Aviation Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you're talking about Nikon's 18-135, perhaps...

If you're referring to the Canon's 18-55, I'd say have fun... :)

S211 is not displayed there. Only a Hunter, a few Skyhawks, some choppers, etc. But around the area, you do get to see some rarer airliners like the MD11.

Yes that is the Air Force Museum.

There's a theatre over there you can go to watch some videos and a small gift shop.

I'm not so sure if the S211 is still there though.

I know there's some spotters from 9victor, sqtalk, and some aviation forums within Singapore. The new T3 has a great, or will have a great viewing of runway 02L/20R once they remove those no good sun panels :)

here's a few of my spotting shots :D

klm.jpg

_DSC8124.jpg

Nice pics!

I'm interested in aviation photography too.Still trying to find good place to shoot though.

Nice pics!

I'm interested in aviation photography too.Still trying to find good place to shoot though.

I know of a few places ;p but do you drive? If not will be quite imposing on you because you can get there by taxi by sometimes the runway they use will change accordingly. So you may have to call for taxi if the planes are not taking off/landing on that particular runway.

Before you go spotting, always check the wind direction so you can determine roughly which way the plane will be taking off and landing. ;)

I always go spotting on weekend. can PM me if you want to go.

Nice pics!

Do you have a Ghillie suit? That would make it possible for some places... ;)

Well, if you're talking about Nikon's 18-135, perhaps...

If you're referring to the Canon's 18-55, I'd say have fun... :)

so the canon's 18-55 is good for shooting fast jets? i'm thinking of canon 400D with 18-55mm kit

btw, if anyone is interested in taking photos from tengah that site, the fields near coorporation pri sch is the best. its directly at the approach path and you can take pics f-16 during turn from downwind to finals.

that time i saw a c-130 coming straight in during night time, very beautiful, especially the landing lights.

Must be quite lucky to get C130 doing circuits in TAB.

so the canon's 18-55 is good for shooting fast jets? i'm thinking of canon 400D with 18-55mm kit

btw, if anyone is interested in taking photos from tengah that site, the fields near coorporation pri sch is the best. its directly at the approach path and you can take pics f-16 during turn from downwind to finals.

that time i saw a c-130 coming straight in during night time, very beautiful, especially the landing lights.

18-55 kit lens long enuf meh?

night time how to take? not fast enuf shutter speed to freeze ba.

18-55 kit lens long enuf meh?

night time how to take? not fast enuf shutter speed to freeze ba.

You must be kidding, use 18-55 kit lens. You need something like a 70-300 lens. For taking in the sky, you need a decent telephoto lens. Something like a 28-200 or 18-200 will do. However, for smaller aircraft go get yourself a 70-300 or 80-400 or 100-400. Night time, if your object not still, forget about taking it. It will just be blur even with a tripod. And if you want to take from T1 viewing mall, must be careful of reflection...

I don't think its a very good idea to take military aircraft too near its airbase, they may come and kena you.

Yeah, Most C-130 operates from PLAB and you can do spotting easily anywhere in Ubi, best is on the roof of Paya Ubi Industrial Park which is open to public and free parking!

At Tengah, you risk being arrest by ISA or CID. And also, no body is able to do any night spotting so far unless the plane is stationary. :bsmilie: My typical setting is about F/5 @ 1/400 @ ISO100 in a bright afternoon. 1/320 is the minimum shutter speed to achieve a sharp image imo. So at night, you will need to go ISO32000 ke ke ke...

As for lenses ideal for spotting, I would recommend something that has got a reach of 200mm, if not 300 mm. That will open up a lot of places for spotting. I'm currently using a 70-200 lense and I need to get pretty close to the aircraft due to the reach.

The downside of coming up close to the aircraft is of course obstruction by trees and buildings.

Is 250mm far enough to shoot fighter jets doing stunts like say a bomb burst?

Can anyone recommend me a zoom lens, i'm planning to shoot the aerial display from the upcoming Singapore Airshow. I have a low budget of $400-500, and i'm using Canon EOS 400D. Thanks :D

hmmm... i thought a bomb burst would look better if u can capture all the jets... and i don't think you'll have much time to switch lens ... so u might wanna use a lens which can do both jobs...

personally i think at the airshow location you'll be a little too close to catch the full effect of the burst... :think: i may be wrong...

How about other stunts like solo or 2 ship formations?

For civil passenger jet, a 200mm will suffice in most cases during airshow. But for the smaller single fighter jet, a 300mm will be required.

If taking a group of jet doing acrobatics, then 200 mm should be enough too.

I'm not too sure about Canon, but something like a 70-300 entry level lens should do the trick for amateur photography.

For civil passenger jet, a 200mm will suffice in most cases during airshow. But for the smaller single fighter jet, a 300mm will be required.

If taking a group of jet doing acrobatics, then 200 mm should be enough too.

I'm not too sure about Canon, but something like a 70-300 entry level lens should do the trick for amateur photography.
Any 70-300 entry level lens to recommend?

Singapore Airshow 2008.

February 19-24th. Public Days : 23-24th.

Aerobatics, sorely missed at the 2006 air show in Singapore, will make a comeback with at least two displays at Singapore Airshow 2008, including one by F-16 pilots from the Republic of Singapore Air Force. We will be confirming the aerobatic flying displays teams at a later date. Do visit this page again for updates.

Apart from bringing back the aerobatics, Singapore Airshow is also exploring other ideas to make the event more exciting, including the mobility park where unmanned vehicle systems and land defence equipment can be demonstrated live.

Exhibitors, trade visitors and the public who complain about long queues at the registration counters, delays in security clearance, traffic jams and tired feet can expect some relief in 2008. Technology will speed up registration and security checks and a new six-lane road leading in and out of the site, should help ease traffic jams. A public carpark with around 2,000 lots will also be constructed.

Buggies will also be provided so that visitors will not have to do so much walking in the heat.

http://www.singaporeairshow.com.sg/index.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.