B747 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyzts

Sep 22, 2006
Just want to share a photo of the piping and wiring of a Boeing 747 jet engine. Comments welcome. :)

3873703413_052d4ef1ff_o.jpg

For those who doesn't work in the Airline House or related field, doesn't know what is this, including myself.
For reference and record usage, this already serve its purpose.

Was expecting to see the whole jet engine.

interesting!

but like what cabby said, its not really relevant to most people who don't really understand or appreciate.

from a engineering photo point of view, i find it hard to find the subject in that photo.

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments. Your reactions are perfectly valid. But I suggest an alternate way of looking at and enjoying the photo. It may be difficult to appreciate on a computer screen and maybe work better when printed large, but look at the lines, the curves, the roundedness of the pipes, the gradation of the tones from black to the various shades of grey to the hightlights, the interplay between the monotones of the metallic surfaces and the hints of colour in the wiring, and the overall geometry of the composition.

Maybe one way to look at it is to enjoy the photo of the engine in the same way you would look at and enjoy the photo at the following link ;-)

guide_h.jpg

where is the engine??
i only see the exhaust..lol

Most probably a recently overhauled engine because the plug does not look new. The exhaust of the engine gives the thrust which propels the aircraft forward. That is most likely a bleed valve. I am not able to acertain whether it is a P&W or GE unless it is an SIA aircraft

Most probably a recently overhauled engine because the plug does not look new. The exhaust of the engine gives the thrust which propels the aircraft forward. That is most likely a bleed valve. I am not able to acertain whether it is a P&W or GE unless it is an SIA aircraft
SIA B744 are all equipped with the PW4056. ;)

Hi! Looks like I've attracted a few fellow aviation enthusiasts.:)

Well, there's one other major engine manufacturer you've missed: Rolls-Royce. If I recall, this was an RB-211. It's pretty old. In fact, it's sitting in a museum, the London Science Museum. I believe it was taken from an old JAL 747 that has been cannibalized for display. In fact, you can see an entire cross-section slice from the aircraft at the museum. Here's a photo of it on the museum's website:

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/images/I006/10216181.aspx

You can actually see part of the engine that I photographed on display in the background.

PS. Still nobody interested in or appreciates the photo rather than the engine?:(

Rolls Royce make good engines!
my planes r flying with them! so far no problem given! quiet and silent engines compared to others =)
btw, my planes r fitted with the BR710 engines. good stuff!

cheers

PS. Still nobody interested in or appreciates the photo rather than the engine?:(
In my most humble opinion, it would have been better if you had posted a photo of the fan blades instead, this is so that even people with absolutely no engineering knowledge of the Rolls Royce RB211-524 series high-bypass turbofan will still be able to identify it as a section of a jet engine.

My two cents. ;)

Nothing much to pin point on the pic. Those wires and cables what not are neatly tied up, and those piping aleady been planned during the design stage, the clean environment also not done by the photographer, so is the lighting.
Just a record shot so to say, nothing is wrong but also nothing to be highlighted.

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. Don't know why the photo strikes a chord in me. Maybe I'm just nuts about plane engines. But looks like everyone else doesn't feel the same about the photo :bsmilie:

Hmm ... I'm curious what everyone thinks about William Eggleston's green shower photo linked above. Why is it considered a masterpiece fit for a museum? It's just a photo of a somewhat dirty shower no? And lighting quite bad, flashlight too obviously reflected on the tiled wall? I can't quite figure out when a still life photo is considered "artistic" and when it is just an unremarkable "record shot"...Am seriously puzzled... :think:

Err.. museum showcases history mah.. not art.. so the pictures doesn't have to be "artistically" attractive.. maybe?

Rolls Royce make good engines!
my planes r flying with them! so far no problem given! quiet and silent engines compared to others =)
btw, my planes r fitted with the BR710 engines. good stuff!

cheers

Agree RR makes good engines :thumbsup::thumbsup:

But not always. About 10 years back I was on a CX flight when one of the engines stalled about 30 mins into the flight. The aircraft had to turn back for an unscheduled landing at the originating airfield. If I recall, it was an Airbus 320 fitted with an RR Trent engine, the model of which I can't recall. About a month later, same thing happen on another CX A320 flight. This time one engine flamed out.:sweat:

TO me, it is more of an industry photography...

Look at the centre bottom, is that a cable loom tight with a locking wire and it is secure on the pipeline? It don't look right for me. Is it a hot bleed air duct?

Status
Not open for further replies.