Aviva Ironman 2010

iczazache

Mar 11, 2010
North
www.flickr.com
IMG_1193.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
--Composition; overall

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
-- Potray the determination and joy of the participant

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
-- Aviva Ironman 2010

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
-- No bad considering this is the first time i tried monochrome

Please do not go easy on me and give me your honest opinion...:D

The charm of doing monochrome picture is the ability to make superbly contrasty images, without worrying the incorrect colouration that may be resulted from over-processing. Monochrome images are more forgiving as well, and could easily reduce a chaotic image to convey a strong imagery or subject.

This image is taken without any consideration of the strengths of monochrome image. As a colour image, it might work. But as a monochrome, it is just not up to par.

Anyway, here's the critique:

1. Composition: Head clipping is fine. But I think too much of the abdomen is included in the picture. I would even opt to clip away some of the arm to give a tighter crop of the athlete here.
Overall, the composition is quite good. There is a feel of movement here, where there are liberal amount of empty space given to the left. And anyone who is unafraid to compose in portrait format gets my vote anyway.

2. Moods: You have hit the determination part of the subject nicer. Joy? It would be a little farfetched I guess.

3. Monochrome effect: As explained, this is a bad monochrome image. Firstly, it is rather impossible to clarify where the hand begin and where the background start, for the left hand of the athlete. This applies also to her back and the hair band. The whitewashed exposure just doesn't do the subject any justice.

Secondly, the background contains no details. While this may be a bonus for colour images, for monochrome image, background with no details given is seen as another whitewash or just plain background. It would be totally unreal and doesn't enhance an image much. Burn the image more, let the details come out, and you will have a much better image. You could get away with highly detailed background and your subject would still stand out in a monochrome image. Trust me.