B + W Filter Why pay more for Slim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terence19

Sep 4, 2006
JERVOIS
I just want to know if there is any advantage to paying more for slim B +W UV Haze Filter?

I just want to know if there is any advantage to paying more for slim B +W UV Haze Filter?

Slim filters eliminates vignetting caused by standard filters especially on ultra wide lenses. In addition, slim filters look less 'protruding' and are of cos more expensive to manufacture.

if you really don't want vignetting, you could always just remove the filter.

then again, it's only on ultra wides, so you are gonna have lots of time to remove it. :)

but i guess if its a CPL you would want it screwed to the lens especially under the great outdoors.

Thanks you.

So let me get this correct, a lens like EF 17-40mm F4 on a 5DmkII you will need a slim filter to prevent vignetting.

or you need an ultra ultra wide lens like a fish eye.

Thanks you.

So let me get this correct, a lens like EF 17-40mm F4 on a 5DmkII you will need a slim filter to prevent vignetting.

or you need an ultra ultra wide lens like a fish eye.

i don't think you'll see vignetting at 17mm on FF.

Curious... how about non non-ff dslr?

I dun have problem using normal B+W filters on my 10-22 (non-FF) lens. Only start to see vignetting when I stack 2 and also when I use it wide open (not the fault of the filter) . I dun see the point in getting thin filter because:

1) The hood is even more 'proturding' than the filter, dun see how can it cause vignetting.
2) The glass thickness is the same (vignetting of another kind).
3) Thin filters are much more expensive and so hard to remove. :)

I dun have problem using normal B+W filters on my 10-22 (non-FF) lens. Only start to see vignetting when I stack 2 and also when I use it wide open (not the fault of the filter) . I dun see the point in getting thin filter because:

1) The hood is even more 'proturding' than the filter, dun see how can it cause vignetting.
2) The glass thickness is the same (vignetting of another kind).
3) Thin filters are much more expensive and so hard to remove. :)

Thanks for the info... :)

That shows in return that a hood can be much more protruding without causing vignetting. Hence it provides much better protection against flare than any filter can do.
More about this topic: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/lens-flare.htm

Last edited:
Yeah, the slim filters can't fit the lens cap on properly too right?

I am abit curious... the higher price of the B+W filter is mostly due to the slimness of the quality of the glass? :think:

The regular one is gd enough. I'm using it on my 17-40 with absolutely no vignetting or light fall-off.

Status
Not open for further replies.