Backing up your pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh2415

Apr 26, 2004
Kampung boy
Anyone care to share how you backup your pictures? :dunno: Additional hardisk? Burn into DVD (how long a DVD can last?)? Print everything out?

Thanks!

To each his/her own, I suppose, but I have a copy on hard disk (original + tiff) as well as on DVD. The word is that a good DVD should last 100 years:bigeyes: ... but I doubt that.

Had additional hdd to process pic. But best is when ur pic is not in use for a long time, burn out on DVDs (which Im planning to do so) So that you can really save ur space. Save the entire folder of ur Jpeg, Raw and TIFF. Anything you wan it to be which is easier for u to find. :)

Computer HDD ----> External HDD ------> DVD Copy

But if u want to be really really safe

Computer HDD ----> External HDD X2 (2 different disks in different geographical locations) ------> DVD Copy X2 (2 different disks in different geographical locations)

shouldn't go wrong with either one of those, or at least i hope not :sweat:

Just abit of OT, any recommendation of IDE HD (>200GB)? thinking of getting another HD for my external HD casing

kitkat said:
Just abit of OT, any recommendation of IDE HD (>200GB)? thinking of getting another HD for my external HD casing

Hitachi? Western Digital?

Virgo said:
Using 2xHD. If 1 fails, still got another one. :)

actually could be good to set up a data mirroring system say 2X 160GB disks, then 2 external and 2 dvd copies, even safer!!!! :D

Just depends on how much u want to spend to protect your pride and joy!

i hv 2 hdd in my pc... so 1 set of pics in each hdd.
then another 250gb external hdd to backup too.

guess u can cut cd or dvd, but cannot fully rely on them... it all depends on the quality of the dye used in them. i had a bad experience once... back up some office data in a cd, then when tried to read them 3 months later, some are unreadable... it was a nightmare

cheap blank cd/dvd are as good as a coaster

singapurasteve said:
I am going the same route. :D

This is a bit OT, but singapurasteve i think i may have met you before, did u go on 'wedding' themed shoot about 4 months ago with a model named Mel, and one of the other photogs was Phil Date and he brought a student along. May be talking to the completely wrong person here, but the name seems familiar!

It depends on budget also. The question here is 'backup'. What will be the safest and most economical will be the best.

IMO, 2 external hard disk with the same data already more than enough. The hard disk are not in operation most of the time. Likelyhood of both failing at the same time is quite slim. Also, I do periodic checks of the hard disk + regular additonal backups into these hard disks.

wildstallion said:
actually could be good to set up a data mirroring system say 2X 160GB disks, then 2 external and 2 dvd copies, even safer!!!! :D

Just depends on how much u want to spend to protect your pride and joy!

Thanks for the tips! Think I will go along this way.... HD1 --> HD2 --> DVD

Rgds

wildstallion said:
This is a bit OT, but singapurasteve i think i may have met you before, did u go on 'wedding' themed shoot about 4 months ago with a model named Mel, and one of the other photogs was Phil Date and he brought a student along. May be talking to the completely wrong person here, but the name seems familiar!

Sorry for the OT stuff, but, Yes that was me. Hope things are going well with you. Cheers.:thumbsup:

To keep things more OT: Does anyone have a source for Dual layer DVD's? Price/dvd? Thanks.

i always backup into DVD, I believe it is the best media. There is a tendency to take data lost or HDD crashes if you use it often, As for DVD, I burn them and keep them into dry box, sure can use after 10 years!!

taking about 2HDD... anyone knows of any good software that lets us sync 2 directories?

What has worked for me all these years: CF-HDD-HDD1-HDD2-EXT HDD-CDR-DVD-R

Thus what I get is 3 copies on HDDs (the initial copy from the CF card is deleted) and 3 copies on CDR and 1 copy on DVDr. CDRs used are Verbatim Datallife plus Super Azo and Fuji Taiyo Yuden. DVDs are Fujis too. Even with all this really redundant backup, I worry about the 'readability' of the data in the future.

I tend to buy smaller capacities HDDs and store them off-site once they are filled up. I also format the cards only when I have browse and made sure that the copied files are all there.

Then again, CDs and DVDs have to be stored in optimum conditions to last a number of years. All are in black jewel cases and in the dry cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.