B+W Käsesemann MRC or Heliopan SH-PMC?

B+W Käsesemann MRC or Heliopan SH-PMC?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobWithers

Aug 9, 2005
Hey all,

I would just like your opinion on these filters. Both polarizers...both good, but which is better...and why?

B+W Käsesemann MRC Polarizer
Heliopan SH-PMC Polarizer

Also, some others from other forums claim the B+W Käsesemann MRC coating is not as good as the regular B+W MRC Polarizer...have any of you heard of this?

Thanks,

Rob

Not sure about Heliopan now but the Kasemann from B+W sucks.
I ordered it once and did not take, instead got the Nikon slim. Much better

RobWithers said:
Hey all,

I would just like your opinion on these filters. Both polarizers...both good, but which is better...and why?

Also, some others from other forums claim the B+W Käsesemann MRC coating is not as good as the regular B+W MRC Polarizer...have any of you heard of this?

Thanks,

Rob

Sucks...those are strong words...why did it suck? What was wrong with it?

RobWithers said:
Hey all,

Thanks,

Rob
IS the "B+W Käsesemann MRC" made of 'plastic' material instead of glass? Personally, I'm using both the Nikon Poly'er and the B+W MRC Poly'er. Both are good, but with personal preference towards Nikon's. A friend is using Heliopan SH-PMC Polarizer, which I think is glossly over-priced with the same quality as Nikon's. But my friend sweared by it...

eric69 said:
IS the "B+W Käsesemann MRC" made of 'plastic' material instead of glass? Personally, I'm using both the Nikon Poly'er and the B+W MRC Poly'er. Both are good, but with personal preference towards Nikon's. A friend is using Heliopan SH-PMC Polarizer, which I think is glossly over-priced with the same quality as Nikon's. But my friend sweared by it...

Nope...is B+W's highest quality polarizer...edge sealed using Kaesemann polarizing foil...only $10 than the MRC version...supposed to be better (according to B+W)

That is what I thought that's why I ordered. Suppose to be better than Nikon.
Yep it is edge sealed etc but the surface coating leaves much to be desired.
It seems to me that their normal CP are better than the Kaesemann.

RobWithers said:
Nope...is B+W's highest quality polarizer...edge sealed using Kaesemann polarizing foil...only $10 than the MRC version...supposed to be better (according to B+W)

Dennis said:
That is what I thought that's why I ordered. Suppose to be better than Nikon.
Yep it is edge sealed etc but the surface coating leaves much to be desired.
It seems to me that their normal CP are better than the Kaesemann.

Dennis, what is it that you didn't like about the Kaesemann? You say that it wasn't satisfactory...why?

thx

Dennis ;)

1) What was wrong with the coating?

2) Did it not clean well?

3) Was there too much reflections...too much lens flare?

4) Are you sure your Kaesemann was "Multi-resistant Coated" and not "Multi-Coated" (two completely different coatings...one being MUCH better than the other...Multi-Coated is their old technique)?

Rob

Coating was uneven, you can see it. Difficult to explain but you will know it once you see it.
It looks like bumps. Cannot be cleaned off. Did not even try it after looking at the coating so not sure on reflection and flare. Was too disapointed to check if it was multi-resistant or not. My consideration was to get the best CP that can be offered at that time. My recommendation is to get the Nikon CPII ones.

RobWithers said:
Dennis ;)

1) What was wrong with the coating?

2) Did it not clean well?

3) Was there too much reflections...too much lens flare?

4) Are you sure your Kaesemann was "Multi-resistant Coated" and not "Multi-Coated" (two completely different coatings...one being MUCH better than the other...Multi-Coated is their old technique)?

Rob

Ok...thanks Dennis ;)

Sort of came across this review of circular polarizer at http://www.the-digital-picture.com This person who reviewed it mentioned:

Of specific note to B+W Circular Polarizer Filter users: The surface of B+W CP Filters looks mottled - almost deformed - when held at the right angle under the right lighting. This is normal. Here is B+W/Schneider Optics' explanation of the anomaly ...

