erwinx

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
Aviva_2005_Cai_Fu_R3_1.jpg

Aviva_2005_Cai_Fu_R3_2.jpg

Aviva_2005_Xie_Zhang_R1.jpg

Aviva_2005_Candra_Sigit_R3_2.jpg

Aviva_2005_Shiota_Ogura_R1b.jpg

This is my very first time photographing a sports event, just sharing 5 of my pics.

I'm shooting from my seat in the public gallery so these are photos of a sports event, not sports photos intended for newspaper use (refer to Oeyvind's pics for a sports pros photos). My pics are not framed tightly enough, background too distracting etc, so they're just for sharing with other badminton fans... back to World of Nature after this:

1. The dynamic duo of Cai/Fu return a low service in thier R2 match.
2. Cai/Fu again
3. The unseeded duo of Xie/Zhang progressed beyond expectations, losing in QF to their World No.2 compatriots. This is from their R1 match.
4. Sigit showing his smash power in his R3 match
5. If you are outclassed, you spend most of the time scooping the shuttle from the floor.

Nice action shots u have there. Only the last one looks abit odd for the player on the right. :)
But the female jee poon players there are some of the sweeest there in the tournament imo.

erwinx said:
This is my very first time photographing a sports event, just sharing 5 of my pics.

I'm shooting from my seat in the public gallery so these are photos of a sports event, not sports photos intended for newspaper use (refer to Oeyvind's pics for a sports pros photos). My pics are not framed tightly enough, background too distracting etc, so they're just for sharing with other badminton fans... back to World of Nature after this:

1. The dynamic duo of Cai/Fu return a low service in thier R2 match.
2. Cai/Fu again
3. The unseeded duo of Xie/Zhang progressed beyond expectations, losing in QF to their World No.2 compatriots. This is from their R1 match.
4. Sigit showing his smash power in his R3 match
5. If you are outclassed, you spend most of the time scooping the shuttle from the floor.

may be going there this afternoon for the finals to try my first shots for badminton.....what lens/settings did u use ??

Aviva_2005_Bao_ChunLai_R2.jpg

Aviva_2005_Bao_Chunlai_R2_2jpg.jpg

Aviva_2005_Peter_Gade_R2.jpg

Aviva_2005_Taufik_R3.jpg

Aviva_2005_Prapakamol_Thungthongkam_SF_2.jpg

To freeze action, i shot wide open at high iso to get as fast as possible a shutter speed. Here are some more pics from earlier rounds:
(1)+(2) Bao Chunlai, the most 'graceful' jump smash exponent
(3) Peter Gade, the only one who smiles while doing jump smashes.
(4) Taufik.
(5) Prapakamol / Thungthongkam on their way to winning their semifinal match.

hi erwinx,

ur pictures are really good! how do u manage to get so sharp still pictures of the players? i tried to take some pictures from the public gallery too, using 10x optical zoom, auto mode... but my pictures all blur :(

engta said:
hi erwinx,

ur pictures are really good! how do u manage to get so sharp still pictures of the players? i tried to take some pictures from the public gallery too, using 10x optical zoom, auto mode... but my pictures all blur :(

Hi Engta,

I think normal digicams don't have high enough ISO settings and maybe the lens is not 'fast' enough (eg: f/2.8) which is why you have motion blur. I was using iso 1250 on a DSLR.

Great flying pics!!!

Look forward to your next sporting series

Status
Not open for further replies.