Awol For 30 Years And Only Got $5000 Fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teo

May 17, 2002
Visit site
Read the Sunday Times Yesterday that this pianist who AWOL for 30 years to London, recently came back and got anly $5000 fine.....

I find it ridiculous in the sentence....only fine??? HAAA....HAAA....
This may send the wrong message to others...$$$ can solve the problem?

On the other hand, believe there many other got charged for DB instread even 1 or 2 days AWOL.

d world is so unfair. ;(

should give tt guy a heavier fine, wads $5k to him? d fine should b $20k!

Is it becos he's a talent (pianist) that's why the fine is light? Need to keep talents here?

should send him for BMT again...hmm...on the other hand if i get my PR from other country, maybe can consider doing the same thing too....since it's only 5K

he should have gone to DB! double standards :thumbsup:

Cut out the article in the papers. If there's a need in the future, can always show the court this case.

It is unfair for those who has been following the Law & spending 2.5yr in NS & 13yr reservist.
And the risk during training etc. Think of those who died during their NS time.

Not that I want to see him going to DB or what. I dun gain anything from him serving a jail sentence, but, at least he should be ban from entering Singapore for the rest of his life. Since he decided not to serve his country.

Aiyah, his parents are probably well connected as well! How many Singaporeans can afford to send their children to UK 30 years ago?

Somemore he is living in Notting Hill in London which is actually quite a posh area as well. In short, if you are loaded, the law applies differently

Shodan99 said:
Aiyah, his parents are probably well connected as well! How many Singaporeans can afford to send their children to UK 30 years ago?

Somemore he is living in Notting Hill in London which is actually quite a posh area as well. In short, if you are loaded, the law applies differently
in Singapore $$$ Talks anyway and No $$$ No Talk!

Drudkh said:
in Singapore $$$ Talks anyway and No $$$ No Talk!

Its the same everywhere lah.... seems that law is created to protect the select few lah.... so sad..:cry:

i remember when i was an instructor in SBMT (nee soon camp) back in 1985, there was a BMT recruit, 39 years old, who was a lecturer in UK and decided to come back to singapore after avoiding NS for many years, he paid a fine (ard $5k also i think), did his BMT, and served 1 year in LEO to fulfil his NS liability. i rem he had a pretty tough time in BMT becos of his age, but he still managed to go through it together with the rest of the 18 year old recruits.

idor said:
Its the same everywhere lah.... seems that law is created to protect the select few lah.... so sad..:cry:
But I thought in Aus, if you no work no $$$, the govt will give you $$$? :think:

If don't fine, what the use of a 50year old recruit?:sweat:

send him to MDC lah. :bsmilie:

Drudkh said:
But I thought in Aus, if you no work no $$$, the govt will give you $$$? :think:

Hahaha.. here the govt will give you freedom..(freedom to sleep anywhere):sweat:

Can either send to jail or revoke his citizenship :p no need make him serve NS now.

soma said:
If don't fine, what the use of a 50year old recruit?:sweat:

i think the pianist concerned would have renounced his sin citizenship long ago. not to send him to jail sent a wrong signal. anyway, he is older than the age of release of liability from enlistment act.

vince123123 said:
Can either send to jail or revoke his citizenship :p no need make him serve NS now.

Seems like the sentence for this offence has not been updated for quite awhile now.
The $5000 fine is the maximum penalty for the offence. Looks like $5000 fine does not make much of an impact to the offender. Time to relook into this and rise the fine to $50k.

bartman said:
Seems like the sentence for this offence has not been updated for quite awhile now.
The $5000 fine is the maximum penalty for the offence. Looks like $5000 fine does not make much of an impact to the offender. Time to relook into this and rise the fine to $50k.

wa evil...

bartman said:

To the RICH, 50k is nothing(peanuts;) ). Many will be more than happy to pay that 50k to get their beloved son out of NS. Why risk their son's life.
Revoke their citizenship is a better option, since they do not wan to serve their country.
Let them move to other countries & be a 2nd/3rd class citizens.

evq said:
To the RICH, 50k is nothing(peanuts;) ). Many will be more than happy to pay that 50k to get their beloved son out of NS. Why risk their son's life.
Revoke their citizenship is a better option, since they do not wan to serve their country.
Let them move to other countries & be a 2nd/3rd class citizens.

WHat's the different between 2nd class or 3rd class citizenship?

Status
Not open for further replies.