B&W and 1 Color

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnzila

Sep 9, 2009
Hi,

I would like to enquire how some pictures appears to be in black and white but yet the color of the subject remain unchange?

:dunno:

Hi,

I would like to enquire how some pictures appears to be in black and white but yet the color of the subject remain unchange?

:dunno:
I don't know what u really meant.
But from my understanding, this is most probably done through photoshop editing to achieve this effect.

hm it would help if you be more specific or provide an example

assuming you have a subject with a simple single colour, you can reduce the saturation of all other colours to 0, leaving only the colour that you want on the main subjet. if other objects have the same colour then you'll probably have to do more advanced editing.

T/S

Do u mean like this?

3930167241_d6fc6f39b3_b.jpg

if you are, then it is done thru PS.

Select the subject (use the lasso or magic wand)->Select inverse->Go to image->Select adjustment ->Select b/w->deselect.

Of course this is the simplest. There are other ways.

Hope this helps.

Selective desaturation or selective colour, two common terms for the effect.

Of course this is the simplest. There are other ways.

Hope this helps.

like layer duplicate, erase to reveal bnw layer, or reveal color layer.

the list goes on, there are often 8000 ways to do 1 thing in photoshop. ;)

Sorry to OT..

Is this considered manipulation or colour correction?? :dunno:

it is manipulation, since it isn't in any way representative of reality in the briefest sense of the word.

not sure what you mean by color correction - the term itself is vague. if you mean color MANIPULATION, probably. if you mean correction of color to reflect what is seen in reality, probably not.

it is manipulation, since it isn't in any way representative of reality in the briefest sense of the word.

not sure what you mean by color correction - the term itself is vague. if you mean color MANIPULATION, probably. if you mean correction of color to reflect what is seen in reality, probably not.
In most competition which states something like "simple editing", is this PP allowed?

In most competition which states something like "simple editing", is this PP allowed?

that is really vague, honestly. all i know is that it is allowed in sypa.

you can try your luck and see, or ask the organisers. they would know best.

simple editing usually means minor adjustment on WB, level, contrast and correct perspective stuffs like that...

not salvaging an over or underexpose 2, 3 stops image or crop a 20MP image into 4MP image due to poor composition. or heavy sharpening due to focusing error.

simple editing usually means minor adjustment on WB, level, contrast and correct perspective stuffs like that...

not salvaging an over or underexpose 2, 3 stops image or crop a 20MP image into 4MP image due to poor composition. or heavy sharpening due to focusing error.
Ya, I'm aware of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.