Avian shooters: NOTICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchuanye

Staff member
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
It was brought to my attention that several recent posts were showing active nesting sites.

I guess many may not be aware that doing so may possibly endanger the birds.

You can refer to this as a guide:
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html

I hope that everyone cooperates so we will still have subjects to shoot for future generations! :)

Chuanye,

Well done Mr. Moderator.

It was brought to my attention that several recent posts were showing active nesting sites.

I hope that everyone cooperates so we will still have subjects to shoot for future generations! :)

To keep thing in perspective, I am also not agreeable if the subjects are endangered by the activities of the shooters such as climbing right up the tree where the birds are nesting, flashing them at close range, shouting out their locale to the whole world etc.

If an appropriate shooting tool is being used, (long lenses) and appropriate measures taken to ensure that the birds are not spooked by a clear and present danger, I do not see the rationale on how this will endanger the birds.

Perhaps instead of the guidelines stipulated by the ABA, CS can come up with its own guidelines on what constitute acceptable or unacceptable birding practises. This will help us to avoid falling foul of what is deemed ethical.

Can you please enlighten us on this area?
Posting of nesting sites without naming the location is more endangering to the birds or on site shooting the nesting site is more endangering to the birds?

The problem is sometimes we have no doubts, but doubts are cast by other people. How then to resolve this issue? And we do take pain not to reveal the site.

Some shoot for the love of nature, others just eager to show off their catch to get attention.

What forum can do is to discourage by sending warning.

Birding is not a big community, words spread fast, can easily blacklist those blacksheep in AWA, Naturepixel and NPSS.

Some shoot for the love of nature, others just eager to show off their catch to get attention.

What forum can do is to discourage by sending warning.

Birding is not a big community, words spread fast, can easily blacklist those blacksheep in AWA, Naturepixel and NPSS.

I shoot for the love of nature which is why I invested in expensive equipment. I do not need ego-boosting by showing off my catch. I share for the love of nature.

That statement was a big broom.

I shoot for the love of nature which is why I invested in expensive equipment. I do not need ego-boosting by showing off my catch. I share for the love of nature.

Of course that is not to say I thought you were refering to me:bsmilie: Just that we need to be careful when making generalization.

Some shoot for the love of nature, others just eager to show off their catch to get attention. quote]
Errr.............I'm kinda lost here. So which of the above apply in CS?

Some shoot for the love of nature, others just eager to show off their catch to get attention. quote]
Errr.............I'm kinda lost here. So which of the above apply in CS?

What CY mentioned there is some thread posting active nesting, which is discourage. Just keep those photo in your hdd until the chick had fledged, then everyone is free to post. It is to protect the nest from poachers, which is still quite common in Singapore. :)

Last edited:
Of course that is not to say I thought you were refering to me:bsmilie: Just that we need to be careful when making generalization.

Do you really think all avian shooters love nature??? Including those give out Mac-fish or Mac-frog???:bsmilie:

Love of nature need not invest in expensive equipment, many renowned naturalist only have a good pair of hiking shoes. :)

So quoting you invested tens of thousands dollars don't mean anything in loving the nature. :)

Last edited:
What CY mentioned there is some thread posting active nesting, which is discourage. Just keep those photo in your hdd until the chick had fledged, then everyone is free to post. It is to protect the nest from poachers, which is still quite common in Singapore. :)

So that is to say, if you shoot nesting birds without posting first, you will not be endangering the chick by stressing out the mother bird, but if you shoot and post without revealing the location it will might causes harm?:dunno:

So that is to say, if you shoot nesting birds without posting first, you will not be endangering the chick by stressing out the mother bird, but if you shoot and post without revealing the location it will might causes harm?:dunno:

Aiyo..... It is to minimize the risk.....even you post after the chick had fledge, it is also good not to reveal the location. :)

As I said, if you think shooting the nest will stress the nesting activities, you can do your part by not going there to shoot.

To add on, I believe many ppls do love nature, but sometime lacking of knowledge can do more harm than good. :)

Its great that Moderator post this thread.

Last edited:
Aiyo..... It is to minimize the risk.....even you post after the chick had fledge, it is also good not to reveal the location. :)

As I said, if you think shooting the nest will stress the nesting activities, you can do your part by not going there to shoot.

At last we are getting somewhere. We take care to be away from the nest and do not stress mother birds.

Thank you Mod for clearing the air.

And thank you pixelated, hope to see some of your beautiful shots soon,

Just to add my 2 cents. Forums are public places and viewed by hundreds or possibly thousands of people. Even without revealing the location, guesses to the location can be made through other pics posted by the poster.

At the end of the day, the idea is so that the number of ppl who know about the active nesting is relatively minimized. Of course word can still go out by mouth, but at least, we've done what we can. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.