Backlane Clutter

Dec 26, 2009
Northerner
4695761184_383d3a07ea.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Behind every beautiful front farcade of a shophouse, is the hidden back alley, that is famously a total contrast to the image protrayed by the shophouse.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This picture was taken in Boat Quay, and I want to capture the immensity of the aircons + clutter-ness of the backlane.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I chose a B+W background, as it was pretty flat and doesn't convey any messages. The foreground is highlighted in its original dirty orangy colour to capture the viewer.

Last edited:
Personally, the selective colouring does not work for me here. :) Based on your composition, my eye is leading me towards the houses at the back, instead of the dirty wall in the front.

I would include the whole lane, instead of just the top of the shophouses, as it feels that the picture is just being cut off. The square composition does not work for me here. I think with the path/road, it would portray the clutterness better. (Slightly empty lane, but cluttered above.)

You can try showing more of the dirty wall, and if you haven't noticed, there is a huge lamppost in front which is very distracting. ;)

Hope this helps!

Haha. Keep on shooting! You can go back and try again. ;)

The selective colouring is very distracting , really . Its not that nice . The subject is there , but maybe you should try other angles and stuff ?

frank comment ... i like :bsmilie:

keep on shooting & improving e composition/presentation i shall ...

It doesn't seem like you've really conveyed the "clutter" factor. From the photo, it appears that the clutter comes from all the compressors but, it's only shown in the bottom right, as an extra.

The light post in the middle is very distracting as are the 2 buildings on the right that sneak into the frame.

Thanks for posting your image up and hope this helps.

The piece of sky included actually went against the idea of clutter:)

blown skies and selective don't work here.

and where is the lane?

yes looks cluttered. I would angle showing the backlane with lesser sky. The backlane would further emphasize the place is cramp = more clutter. just some ideas.

The clutter has turned your shot into a clutter as well. The composition doesn't work. Weird to have a backlane shot without the ground. No interesting subject, selective colouring does not work here. Distracting post in middle, distracing incomplete structures on tthe right.

B&W will look nicer ;p

First view on this, i though the picture is not rotate properly. lolz. the selected color part doesn't works on me too. mayb a total B&W or color picture will b better.

thks all for e constructive comments ...

haha ... abit "ma-loo" now :sweatsm: