B+W filters: worth paying so much?

Is it worth it paying so much more for B+W filters over basic hoya ones?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I have mentioned earlier, I have no rights or the intentions to start a war of words with you. Not that I am a coward. Just that I find it pointless to argue with a mofo (go figure what this American lingo means).

Anyway, I was trained to be a professional photographer since the 1980s. I have a MFA degree in Imaging Arts from one of the most established photography institution in the world; but of course, that does not mean that I am a good photographer.

Can you please kindly quote your credentials.

Whatever lingual u're hurling at doesn't matter to me. I also don't want to start a mini war here cos as u said, it's pointless. I told u earlier on that i'm not a commercial photographer but have taken numerous events for companies and everything i learned myself over the years and i'm still continuing to improve myself.

I've met many diff types of pple and u're just another one of them. No point flauting your status here to show that u're 'someone' here. Everyone here's to learn and in this case justifying the cost for a B+W and i think it's worth it. Why are u getting more into this when it's only something so simple? Kinda eccentric.

lol calm down its only a filter brand

I made my presence very clear. It is pointless for me to argue over some filters that don't even worth a quarter of what most my lenses cost.

I apologize for OTing and my rudeness. Fellow CSers who know me know that I am actually a very nice person. This mofo just got into my nerves for what he posted.

Bro', relax, I think most of the experienced photographers in this forum agree with you, it's just that they have given up posting in "equipment worshipping threads." I use Hoya SHMC exclusively and I don't even think about the filter thats on my lens anymore and don't check it every 5 minutes to clean and blow dust off. Instead, I prefer to think about how to get a good photo.

quality matter, but $ matter as much also... i get the best bag for bucks filter. :thumbsup:

I made my presence very clear. It is pointless for me to argue over some filters that don't even worth a quarter of what most my lenses cost.

I apologize for OTing and my rudeness. Fellow CSers who know me know that I am actually a very nice person. This mofo just got into my nerves for what he posted.

Correct. But lenses and filters are different things altogether. There're many pple here who'll vouch for B+Ws as users themselves. I'm not saying that others are bad but i prefer the quality of B+Ws. FYI i was using Hoyas all along until only over a year ago.

What goes around, comes around. I rest my case on this too. Cos when u give crap, u get crap.

Just my 2 cents.

it's just that they have given up posting in "equipment worshipping threads."

i think it is not very nice to label people as equipment worshippers just becos one group prefers a different set of equipment than the other, and that equipment set happens to be more expensive. likewise i'm shouldn't be saying those sports reporters using their canon 1D mark whatever are all equipment worshippers, rite?

i believe both parties have come out to vouch for their PERSONAL experience, based on practical aspects they have each gone through. the newbies posted these thread becos they need reassurances and wanted to gather mass feedback rather than individual opinions.

all in all, such threads are still healthy as they provide a figure for assessment of satisfaction (of cos at different threshold for each individuals). one can then judge his purchase by the expectations.

although most prefered B+W becos most find it easier to clean, i do appreciate those who have offered their alternative points of views and on what grounds they based it on. sometimes an avid outdoor amateur may have different emphasis and concerns from an experienced studio professional, for example. so let's respect each other and stop bringing in issues of credential or seniority, ok?

noob question here....

can use filter with lens hood attached?

how to maintain and clean the filter? can wash with soapy water?

TIA

What does Photoshop got to do with the brand of filters someone uses? Please enlighten me. Now, before you answer my question, keep in mind that I am a Photoshop instructor and a commercial photographer for more than 15 years.

The late Ansel Adams shot with film. Many of his filters are Tiffens (which are OEM by Hoya). One of Ansel's student, John Sexton shoots with film - he uses Hoya filter. Bruce Davidson is a film shooter, he uses Hoya filters also. Michael Yamashita was a National Geographic photographer, and currently a photo instructor. He uses either Nikon or Hoya filters when he shoots film. Another NG photographer, the late Galen Rowell uses an array of Singh-Ray, Nikon and Hoya filters. He is a film shooter. Do they tweak their images in Photoshop, I doubt so. Not Ansel Adam at least. He died even before Photoshop was invented. Galen Rowell was never an advocate of image manipulation.

As for myself, I shoot with both film and digital. I did not find using either Hoya or B+W filters contributes to any advantages or disadvantages in my image making process. I can't even tell which of my slides are made with which brand of filter.

Nice of you to pump out your Photographers' Histories. Perhaps to the best of your knowledge already. There are tonnes of other photographers out there, perhaps the rest of them do not like Hoyas?

Fellow CSers who know me know that I am actually a very nice person.

Really? Remember the time when you promised cheap Photoshop lessons only to raise the price ever again till we ignored you?

This mofo just got into my nerves for what he posted.

You are still calling Snoweagle a mofo till the last statement that you've made here. And you are apologizing for your OT-ing and Rudeness? Duh. :angry:

can use filter with lens hood attached?

As long as there's no mechanical obstruction or vignetting, it is generally better to use a lens hood, in particular when putting another sheet of glass at the very end of the lens where it's most prone to cause flare.

how to maintain and clean the filter? can wash with soapy water?

