Backcast shadow on people

solar

Nov 17, 2007
When i throw my flash (580exii) direct on a person at night outdoor, there will be a backcast of shadow on him. How should i go about flashing :devil: so that there will be no shadow?

Pls advise. Thx in advance :heart:

"When i throw my flash (580exii) direct on a person at night outdoor" you'll be in deep trouble for causing hurt

When i throw my flash (580exii) direct on a person at night outdoor, there will be a backcast of shadow on him. How should i go about flashing :devil: so that there will be no shadow?

Hold your flash with left hand high up and camera on right hand using remote mode

:bigeyes: 1st you throw your flash on someone & then you flash................:think: Better stay away from you............:bsmilie:

Hold your flash with left hand high up and camera on right hand using remote mode

need accessory for this right? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

When there's light there'll be shadow no two ways about it. The control of your flash will result in harsh or soft shadow and where your shadow will land.

Generally, ..........
Direct on camera flash = harsh shadow directly behind
Off camera direct flash = harsh shadow to the side
Bounce flash ( to ceiling ) = soft shadow below

BTW, too bad you're using the 580exii, if you're using the Nikon SB800/900, I don't mind you throwing your flash at me also :bsmilie:

For Low Ceiling
- Bounce your flash to the ceiling
- Ask person not to stand too close to the wall behind

For High Ceiling
- Use a flash card or diffuser. Tilt your flash head 60 to 70 degree.
- Ask person not to stand too close to the wall behind

generally any objects will have highlight and shadow when the light shine on it.

only spirit will not have any shadow since they don't have physical form.

you sure you want to photograph "people with no shadow" at night?

think there is no way around this problem, u can only soften the effect by lowering your flash power or using bounce flash. how u bounce up to your creativity, wall or bounce card or ceiling or umbrella.

LL if u only got 1 flashgun - a basics about light is that the larger the light emitting surface the softer the shadow it cast, your 580ex2 the head surface area compare to a human is super small so if u can increase the surface to much much bigger to cover maybe half the human body u should get very nice soft shadow.

else the other way is to use multi flashgun, 1 to light up your subject and the other to wash out the shadow. but this will take alot of trial and error to do.

;p hope your subject was ok after you threw your 580ex2 at him or her, but i hope you missed and no one was hurt maybe less the 580ex2. :bsmilie:

offflash.jpg

this is anyway better than direct flash. If you used the sync cord as above, I guarantee it won't hurt anyone if you throw your flash but it may bounce on you :sweat:

this is more for outdoor if you have nobody to assist you.

Last edited:
Btw, how do you get a shadow if you're shooting outdoors and theres no wall or background for the shadow to cast on? Unless you're taking a wide shot..

Simple solution, take a half-body or closer shot.. No "backcast" of shadow, just the background would be black.. :D

Last edited:
hehe. mayb i used the wrong term to "throw" a flash at somebody :)

anyway so as to say, if there is no ceilings a shadow if inevitable den? Unless i use a remote or sync cord?

hehe. mayb i used the wrong term to "throw" a flash at somebody :)

anyway so as to say, if there is no ceilings a shadow if inevitable den? Unless i use a remote or sync cord?
how can it be NO shadow? unless you subject is transparent.

harsh shadow come from harsh lighting, increase the size of light source relatively to your subject will yield softer shadow, hence bounce light toward ceiling is most people will do. when there is no ceiling to bounce, get a large softbox is way to go.

hmm.. if there were two flashes, you could place a slave flashgun one to "illuminate" the wall... it'll kinda blow out the wall to rid it of shadows.

i haven't tried it, but it's something i read of the web.. somewhere, sometime ago.

pros, correct me if i'm wrong...

ok. thx ppl :)