Baby pictures:D5000 or D90 or D700?

CTN

May 1, 2006
Bishan
Due to work/family/time constraints, my photography is limited to taking baby pictures, mostly indoors, with ambient light, sometimes florescent light and often with SB-600 bounced off ceiling.

Still using the trusty D50 and SB-600 with 18-70mm DX, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, just added the 35mm f1.8 DX recently.

Thinking of adding another body, looking for opinions. Considering D5000, D90 or D700. Given my setup, which of the 3 is the best choice on a cost-to-performance basis? My criteria are clean high ISO performance(D50 sometimes too grainy) and fast autofocus(often miss shots with D50). Lighter weight is preferred, other features not so important.

Due to work/family/time constraints, my photography is limited to taking baby pictures, mostly indoors, with ambient light, sometimes florescent light and often with SB-600 bounced off ceiling.

Still using the trusty D50 and SB-600 with 18-70mm DX, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, just added the 35mm f1.8 DX recently.

Thinking of adding another body, looking for opinions. Considering D5000, D90 or D700. Given my setup, which of the 3 is the best choice on a cost-to-performance basis? My criteria are clean high ISO performance(D50 sometimes too grainy) and fast autofocus(often miss shots with D50). Lighter weight is preferred, other features not so important.

I would recommend D90 (11 AF points and high ISO 6400) or D300s (51 AF points and high ISO 6400) as u r using 50mm f1.8 lens cos D5000 will not able to autofocus it. If u r getting the D700 then u had to get new lens for ur D700 as if u uses DX len on full frame body the megapixel will be cut down by half (if i am not wrong) then it will be a waste of getting a D700.

D90 (light weight)... if money is not a problem D700 (low light focusing). eventually upgrade all lens to full frame.

Last edited:
You are having 2 DX in your arsernal, which includes a newly bought 35mm. what i would suggest would be a D300s, same ISO performance as D90 or the D700 which has cleaner iso performance but u get 6mp from it on DX lenses.

D300s and D700 would provide better and faster af compared to the D90 due to the technology used inside.

Hope this helps :)

They'll all do the job well. Of course, if you don't have any fiscal concerns, you can just go for the D700

The 2 existing DX lenses should not be a big concern; there is always the B&S to help. If I were to get the D700, I will likely sell the DXs and get a 16-35mm f4 VR to use on both bodies. In any case, the D50 is getting old and could decide to retire or conk off on its own.

What I am more interested in is whether the additional $$ is worth it, given my type of usage. D700 over a D90 where I can save $2k++ or even D5000 for its light weight.

I did not consider the D300s initially because the price diff with D700 is not that much, but I am open to suggestions if convincing.

if you are a frequent shooter in low light conditions, i would say the price difference of the D700 would be worth it.

But if the difference of 2k++ does bother u quite abit, i suggest sticking with the D90 and change the 50 1.8 into a 1.4

since u already have a DX body maybe you should get into FX..

Because you're not a frequent shooter, I suggest you get the D90. Saves you lots of $$. No change in setup required, delivers very good high ISO pictures and focusing is fast.

Most importantly, D90 is an upgrade to your D50. You get back what you're familiar with, plus some new features. Compare to D5000, you don't get the LCD screen on the top, you don't get AF on non-AFS lenses (e.g. your 50 1.8 & 85 1.8)

If money is no issue, you can go for D700 for it's FX. But honestly, you need to shoot alot to develop your photographing skills and technique, expose yourself to different shooting opportunities and conditions (not just taking photos of your baby), in order to make full use of the D700.

None of the above. Continue to use your D50. Wait for the the replacements of these models.

None of the above. Continue to use your D50. Wait for the the replacements of these models.
:D wonder when Nikon will announce new models, and it will be months before it becomes available.

Anyone can tell me, between D700 and D90, how many stops advantage can I get out of the D700 high ISO performance?
1 stop, maybe not worth it. :thumbsd:
2 stops or more, I will seriously consider getting it.:thumbsup:

D90, high iso performance of 3200

D700, higher performance of up to 6400

and there is still Hi 0.3, 0.7, 1.0 in each of these camera

:D wonder when Nikon will announce new models, and it will be months before it becomes available.

Anyone can tell me, between D700 and D90, how many stops advantage can I get out of the D700 high ISO performance?
1 stop, maybe not worth it. :thumbsd:
2 stops or more, I will seriously consider getting it.:thumbsup:

About 1.5 stops.

They will usually announce soon after you buy.

not considering the newer D300s?

I think the adv of D700 is not just high ISO.

The AF is very impt too. I used to have both the D5000 and D700 at the same time.

I thought the AF in D700 is much more accurate and better at tracking. I believe high ISO not really impt and the D5000 is pretty close to D700.

I sold the D5000 and kept the D700 mainly for the AF and the DOF. 50mm f1.4 behaves very differently on the D700 and D5000.

i was in your same shoes when I upgraded from crop to D700. Routinely shoot at iso3200-6400 in indoor lighting, cos dun want flash. Little noise in RAW, plus can easily correct skin tones. Plus D700 low light focusing very accurate, tracks my kids erratic running when growing up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21902679@N03/tags/d700/

Mainly the focusing system inside the D700 and D5000 are different.
D700 uses Multicam 3500 while D5000 uses the Multicam 1000.