b/w film recommendation for wedding photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using kodak's tmax 100 for weddings. Am thinking of exploring other types of film for indoor and outdoor use. Your recommendation will be much appreciated

Criteria :

1. don't know how to rate film, so need to use the film as-is
2. Must not be too grainy for 8X10 and 10X12 prints
3. more realistic skin tones

TIA!

gohfigure

Aug 22, 2003
gohfigure.net
you can give the ilford range a try. the delta professional series has very fine grain and excellent contrast. they also have a xp2 series which uses C41 processing. best of all, both are reasonably priced.

gohfigure said:
you can give the ilford range a try. the delta professional series has very fine grain and excellent contrast. they also have a xp2 series which uses C41 processing. best of all, both are reasonably priced.
I would second the Ilford Delta range, Delta 400 and Delta 3200, being great choices for weddings. If you are worried about the grain, use Ilford HP5+ and push to ISO800, then make sure you develop it accordingly. If you are able to order Kodak Portra 400 BW which is a C41 film, that would be really great. Try ordering from B&H. Otherwise, here are my preferences, which you may find useful, in this order.
1. Kodak Tri-X 400
2. Ilford HP5+
3. Ilford Delta 400 (too sharp for my liking, esp for portraits)
4. Kodak T400CN or Ilford XP2 Super.
Hope more peoples' opinions and preferences can help u decide your own chioce.

gohfigure

Aug 22, 2003
gohfigure.net
icebooke said:
I would second the Ilford Delta range, Delta 400 and Delta 3200, being great choices for weddings. If you are worried about the grain, use Ilford HP5+ and push to ISO800, then make sure you develop it accordingly. If you are able to order Kodak Portra 400 BW which is a C41 film, that would be really great. Try ordering from B&H. Otherwise, here are my preferences, which you may find useful, in this order.
1. Kodak Tri-X 400
2. Ilford HP5+
3. Ilford Delta 400 (too sharp for my liking, esp for portraits)
4. Kodak T400CN or Ilford XP2 Super.
Hope more peoples' opinions and preferences can help u decide your own chioce.
have you used kodak portra 400 bw before? the picture on the web site looks really impressive. it's sad they don't bring it in. i tend to get very little contrast with T400CN.

A

andylee

Hi there,

I usually use HP-5 rate at ISO 320 and FP-4 rated at ISO 100. Both from Ilford. They gives me better midtones.........

A

andylee

gohfigure said:
have you used kodak portra 400 bw before? the picture on the web site looks really impressive. it's sad they don't bring it in. i tend to get very little contrast with T400CN.
Used CN before but need to put red filters for more contrast........

thanks for the tips!:think:

seems like a lot of iso400 films recommendations here... will probably give ilford a try, particularly fp5. I did hear that ilford's grain isn't as 'bad' as kodak's.

wouldn't go for anything that uses c41 processing now cos I kinda enjoy processing my own film :p

A

andylee

kristlbel said:
thanks for the tips!:think:

seems like a lot of iso400 films recommendations here... will probably give ilford a try, particularly fp5. I did hear that ilford's grain isn't as 'bad' as kodak's.

wouldn't go for anything that uses c41 processing now cos I kinda enjoy processing my own film :p
It's a nice feeling that you know that your film is safe in your hands rather than someone who never moniter the temp,correct timing etc....... :bsmilie:

d7t3

Oct 3, 2002
In the Shepherd's hands
Don't know if it will help, but some books say you can use a yellow-green filter for more 'realistic' skin-tone rendition (in relation to how other colours turn out).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom