Backpack or Shoulder bags?

Backpack or Shoulder bag?

Results are only viewable after voting.

desmondnwj

Jun 11, 2008
Tiong Bahru
Suppose u can only buy one camera bag in this life (!), which would u pick?

My current bag: Lowepro Fastpack 200 (backpack)
Yays: personal belongings compartment, easier on the shoulders, convenient access to camera (unzips from the side).

Boos: super soaked top due to poor back ventilation, not as accessible as a shoulder bag.

What about yours?

Last edited:
desmondnwj said:
Suppose u can only buy one camera bag in this life (!), which would u pick?

My current bag: Lowepro Fastpack 200 (backpack)

Yays: personal belongings compartment, easier on the shoulders, convenient access to camera (unzips from the side).

Boos: super soaked top due to poor back ventilation, not as accessible as a shoulder bag.

What about yours?

I have a feeling that camera bags to us is like the designer bags to girls, one is never enough. We might use one bag a lot but we will always be tempted to buy a new one haha!!

Last edited:
I'd rather have a shoulder bag, more accessible equipment.

I would have both kinds of bag. I cant be bringing 2 bodies, 3 lens, 1 flash on a shoulder bag. My shoulder will definitely slant to one side. Haha..

Haha.. Its true. But it really depends on the purpose of the bag you are using for.
I prefer small messenger bags when doing local shoots. When going for overseas, prefer a backpack as it can hold more....

over the last 2 years i've tried lots types of carriers, and settled on the backpack
(kata-467) although for everyday use a 466 would be sufficient. Since 467 looks way large but i'm a little of the heavy side so it I guess its ok.

here are my observations,

lowepro slingshot 100 (1st bag), i like this one if your gear can fit

pros:
-small and light
-portable
-has a rain coat
-quick draw/change (very impt. for me)
-fatigue is not so noticeable even after long hauls (i admit my gear was lighter when i had this bag)

cons:
-not the best looking, and it gets worse as you go up to the bigger sizes.
small, not so much room for expansion or extra stuff for hiking/travelling.

after that I moved to Crumpler 7MDH because I just looks way nice

pros:
-nice looking (nicest looking camera bag i've owned)
-lots of storage space
-quick draw and change

cons:
-shoulder bags WILL hurt you in the long run (carrying it across my chest or just on one shoulder didn't change that), esp when you have a body, 2 x (2.8) zoom lenses and 2x flash with accessories in it. I felt it only after a month using it and had to lighten what I want to carry during trips/ outings. Basically the one and only reason I stopped using this was because i know it will be very bad for my spine if I keep doing so. This experience convinced me to get either a backpack or belt type for the next.

-after that I tried lowepro inverse 200, it looked ok but it is still too big for a beltpack on my waist (try sitting down with it and you'll know what I mean) and with my gear, it tilts over to the back that it was better to carry it inverted! well it was named inverse after all.. I adjusted all its straps to find that spot and it just doesn't work so this was a complete failure for me. later on i tried the lowepro outback to give beltpack format another try, it didnt fit my movement so I give beltpacks a miss.

next up was the Lowepro Flipside 300, the first actual backpack.

pros:
-decent looking
-lots of space
-very comfortable after long hauls
-more or less secure from pickpockets(?) because the bag opens at the back.
-has a tripod carrier

Cons:
-no quick access, you have to put the bag down to get to the gear and not so much pockets for accessories either.

-gets quite deep because of the design and when you slip in a tripod, you are bound to hit someone just turning around.

next bag I tried and actually stayed with was the kata 467

Pros:
-looks like any backpack, doesn't suck or stand out too much
-just enough camera gear space for travelling
-has a raincoat, although not built in
-has a laptop compartment up to 17" although i only carry a 12", the spare space goes to slim battery, portable mouse and a DIY flash diffuser
-accessory and etc space is quite nice
-not so quick access (you have to swing around and reach for the camera compartment, (good trade-off for me)
-has a tripod slot for the 467i very doable with the 467 version also.
-long hauls are bearable even with all the pockets and most of my gear in there. I still wouldn't recommend carrying heavy stuff all the time. you still have to be selective with your gear to lighten your load. max i can carry with here is an oly e-30 +12-60 2.8-4.0, 50-200 2.8-3.5, FL36r, FL 50, gels, filters, 12" laptop with accessories, wireless triggers, mp3 player and phone and a tripod, with one squashed sandwich. But I only did this to get on a plane and to the hotel, after that I still removed stuff and carried only what I felt like I needed.

