B/w studio shot

S2Glow

Nov 23, 2011
9150171678_14857534ce_z.jpg

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
Never did an b/w photo before therefore i am confused about whether this treatment is alright and the composition itself please critique, still learning studio photography! please feedback on the pp and the overall photo itself

2.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Taken in a small studio whereby the family is normal emotion.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
i think is fine because both of their expression show that they trust each other but i want honest opinion from the rest so i can improve.

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
Never did an b/w photo before therefore i am confused about whether this treatment is alright and the composition itself please critique, still learning studio photography! please feedback on the pp and the overall photo itself

2.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Taken in a small studio whereby the family is normal emotion.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
i think is fine because both of their expression show that they trust each other but i want honest opinion from the rest so i can improve.

1) Contrast level of black and white are personal preference thing. Do what you like, I am neutral to yours. Some people like hard contrast, some people like low contrast. Composition is against basic photography norms due to cutting of the heads and fingers. I am ok with it for art shots or from photographers with strong styles, but for a basic studio picture, this is a straight fail if the critic is old school. Background lighting is not even. Could be your flash sync.

2) Ok.

3) Did you skipped 3?

4) Neutral to it. Just a boring pic to me, since I donno them. They may love it though, which is what matters.

Last edited:
These are my opinions:
1) Why have you decided to but the subjects to the right half of the whole image, until crop both their heads?
2) No texture so there must be very strong facial or body expression for B&W treatment. But non of the 2 are present too.
3) Maybe you can try focusing more on their face since the pose not strong. Try crop away the bottom until the lady's arm? But I think you should pp her arm so it doesn't look so big like now.
4) If you want to focus their face, maybe she dress should be more simple eg no design on the sleeve?

lighting is too 2 dimensional.

fair.
evenly lit although could be more interesting (maybe with hairlight? rimlight?)
i am personally uncomfortable with truncated body parts. eg, gentleman's head, and the lady's hair . It looks like their hair is quite beautiful and if it could be shown that would be awesome, especially if there is a 3rd light illuminating their hair

Hi great attempt you have.

A few things on my own opinion.

When doing a studio shoot, the photo usually must achieve almost perfect. Because you have everything in control unlike doing nature landscape or street shooting. So the lighting here can be improved.

I could see tension between the two models. Their hands look too tight and lady's arm too stiff. Avoid right angle, it can be improve by moving her arm bend more towards herself.

Take note on the models' eyes, too much white area. Next time you can direct the model to look at his right & her left ear, if its not enough then direct then to look else where to see more of their pupils.

And some have mentioned, improve on framing. Too much unwanted space below and heads are not crop strategically.

Just some of my comments that cross my mind. Some experienced bros here can give their more accurate comments.