It is a known cosmetic side effect (artifact) of the high performance polarizing foils that Schneider/B+W uses in its True-Pols to produce a "ripple reflection" to the human eye when viewing high intensity reflected light that "bounces" off the actual polarizing foil. This is simply a "reflected artifact" and is not transmitted through the lens.

This effect is apparent when viewing the filter under certain specific lighting conditions (such as a bright table light being reflected off the polarizing foil's surface from 45 degrees behind the viewer). It appears as a slight visual "rippling" appearance in the virtual surface of the foil. You cannot see this effect under any other viewing conditions. It is an artifact from a reflection coming from the polarizing film.

This phenomenon shows up in the visual appearance of the filter only and has no affect on the photograph (transmitted) image at all.

:)

Dennis said:
Coating was uneven, you can see it. Difficult to explain but you will know it once you see it.
It looks like bumps. Cannot be cleaned off. Did not even try it after looking at the coating so not sure on reflection and flare. Was too disapointed to check if it was multi-resistant or not. My consideration was to get the best CP that can be offered at that time. My recommendation is to get the Nikon CPII ones.

Hey Moonstone,

I read about the ripple effect about a week back but Dennis seemed so sure it was defective...kinda odd that he didn't even try out the filter, but whatever makes you happy. I know the Nikons are good CP, but they are even more expensive than B+W's and you are most definitely paying for the name Nikon...just the same way brand-name (Canon, Nikon, etc...) lenses are marked up.

Mmm not sure about the B+W now if it is not a defect but I will not take the chance, I believe Heliopan does not have this problem as I used them before but now don't know where to get them other than the shop at Chinatown (not even sure if they still sell them). Nikon is good, not just for the brand. I don't take chances as I don't buy many filters now that I use digital but CP is a essential one, so get the best you can afford.

RobWithers said:
Hey Moonstone,

I read about the ripple effect about a week back but Dennis seemed so sure it was defective...kinda odd that he didn't even try out the filter, but whatever makes you happy. I know the Nikons are good CP, but they are even more expensive than B+W's and you are most definitely paying for the name Nikon...just the same way brand-name (Canon, Nikon, etc...) lenses are marked up.

RobWithers said:
Hey Moonstone,

The Nikon CPIIs are about $40 more than a B+W CP.

Okay, I will go for the B+W Käsesemann and see how it works. But so far Cathay Photo doesn't have the stock, need to go down personally to place a special order. So will let you guys know if it good or not.:D

Yeh, nobody have stock and must special order.
The last time I waited for quite sometime before it arrives.

Moonstone said:
Okay, I will go for the B+W Käsesemann and see how it works. But so far Cathay Photo doesn't have the stock, need to go down personally to place a special order. So will let you guys know if it good or not.:D

Moonstone said:

Not sure what Cathay Photo is but B&H might have them for you...depending on the size.

I am planning to order the 77mm but the only one they have stock is the slim Kaesemann and I want the front threads so I have to wait....plus they're on vacation for a week anyway...here is a link to B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...35_530&shs=&ci=115&ac=&Submit.x=10&Submit.y=5

RobWithers said:
Not sure what Cathay Photo is but B&H might have them for you...depending on the size.

I am planning to order the 77mm but the only one they have stock is the slim Kaesemann and I want the front threads so I have to wait....plus they're on vacation for a week anyway...here is a link to B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...35_530&shs=&ci=115&ac=&Submit.x=10&Submit.y=5
That's where the $40 extra for Nikon CIR-PL II comes in, it's the slim version, and has front threads.

You're not local eh?

espn said:
That's where the $40 extra for Nikon CIR-PL II comes in, it's the slim version, and has front threads.

You're not local eh?

Actually the Nikon is $25 cheaper...I was wrong...as you can see by this link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...5_530&shs=&ci=115&ac=&Submit.x=16&Submit.y=10

I'm not sure what that means in terms of quality between the 2 brands...I know everywhere else the Kaeseman is above $210US and here in Canada, $330US....B&H seem to be able to get extreamly good prices (probably becuase of their buying power.

I don't know much about the Nikon polarizer as I am a Canon guy but what type of glass is it? What type of metal is the ring made from? Is it multi-coated? Is it edge-sealed? I dunno...

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.