B & H in the flesh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yehosaphat

Oct 28, 2005
North
Went to New York few weeks back and how could I miss the actual B&H shop which is jus a short walking distance away from the Empire State Building! Certainly is huge inside selling anything that has got to do with photography. They even have a 2nd hand section upstairs ;)

Just to share some pics of the actual shop! Cant take pics inside though ;p

532917265_01e207ac8f.jpg

532917275_1610362ba7.jpg

532917305_f5d03e9d9c.jpg

:thumbsup: I was here a few years back but donno heck about photography then...instead cheong to places like Saks and Macy etc :sweatsm:

their second hand section is quite sad actually. I think what they have online are not all in the second hand section.

what's interesting is the conveyor belt system they have. And the factory-like checkout counter. I was there again 2 weeks back and they provide a free carpark across the street.Only problem is that its FOC only for 1hr, and by the time you queue up to play with the gear 30mins is already gone! Nice that they allow you to attach lenses you cannot afford to buy on impulse onto your camera and take test shots with it!

their second hand section is quite sad actually. I think what they have online are not all in the second hand section.

what's interesting is the conveyor belt system they have. And the factory-like checkout counter. I was there again 2 weeks back and they provide a free carpark across the street.Only problem is that its FOC only for 1hr, and by the time you queue up to play with the gear 30mins is already gone! Nice that they allow you to attach lenses you cannot afford to buy on impulse onto your camera and take test shots with it!

Yea, unlike when i was in taipei, they only allow you to try when you are intending to buy man :thumbsd:

I always thought B&H was a standalone warehouse size shop??

Wow, impressive!:eek:

seriously
that place is so crowded.. its worse than Whampo wet market.
it can get too chaotic to be pleasant...

Ha ya.. depends on when you go la... but funny thing is that there are a lot of jew sales man there ya! All wearing the hats and neatly tied up beards and side burns (Pls pardon me for incorrect choice of words if any ;p )

Ha ya.. depends on when you go la... but funny thing is that there are a lot of jew sales man there ya! All wearing the hats and neatly tied up beards and side burns (Pls pardon me for incorrect choice of words if any ;p )

B&H is a Jewish establishment.

Went to New York few weeks back and how could I miss the actual B&H shop

Thanks for posting. We're always glad when folks enjoy a visit.

their second hand section is quite sad actually.

I always thought B&H was a standalone warehouse size shop?

The retail store runs the full block form 33rd to 34th Sts on 9th Ave in Manhattan. It's now 35,000 sq ft, but as I said will be double that when we're done. There's a warehouse below the store for store merchandise but our main warehouse and shipping facility is in Brooklyn.

The Used Dept is part of the remodel construction which will double our retail store size. When we're done (hopefully by Dec '07) the Used Dept will be quite impressive.

that place is so crowded...

On a busy Sunday afternoon, it can be, hence the expansion. On Monday morning though, it's rather peaceful.

B&H is a Jewish establishment.

No, it's not. It's a store -- retail and mail/phone orders and internet shopping. Our owner is Jewish and the store does close Saturdays and for other Jewish holidays, but we're an equal opportunity employer and with 1,000+ employees we have people from almost every nationality and background and are as diverse as NYC itself.

Thanks for sharing this info! Certainly not one we can read from books ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.