B+w nd110

MrFunnyBaby

Jun 22, 2010
I just got my B+W ND110 filter (10 stop). I have a question on the meaning of 10 stop. Lets say i have a shot at 1/200 F8 ISO 100 for the correct exposure. then with the 10 stop, what is the setting then?

Or shall we have another example that make it easier to understand with 1sec shutter, 10 stop down is how many sec?

I just got my B+W ND110 filter (10 stop). I have a question on the meaning of 10 stop. Lets say i have a shot at 1/200 F8 ISO 100 for the correct exposure. then with the 10 stop, what is the setting then?

Or shall we have another example that make it easier to understand with 1sec shutter, 10 stop down is how many sec?

1sec + 10stop

1sec x2 = 2sec
2sec x2 = 4sec
4sec x2 = 8sec
8sec x2 = 16sec
16sec x2 = 32sec
32sec x2 = 64sec
64sec x2 = 128sec
128sec x2 = 256sec
256sec x2 = 512sec
512sec x2 = 1024sec

so basically is just scroll down the shutter speed 10 times right? but it doesn't work that way le... i will still get very under expose photo.

so basically is just scroll down the shutter speed 10 times right? but it doesn't work that way le... i will still get very under expose photo.

your shutter probably set to 1/2 or 1/3 of a stop dependent on what camera you are using.. Dun be lazy, Leong23 had taught you how to calculate. Take a calculator with you when you go shooting.. Or buy a Iphone or ipod touch and download the f stop apps.

And read your manual...

Last edited:

Simply 1 second * 1000 for the easiest calculation.

If you reach the max, go manual and use bulb mode and time your shot.

This is a bit more Maths than counting 'clicks' ... did you notice the scheme of doubling times per stop? Check your display, it shows you exposure times. If you hit 'bulb' then you either take a stop watch or adjust ISO and aperture accordingly. Aperture stops are explained in the Newbies Guide. ISO works with simple doubling: ISO200 = 1 stop faster than ISO 100. Again, some cameras offer half steps or other fractions.

Hi TS,

If you have an iPhone you can always download Long Time Exposure Calculator for free:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/longtime-exposure-calculator/id362297743?mt=8

If you don't have one like me, I always bring along this calculation table with me :

2267881902_c346069f4a_b.jpg

Hope these help.. Enjoy shooting long exposures :)

Got it... Read quite a bit for the last hour... Mine is 1/3 stop per click. Will dl the iphone app too. thats fantastic.. And also read up about aperture stop too.. now i got all clear up!!!

Thanks guys, you guys are great...

Don't have to calculate so hard. And it is not exactly 10 stops.

If you look at the box the filter came with you will see the following: ND110 X1000

X1000 means you multiply whatever shutter speed you have with 1000.

So if the exposure is 1/200s, with ND110 on, it beomces = 5s
So if the exposure is 1s, with ND110 on, it beomces = 1000s = 16m 40s

And if you get the Hoya ND400, you multiply your shutter speed with 400.

Last edited:
:bsmilie: I think it "feels" like getting a clear filter and slap some thick black paint on it....

:bsmilie:
btw, that would roughly need a 20 stop B+W ND(ND120???)...maybe can stack 2 ND110 to do so...

Last edited:
Hi TS,

If you have an iPhone you can always download Long Time Exposure Calculator for free:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/longtime-exposure-calculator/id362297743?mt=8

If you don't have one like me, I always bring along this calculation table with me :

2267881902_c346069f4a_b.jpg

Hope these help.. Enjoy shooting long exposures :)

wah steady! i didnt know that this kind of table exist..

i just use my finger to counter the exposure setting...:bsmilie:

and along the way, if there is light shift, i have compensate a little using my brain...:bsmilie:

and along the way, if there is light shift, i have compensate a little using my brain...:bsmilie:

That's how the guru does it.:angel::cool::angel:

this is what we usually call pro... i can imagine u using your fingers like the fengshui masters

Did you use up your toes too? haha..seems like fingers not enuff leh...

:D that's why you are at your own level Thomas.
I don't really use this also, it's so crumpled and thorn now. I usually just guess when I get the usual exposure before I attach the filter. If it doesn't look right I just compensate again and reshoot hehe..But it is quite handy when I get some reading that I'm not familiar with and get confused half-way calculating in my mind..my maths is so poor! :bsmilie:

Last edited: