B+W filter smashed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

airmj

Jun 29, 2004
Singapore, Singapore
www.3peeps.com
251109.jpg

I’ve seen a lot of smashed filters, but never thought it’ll happen to me. The silly camera bag strap broke while i was walking, and the whole bag just dropped onto the concrete ground. I thought it was OK till i took out the camera at home, saw glass bits and went oh ****.

The lens cap bent in, cracking the insanely expensive $110 B+W filter I had since day 1. I don’t know if any tiny glass bits got into the lens. No grinding sounds while zooming, so should be good i hope xD. 3 tiny marks on the outer glass of the lens now. Resale value drop! Noooo~

Was using a lowepro aw30 shoulder bag. The plastic buckle on the strap eventually comes loose when you put really heavy stuff inside. Like heavy camera, heavy lens + flash. Be wary. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads-up on the plastic, and sorry to hear about your filter.

I've always been using use heavy-duty metal d-rings and straps with all metal connectors for bags. Compared to the price of even something like filters, they're cheap insurance.

Hahaha... at least your L lens didn't break. People who shoot long enough will at least break something or he may not be actually shooting enough. :bsmilie:

now you know who to look out for in the buy and sell :) kidding! glad ure lens is still working.:D

makes one wonder if UV filters afford real protection against scratches or are potential disasters if they crack or get smashed..

time for u to get a new bag + filter..:devil:

Your UV filter is smashed, but your lens is still ok... i'd say that's a good reason to be happy. The filter is <10% of the price of the lens, so is it insanely expensive?

i think the "impact" of the drop may damage not just the filter. Suggest u better send in your lens and body for a check, a cracked glass means it is a really a big hit to contens of your bag... the lens alignment, the sensor, the mirrors, the electronics parts.. :sweat

Last edited:
Yea quite annoyed. So far the camera body seems to be working. Going to send the lens for CSC to check. i can't remove the filter. Seems like the threads are dented as well. Gonna let them handle it :cry:

u can get the element changed,not to worry abt the scratch(if there are any on the lens). a friend of mine changed his 1635L optics when it fogged. it was under warranty but it is not covered. he pay a couple of hundreds for that.flter buy from henssey? u can get cheaper price. i don't but BW from dealers anymore cause is cheaper.

I broke mine as well... dropped the camera onto concrete floor HAHA :D SMASHED B+W FILTER HEARTBREAK! LOL but oh well; it's only gear.

Does your smashed filter affect the image quality?

That's one hell of a damage to your B+W filter.
Maybe you can try buying from CS Mass Sale VisionTechnik.
I got all of my B+W from him, except the first 2 which i bought from shops.
He's selling 77mm UV MRC for $85. :D

Sad to hear it...

honestly, your photo reminds me of Saving private ryan.. sniper shot sniper..

moral of the story, never use lowepreo.

but this is subjective, as i had the same issue back them when i used the lowepro, hence i never touched them again.

Yea quite annoyed. So far the camera body seems to be working. Going to send the lens for CSC to check. i can't remove the filter. Seems like the threads are dented as well. Gonna let them handle it :cry:

send in the whole set with your warranty card.. ask them to do a 100% calibration and checklist.

Status
Not open for further replies.