B & W Film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakite

Jul 3, 2004
Singapore
Hey guys... i'm new to film and i was wondering... if i wanna shoot b&w film will any brand do? By the way i'm using a lomo camera (no flash)
i wanna shoot mainly in daylight and outdoors kinda... so wat speed film should i get? 200 ? or 400? not too sure abt b&w u see... plus i've been searching around and i see lots of brands but i dunno which one would fit my cam... so kinda lost now... any kind soul can guide this newbie? Tks in advance :)

generally available in 100 or 400. if you want convenience, get chromogenic film, same development and dev. price as colour negative film. e.g. ilford xp2, kodak t-max 100 or 400. if you want traditional B+W, you can try ilford HP5+ or kodak tri-x. actually almost any type will fit your cam

d7t3 said:
generally available in 100 or 400. if you want convenience, get chromogenic film, same development and dev. price as colour negative film. e.g. ilford xp2, kodak t-max 100 or 400. if you want traditional B+W, you can try ilford HP5+ or kodak tri-x. actually almost any type will fit your cam
kodak tmax are traditional films too

Agree with d7t3, try ilford XP2 or Kodak 400CN, these are C41 process so u can develop at any friendly neighbour stops.
My personal favorite is HP5+ and Delta 400 :lovegrin: :lovegrin:

OT: Don't forget to get some color filters to get constrasty photos! :angel:

oops my bad. i meant 400CN. the kodak naming used to confuse me and looks like i'm still unclear

personal preference - T-Max 400 :)
the contrast is great...overall much suited to my taste than any CN.

but cost double ....doooppe

anyone uses super hi-ASA b&w films?

dreamtheatre said:
personal preference - T-Max 400 :)
the contrast is great...overall much suited to my taste than any CN.

but cost double ....doooppe

anyone uses super hi-ASA b&w films?

Yo DT bro, I thinking of trying out the Tmax 3200 or 1600 one of these days... but i guess these are mainly for super low light situations

icarus said:
Yo DT bro, I thinking of trying out the Tmax 3200 or 1600 one of these days... but i guess these are mainly for super low light situations

I don't think there is a Tmax1600.

ok bros... tks for allt he tips... but another big qns... where to buy? hmmm the ilford xp2?

Malakite said:
ok bros... tks for allt he tips... but another big qns... where to buy? hmmm the ilford xp2?

Try Ruby...

singscott said:
T-max 3200 is rated at 1600. But allow you to use at 1600, 3200 and 6400. You will expect there be grains. :sweatsm:

Isn't the true speed of T-max3200 lower than 1600? Thought I'd read somewhere that T-max3200 has an actual ISO of 800, but could be used for pushing to 1600 and 3200.

Personal liking: TMax400, (I push to 800 and 1600)

Tried and find it not bad Tri-X 400.

I don't like colour reversal films, I prefer the traditional BnW (of course not I do it, ;p heehee)

The_Cheat said:
Isn't the true speed of T-max3200 lower than 1600? Thought I'd read somewhere that T-max3200 has an actual ISO of 800, but could be used for pushing to 1600 and 3200.

The true speed is actual ISO 800 to 1000 depending on the developer. But the recommend rating by kodak say that you can use it without any much problem is ISO 1600, ISO3200 and ISO 6400. Then again they are saying this a multi rating flim that you can even use between ISO 3200 to ISO 25 000 depending on developer and process timing. Then base on this we can say it is rated for both 1600 and 3200. So where people is confuse is there a Tmax rated at 1600 it will be the Tmax P3200. My own test set at 1600 where you still have good tight grains, after that grains will be plentyful and big ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.