cons:
-pockets are very accessible to skilled pickpockets also.
-the straps are not the most comfy, same with the fabric in contact with your back (it is soft enough but the shape and design isn't the best. Try Crumpler backpacks, i feel they are one of the best out there.
-it is big, too big for daily use unless you have the build to make it look medium sized, I'm looking at the 466i for the ideal size for almost everyone
-there is the "i" version, if you see a non "i" version avoid it..
-its not really quick access, but i manage, long arms would help.
-raincoat is not built in (like the slingshot 100)

At the end of the day you just have try them all out to pick what suits yourself best. still, avoid shoulder bags if you have heavy gear. I'm looking froward to try the Lowepro Fastpack out of curiosity.

Hi all, keep those reviews coming! This might just become a good reference for bag seekers. :D

P.S. maybe providing a link to the bag in question might give added convenience :)

I have free nikon shoulder bag and Lowepro backpack.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that my camera is not readily accessible with backpack.
I had to put down the backpack to chg lens.

i am in for back pack , i just feel sling bag is not good in the long run esp when it holds 3 lense , 1 cam and flash .

I have a feeling that camera bags to us is like the designer bags to girls, one is never enough. We might use one bag a lot but we will always be tempted to buy a new one haha!!

hmm for me it's deciding which hello kitty sticker to paste on my A550 next...

desmondnwj said:
What about yours?

I bought the ThinkTank Speed Demon on Sat. Tried it out on Sun. Overall more pro then cons. Quite comfortable on the waist with the shoulder belt support. Cons: already quite big but still a bit tight on space.

how about a bag for cycling... prob fit a body + 1-2 lenses plus accessories, water bottle or water bag (prob separate compartments so even if it leaks, doesn't get to the cam), and fitting so it doesn't bump around during the ride. i'm looking at kata (thanks to kumagelo's poison lol) T-212 or DT-211... anyone here who have similar bag requirements have better recommendations?

Bagpack or sling bags depends on your build stature and strength of each individual to carry the amount of camera gear capacity. It also depends on a person's liking and type of gear that usually carried for walkabout or travel.
For me, I use a sling bag to carry just one fixed-lens camera for walkabout and bagpack for travel oversea to carry two cameras, each fitted with different focal lengths for landscape, portrait and street photography together with extra battery and tripod.

I'd choose a Backpack.

A shoulder bag indeed does provide quicker access, but it is not practical as it tends to become heavy when you include anything more than 1 entry body, 2 lightweight lens, spare batteries/cards.

Rather than risking any shoulder damage, I would rather live with a "slower" backpack when travelling more than 5 hours.

The Lowepro ProTrekker 400AW fits my purpose in this case due to the amount of space it has as well as the 3 tripod holders and a slot specifically made for a hydration reservoir. A bigger pack means less need to purchase more bags when you add on to your "collection" of photography gear. :cool:

for me, sling bag is way better in terms of security and looks. currently using Crampler and im happy with it, :)

my vote is for backpack.. althought i'm still using shoulder bag now, but it's too heavy and troublesome carrying it one side... well, sooner or later i'll be switching to backpack =D

i like my messenger bag from nike. i think its called nike bike messenger. why?

the canvas material is waterproof. read, waterproof. not resistant.

i been through many storms with my dslr inside it. so far both me and the dslr survived. cannot say so much of the exterior of the bag. but the internal canvas is amazing.

good padding, helps a lot. takes a lot of strain too. downside is that its a messenger bag. long time sling on shoulder results in back problems if ur back muscles arent toned enough

Back pack can be preferrable