Backdrop purchase

slmka

Dec 5, 2004
Hi,

I am looking for a backdrop purchase to try out some product shooting at home.

For the backdrop, is it alright to buy those cloths from Chinatown? Is there any surface type which is recommended?

Thanks.

I have tried using cloth as a backdrop and I find that its not that good.

it's hard to make it really straight so that there are no lines and creases.

for white cloth of cause you can overcome that by overexposing the background so that you don't see the lines, but it's hard for black cloth to underexpose until totally back

Cloth is a good background for some subjects and settings. Chinatown (above the hawker centre right?) is a popular place source of fabric for photographers.
If you want deep, deep black, nothing beats black velvet (it's a pain to keep dust-free though -- a lint roller helps). Satin is nice with shiny objects -- jewellery, cutlery etc. You get colours that just don't happen with paper b/gs.
One proviso it that colours aren't always what they appear. I bought a satiny green fabric once that came out blue-ish in photos. Nice, but didn't suit my product.

Either that you can post process to change colors, blur them, remove lines/dust/.... but since you mentioned that it's a product shot, the focus should be on that product and the background must not be a distraction.

Hi,

I am looking for a backdrop purchase to try out some product shooting at home.

For the backdrop, is it alright to buy those cloths from Chinatown? Is there any surface type which is recommended?

Thanks.
that depends of what subjects you are shooting, some go well with cloths, some don't,

if you only want simple solid color background, use laminate sheet, aka Formica, a best kept secret of professional photographers for many years.

Thanks everyone for the input =)

I think will go for the fabric version first.

catchlights: for laminate sheets, do I get them from places like artfriend (is it the correct shop name...)

Thanks everyone for the input =)

I think will go for the fabric version first.

catchlights: for laminate sheets, do I get them from places like artfriend (is it the correct shop name...)
if you can get it from ArtFriend than is not a secret at all...

anyway, they come in 4'x8', you can try evershine.com

Evershine Corporation