B+W Circular Polariser Made of Plastic?

121orochi

Jan 14, 2011
Went to TK and Cathay this morning. Budget around 120 and wanted to buy a CPL for landscape.

The sales guy at TK quite good, showed me a range of CPL from hoya, B+w etc. I previously owned a 52mm xspro B+W. Compared to the B+W CPL, noticed that the ring was not brass, but hard plastic and the glass is not glass but some sort of posh plastic.

Any ideas how come plastic more expensive then glass? What special properties does the new Nano versions have; Black box type.

I have the 82mm B+W Cir-PL XS-Pro KSM Nano, and the ring is brass not plastic. Looks like glass as well.... doesn't look and sound like plastic at all. Yes the box is black for the Nano version.

I only heard of B+W producing brass and aluminum filters... never once heard of plastic.

I have the same model as YRH but 77mm, B+W Cir-PL XS-Pro KSM Nano. The ring is brass, sure is not plastic... The glass part look more like glass to me, wait I accidentally drop it to the ground next time then I confirm with you again glass or plastic.

Have the B&W 77mm XS Pro KSM C-Pol MRC Nano. Its made of metal & glass but under certain lighting may be mistaken for plastic. Just feel the rim with your fingers & you will know its metal. And its relatively heavy. Price is $210 to $260. There are a few cheaper & older models. Can check in mass sales section, incl warnings on fakes. CP sell all originals.

Last edited:
B+W is quite the high end filters - rim is metal and the filter is glass. The weight of the filter will tell you that it can't be plastic which is a light material. You can try weighing B+W against other brands like Kenko, Hoya etc, you can easily tell that B+W is heavier than them. Also, the touch of the filter should tell you the quality and build of the filter. Another thing to note, B+W is a easy to clean filter. Grease and dust is easily cleaned off without any effort.

If you see a B+W filter that doesn't have the above "properties", it may be a fake. Both TK and CP sells real B+W and all my B+W are bought from them. Their price is very competitive in the market too.

Are u sure TK carries hoya? Last time I went they don't.

There are some so called OEM B+W filter when I looking ard online. Mean it not real B+W manufacture by them. Not saying the one they selling r not real, it mean b different version or it just feel different.
B+W has quite nos of version of filter, can be quite confusing (at least to me) if din c properly

dougs said:
Are u sure TK carries hoya? Last time I went they don't.

They carry Kenko mostly, although i do remember seeing some hoya... If i am not.mistaken.

They carry Kenko mostly, although i do remember seeing some hoya... If i am not.mistaken.

I went a few times recently, didn't see Hoya. Only B+W, Kenko and LEE.