awesome feature in e-5

casey4355

Oct 11, 2006
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=37328357

I just discovered this playing with the E-5.

Shoot a RAW picture (or RAW + JPEG). Go to Playback mode. Press "OK" button. Select "RAW Data Edit." Camera will now create a new JPEG file from the RAW according to whatever settings you have selected for Picture Mode, White Balance, Noise Filter, Tone Curve, Sharpness, Contrast, Saturation, etc.

So, if you shoot a picture with the wrong White Balance for example, then just change to a different white balance setting on your Super Control Panel in shooting mode. Then change to Playback mode and press "OK" and then "Raw Data Edit." Presto, a new JPEG with the correct white balance.

You could also do this in order to accomplish a sort of manual noise reduction bracketing on a particular shot. emoticon - grin

-=DG=-

But sounds like something that can be done with any camera, if shoot a RAW, then convert to JPEG from the RAW file in camera, isn't it the same as just plain shooting JPEG?

Shoot a RAW picture (or RAW + JPEG). Go to Playback mode. Press "OK" button. Select "RAW Data Edit." Camera will now create a new JPEG file from the RAW according to whatever settings you have selected for Picture Mode, White Balance, Noise Filter, Tone Curve, Sharpness, Contrast, Saturation, etc.

So, if you shoot a picture with the wrong White Balance for example, then just change to a different white balance setting on your Super Control Panel in shooting mode. Then change to Playback mode and press "OK" and then "Raw Data Edit." Presto, a new JPEG with the correct white balance.

You could also do this in order to accomplish a sort of manual noise reduction bracketing on a particular shot. emoticon - grin

-=DG=-
E-3, E-30, E-620 and some other E-System camera can also do it but I find it cumbersome to use it... :)

Last edited:
But sounds like something that can be done with any camera, if shoot a RAW, then convert to JPEG from the RAW file in camera, isn't it the same as just plain shooting JPEG?
Not the same as compared to shooting in JPEG. Shooting in RAW and do editing later give you maximum control over image editing.

I think if we can change picture modes, we can apply whatever art filters we want.
we can try all the art filters.

Hmmm.... That does makes sense, diCam, I meant like,lets say, if I set vivid, daylight white blance etc, and I shoot in jpg, isn't the same as using RAW,change the settings then convert the RAW to jpg in camera? I'd rather dump the RAW into a computer then process but this is quite neat if need only jpgs

Hmmm.... That does makes sense, diCam, I meant like,lets say, if I set vivid, daylight white blance etc, and I shoot in jpg, isn't the same as using RAW,change the settings then convert the RAW to jpg in camera? I'd rather dump the RAW into a computer then process but this is quite neat if need only jpgs
Why go through the trouble?

If you shoot in RAW and want to do some basic editing in-camera by setting the parameter in the Super Control Panel and saved the file in JPEG, you still get to keep the ORF file. I do this when someone want the JPEG file on the spot, otherwise I do the processing on my computer later.

If you shoot in JPEG and do the editing in-camera, there isn't much headroom to do adjustment.

:)

That is true, but I've yet to come accross a situation where I'm to give on the spot jpeg other than that time shooting at scape, but other than that, not needed.but of course,that's just me

Awesome? Most cameras that precede the E-5 already can do this. :p

A lot of people aren't using raw development software, so using JPEG files is easier for them, but the camera can give them more control and less deterioration of a JPEG file since it's regenerated from the raw file.

-=DG=-

I think its a good feature. I din know it existed. Its a great feature, contrary to what some may say.

To me, the greatest value is the ability to process the RAW file on the spot and in the field. Of course u can do it at home, but this is added functionality that to some people may be useful. For eg. allows u to play with settings etc, before u hit the PC. But of course, if u dun see the use, u will of course :thumbsd: it.

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it.

dpreview's out with the full review...

dpreview's out with the full review...

Thanks for informing, looking at the noise comparison, doesn't seem too bad, the E-5 beats the 7D on my screen at ISO 800 to my eyes in noise reduction, sadly details lost, but ISO 1600 onwards it loses to 7D, not too bad really, but the K5 is muddy at the highest ISO, makes me wonder why is it there in the face place :confused: