streetwalker Harddrive, with laptop tripod inside the Harddrive, & Retro 10 for my clothes. The Harddrive can easily weight 10+ kg with laptop inside... if they weight in then good luck.

I second ThinkTank Streetwalker HardDrive + speedbelt + 2 skin pouches. Arrange the partitions so that you can fit your camera at the bottom-most compartment, reserve the top space for your clothes.

When on the go move your camera and most-used lenses into the skin pouches. Tripod can remain strapped at the rear.

P/S: I went to Cambodia few months back... brought my TTSW:HD but seriously I doubt I am going to carry the same bag again if I make another trip there. The Wats are tall and day trips involves lots of climbing. The TTSW:HD is torturing if your trip involves a lot of climbing... you will scream for leg massages every night!

thinktank streetwalker hard drive

One Streetwalker Harddrive, with laptop tripod inside the Harddrive, & Retro 10 for my clothes. The Harddrive can easily weight 10+ kg with laptop inside... if they weight in then good luck.

I took Jetstar, in my TTSW:HD I have my 1D Mark III, 16-35L, 50L, 70-300L, Lee filter kit, spare batts, 580EX2, 430EX etc... whole bag weighs around 15-20kg. Jetstar ground staff did not check my bag on either journey to and fro.

I guess it depends on luck. They might close one eye as they won't want to be held responsible if you lose your gears upon check-in.

Thanks seniors for all the advices :) do u guys carry the tripod naked or with tripod bags when strap to the backpack?

For budget airlines, can we carry one main backpack plus a small bag onboard?

Do u guys bring an external hdd along to xtra photos? Cos I have one 16gb, two 8gb sd card but unlike would it be enough for the whole trip?

tripod naked. easier to secure and saves time in accessing the tripod.

32gb was enough for me. (i shoot in RAW and i can get about 2000+ photos on 32gb using a 12MP DSLR). external hdd is quite troublesome, you need to bring your own SD card reader as well and there is a risk that the computers cant read your card/hdd plus the possibilities of computer virus. just bring more cards if you feel that it's not enough. memory cards are quite cheap these day.

for jetstar, the limit is 10kg and just one bag. i managed to fit my smaller pack into my main pack and under 10kg so there was no issue. my friend managed to get his main backpack plus his Billingham bag on board though, his total weight is 13kg plus. think the counter staff closed one eye for that.

on the way back from Hanoi, they didnt check at all. i guess if you are not following the rules, it depends on your luck.

To be honest you don't need a backpack for your gear. Suggest to just get a small shoulder bag and have the tripod naked.

thanks bro for all the advices, i have noted them down :)

To be honest you don't need a backpack for your gear. Suggest to just get a small shoulder bag and have the tripod naked.

yup..im thinking of it too, but wondering how do i attach the tripod to the shoulder bag?

cross sling the tripod over your shoulder?

then would need some kind of camera/tripod strap? is there tripod strap around or just diy haha

actually im thinking of Kata 3N1-10 DL the pros are the tripod system, weather sealed, small compartment for phones etc..the con is the weight :( and im not sure whether this can be put into the main backpack while travelling on bus?

actually im thinking of Kata 3N1-10 DL the pros are the tripod system, weather sealed, small compartment for phones etc..the con is the weight :( and im not sure whether this can be put into the main backpack while travelling on bus?

the reason for not using bagpack is that if someone sneaks on you and stole things from your bag, u wun know.

hence sling bag is much safer since u can sling to your front.