Dish detergent and a good rinse with copiuous amounts of water can work quite well, but it's better to take the filter glass out of the mount to prevent water from being trapped. For laminates (such as polarizers) there's also risk that water may seep into tiny gaps and cause delamination.

I use B+W filler since to get clearer view maybe brighter or cutting out uv,
I don't use filler and hood now, cos I pay $$$$ for my lens and by putting a filter infront will somehow affect the light entering my lens.
If can affort I will go for a good filter if not better not to use it.
Just my view.

Go eat something oily and then thumb your filter, if it wipes of easy, most likely you are using a B+W MRC or something in the same grade. And they will not come cheap.

Brands of filter does not matter, the quality does.

When you are a photojournalist and someone thumps your camera intentionally to make you lose your shot, then a MRC will save the day. (Spit and wipe on shirt).

If you are a casual shooter, then nothing matters.

(Again, you can always REMOVE the filter).

If money is not an issue and you want to buy something that allows you to sleep in peace, then invest in good quality filters. Companies will not have invested so much money into R&D if it is not worth anything.

I owned filters from Kenko, Hoya, to B+W MRCs by the way. So this is not assumption but a user feedback.

As I have mentioned earlier, I have no rights or the intentions to start a war of words with you. Not that I am a coward. Just that I find it pointless to argue with a 'mofo' (go figure what this American lingo means)....

Is there a need to use such language in CS? Keep your conversations as civilised as possible.

This is a reminder to all, if you have forgotten to read the ClubSNAP's Terms of Use, Rules and Regulations , please read it again

Thanks

Go eat something oily and then thumb your filter, if it wipes of easy, most likely you are using a B+W MRC or something in the same grade. And they will not come cheap.

Brands of filter does not matter, the quality does.

When you are a photojournalist and someone thumps your camera intentionally to make you lose your shot, then a MRC will save the day. (Spit and wipe on shirt).

If you are a casual shooter, then nothing matters.

(Again, you can always REMOVE the filter).

If money is not an issue and you want to buy something that allows you to sleep in peace, then invest in good quality filters. Companies will not have invested so much money into R&D if it is not worth anything.

I owned filters from Kenko, Hoya, to B+W MRCs by the way. So this is not assumption but a user feedback.

Friend, photojournalist like me don't use filter-we change the lens if need be, or use the secondary body. (Of course, since it's not we pay for the camera/lens....)

And also, it is unlikely someone can "thumps your camera intentionally"-we usually shoot with a moderate telephoto, so we are pretty far away from body to body contact, giving us some seconds to move away.

of course, this is all in the US lah.. for SG, I notice that they only use 1 camera and change the lenses if needed.

Friend, photojournalist like me don't use filter-we change the lens if need be, or use the secondary body. (Of course, since it's not we pay for the camera/lens....)

And also, it is unlikely someone can "thumps your camera intentionally"-we usually shoot with a moderate telephoto, so we are pretty far away from body to body contact, giving us some seconds to move away.

of course, this is all in the US lah.. for SG, I notice that they only use 1 camera and change the lenses if needed.

Not when you shoot fashion runways and celebrities... you have a million people around you. Guess we are covering different things. Fistfights are common as well from all that body contact... No, I use 2 bodies too, but chaos happens. Wild Wild East, I tell you.

When you start shooting freelance and have no free gear, that is when you start to think about scratching your lens a little more. LOL.

Not when you shoot fashion runways and celebrities... you have a million people around you. Guess we are covering different things. Fistfights are common as well from all that body contact... No, I use 2 bodies too, but chaos happens. Wild Wild East, I tell you.

When you start shooting freelance and have no free gear, that is when you start to think about scratching your lens a little more. LOL.

I'm shooting freelance now-using B+W, but used to use hoya anyway. Don't think the price gap worth it, but since I got a few extra bucks to spare *shrugs* :dunno:

Anyway if anything happen, I won't clean the filter on the spot-I prob remove it totally and continue shooting. But that said, most of the time (unless I shooting near water) I don't even use filters, I depend on the lens hood to prevent itchy fingers from touching the lens surface.

shoting fashion runways---fistfights? :sweat:

hi. i have a B+W 55E 010 1X lens filter but i don't know what it is. anyone knows?

I'm shooting freelance now-using B+W, but used to use hoya anyway. Don't think the price gap worth it, but since I got a few extra bucks to spare *shrugs* :dunno:

Anyway if anything happen, I won't clean the filter on the spot-I prob remove it totally and continue shooting. But that said, most of the time (unless I shooting near water) I don't even use filters, I depend on the lens hood to prevent itchy fingers from touching the lens surface.

shoting fashion runways---fistfights? :sweat:

Just curious, how many spare lens you carry and how heavy is your total load?

Just curious, how many spare lens you carry and how heavy is your total load?

Now? Now I just wack everything with 18-200mm. Last time usually 2 bodies 1 normal zoom 1 telephoto, SB-800, with homemade car battery pack

To Snoweagle,

I hereby sincerely apologize to you regarding name calling. :embrass:

However, I still stand by the fact that Hoya filters offer better value compared to B+W filters. Performance-wise, I agree that Hoya filters may not necessarily better than B+W filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.