B+W Clear MRC filter (F-Pro vs. XS-Pro Digital)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleBen

Aug 24, 2008
Toa Payoh
Hi,

I was asking around for the above filter & found out that there are 2 mounting types (in fact more). The normal F-Pro & the new XS-Pro digital series. The latter is much slimmer & more expensive.

Apart from the thickness, are there any other differences between the two? Anyone used both before? How does it compare to each other?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ben

Anyone tried the XS-Pro series?

Cheers,
Ben

While I've never tried the XS-Pro series, I'm quite satisfied with the F-Pro range of filters. They haven't disappointed.

Hi,

Just an update. I went over to TK to have a look & the design is fantastic! Very slim & much lighter :thumbsup:. 77mm is lighter compared to 58mm F-Pro (unless my right arm is much more stronger than my left arm ;p). May make some sense when fitting it on heavy lens ;). Price wise is about SGD10 more expensive than the normal ones.

Cheers,
Ben

from what i know, its just a better version of the F-Pro. lighter and slimmer. more suitable for wide lens i guess.

Hi,

Just an update. I went over to TK to have a look & the design is fantastic! Very slim & much lighter :thumbsup:. 77mm is lighter compared to 58mm F-Pro (unless my right arm is much more stronger than my left arm ;p). May make some sense when fitting it on heavy lens ;). Price wise is about SGD10 more expensive than the normal ones.

Cheers,
Ben

I honestly don't think the weight difference of a filter is going to have any significant impact on the overall weight of the lens. :bsmilie:

Main difference would be that these XS-Pro series have front screw threads, unlike their usual slim filters which come with the Schneider cap. Price wise, its gonna give heliopan a good run for their money.

Read about B+W brass thingy. So how do i identify which is Brass made and which is not Brass made? Is there any labels to watchout?

Heard somewhere before the MRC types are all brass while non-MRC ones are aluminum.

Actually MRC versions come in both aluminum and brass versions, where else, non-MRC ones are aluminum if I'm not wrong.

Gotta take note that, currently XS-Pros only come in Clear Type filter, not the usual UV/Haze filters.

I haven't seen MRC aluminum ones though.

I couldn't believe when I saw this Hong Kong shop selling both versions of the MRC filter.. I was told that the aluminum versions are produced for the China market, hence it's cheaper. I've always thought MRCs came only in brass..

I couldn't believe when I saw this Hong Kong shop selling both versions of the MRC filter.. I was told that the aluminum versions are produced for the China market, hence it's cheaper. I've always thought MRCs came only in brass..

Yeah that's why. Maybe that person's right, but how abt the authenticity of the filter?

Yeah that's why. Maybe that person's right, but how abt the authenticity of the filter?

The Brass version has printing on the face of the filter while the aluminum version has the printing on the side. I believe there used to be a thread on it, it's exactly the same.

Found some images online. Hope it helps! :)

Brass Version
brassin.jpg

Aluminum Version
Alloyin.jpg

The Brass version has printing on the face of the filter while the aluminum version has the printing on the side. I believe there used to be a thread on it, it's exactly the same.

Found some images online. Hope it helps! :)

Brass Version
brassin.jpg

Aluminum Version
Alloyin.jpg

Non-MRC ones also come in Brass and Aluminum. :)

Thanks for the images.

Now this is getting confusing. But i suppose all printings on the filter is brass and side is aluminum? Or those printings on the filter itself also has aluminum? I know for mine definitely is brass.

Thanks for the images.

Now this is getting confusing. But i suppose all printings on the filter is brass and side is aluminum? Or those printings on the filter itself also has aluminum? I know for mine definitely is brass.

The B+W model no. (e.g. 010 UV Haze 1X) on the front of the filter is the brass version.
Printing of the side is the aluminum version.
Read it somewhere before.

Anyway for my non MRC B+W filters, i tally the product codes with B+W website and its stated made of brass.

The B+W model no. (e.g. 010 UV Haze 1X) on the front of the filter is the brass version.

Anyway for my non MRC B+W filters, i tally the product codes with B+W website and its stated made of brass.

Thanks for the info.

Non-MRC ones also come in Brass and Aluminum. :)

Oh.. I didn't know that.. :)

Maybe I should tally my product codes to the website too. This is getting complicated.

Seriously, I really don't understand the rational of producing a cheaper aluminum version just for China. Can't they use the brass version too? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.