B+W Filter scratches easily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpioh

Jul 17, 2007
Woodlands
Recently bought a b+w uv filter. Due to some light stains, I tried cleaning it with a lenspen. To my horror, there appears to be very severe micro-marring/scratches when seen under strong light. My heliopan and hoya don't have this issue. I thot b+w is suppose to be easy to clean n highly scratch resistant. Very disappointed with the fragility.

No leh. My B+W filters have been pretty scratch resistant. Used it for a few years now. No problem. I use the Oakley Lens Bag to clean my filters. No scratches from that.

my B+W and Contax filters are all scratchless. but Hoya yes..

I had mixed experience with B+W filters. I had previously bought a KSM MRC CPL and was shocked to find a ~2cm scratch after cleaning it gently with a lens pen. However, with another UV MRC filter I had bought from another bro, I cleaned it quite hard with a lens pen as it was quite dirty and there was not a single tiny scratch on the filter after the cleaning :confused:

For ease of cleaning, I continue to use B+W filters :)

strangely like mentioned above, my ksm cpl also scratched easily (also attracts lots of dust) but UV ones are fine.

hmm , mone are all scratch free too. including my cpl ksm slim one

i see. wah, b+w cpl scratch very heart pain one.

I trust genuine B+W filters enough to clean with my T-shirt, been doing that for yonks and all are still sratch free.

How about Nikon's NC filters? Which is better?

my MRC CPL has no scratch after a few cleanings with lens tissue & blower. is it someting got to do with method of cleaning? maybe need to blow away those particles before applying lens pen?

Recently bought a b+w uv filter. Due to some light stains, I tried cleaning it with a lenspen. To my horror, there appears to be very severe micro-marring/scratches when seen under strong light. My heliopan and hoya don't have this issue. I thot b+w is suppose to be easy to clean n highly scratch resistant. Very disappointed with the fragility.

...my 58mm get scratches easily despite careful cleaning.

My bigger ones (72mm) are O.K.

Are yours also the smaller diameter kind?

Fine scatches is precisely why I've stopped using my Lenspens.
Am quite surprised it scatches a B+W filter but the issue here isn't the filter but the Lenspen itself. Good marketing but ultimately the problem is constant rubbing of the Lenspen tip means it picks up small contaminants and oils and over time and this remains on the tip.

Gone back to my time tested and cheap method of cleaning my lenses and filters - a clean swap with a few drops of isopropyl alcohol. Dirt cheap and it works in seconds.

...my 58mm get scratches easily despite careful cleaning.

My bigger ones (72mm) are O.K.

Are yours also the smaller diameter kind?
Mine is a 72mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.