Avoiding Distortions on Wide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amekaze

Nov 24, 2004
-
I'm getting stretched faces of those at the edges of the frame at wide angles (say 17mm on 1.5x crop). Happens when I take group photos or even if the person just happens to appear at the edges of the photo. Doesn't seem like barrel distortion to me. Is there any explanation for this? Would like some advice on how I can avoid such problems next time.

Thanks! :)

there is no way to avoid this leh.... the only way u can do is to correct it after the shot is taken. there is a lens correction function in photoshop.

Those are not barrel distortions. It happens when you use wide lenses. If you are shooting group portraits, just don't place your subjects too close to the edges.

things like these do happen....some wa's have more distortion then the others though..

personally i feel that shooting at 17mm is still acceptable...but 12mm for people shots is really pushing it on the distortion side

cheers

So it's a natural thing yeah? Seems like I just have to step back and not use such a tight composition next time. But I'd love to have that extra bit of resolution than crop it away. >.<

Anyway, sidetrack a bit.
Witness, how are you related to Kitago Town? Do you happen to be a Gabrielite?

Take a look at this link.

I don't think that is going to help.

Placing faces on the edges of WA is going to make them look weird. It is not really lens distortion but a fact of life. That is how things look like on a wide angle lens. The only solution is to step back and use a longer lens.

I think full frame dSLR will improve the situation but it may not remove the distortion totally.

I think full frame dSLR will improve the situation but it may not remove the distortion totally.

I think distortion is worse on the full frame. Remember that crop sensor takes the image from the centre of the image circle where distortion is lesser.

BC

I think distortion is worse on the full frame. Remember that crop sensor takes the image from the centre of the image circle where distortion is lesser.

BC

Assuming, you are shooting a group photo using 18mm on a Nikon dSLR. As the same distant that the photographer is standing, he will 27mm (i.e. 18mm x 1.5) on a full frame film SLR. The distortion of 27mm is less than 18mm. That is what I think. You may wish to verify the accuracy.

Assuming, you are shooting a group photo using 18mm on a Nikon dSLR. As the same distant that the photographer is standing, he will 27mm (i.e. 18mm x 1.5) on a full frame film SLR. The distortion of 27mm is less than 18mm. That is what I think. You may wish to verify the accuracy.

??? It is a FIELD of view issue. Nothing to do with the camera or sensor.

If you are shooting a group photo from position X and you need a 24mm lens on a 35mm film SLR to capture everybody, you are going to need a 16mm lens on a nikon DLSR to shoot the same group. And you END up with the SAME distortion for people at the edges.

Another way to look at it is that you can shoot the above using a 14mm or 18mm or 24mm lens and crop out the unecessary areas on the sides. You still are going to get roughly the SAME picture with identical "distortion" (other than DOF issue) provided the subjects and photographer have not moved.

The ONLY solution is to STEP backwards.

I thank everyone for their reply on this issue.
I'm curious to know what most people do to handle this. Do you live with it or do you step back?
I'm also starting to notice this "phenomenon" in wide-angled photos printed on some books.
I think sometimes the "distortion" provides an interesting view though. Haha. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.