AV & TV mode ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy1

Oct 10, 2009
Hi, just a bit curious.

AV - Aperture-Priority
TV - Shutter-Priority

As what I know, AV let u adjust the Aperture smaller or bigger & the camera will adjust the shutter speed accordingly whereas TV is the other way round.

So is there a difference in the picture image taken on this 2 modes ?

Thanks.

Read your manual and start learning the basics. You'll quickly realize controlling aperture and comparing shutter speed have very different applications.

Think of it as "choosing shoes to fit the slope" vs "choosing the slope to fit your shoes" before climbing. Either way, you get to the top, but how is the question. All in your manual =)

HUGE difference. Why don't u read up on the basics.

i re read my manual,
all the way to my old SLR with this 2 modes,
they don't mention that there is a difference,
so i'd like to know,
whats the HUGE difference?

Think of it as "choosing shoes to fit the slope" vs "choosing the slope to fit your shoes" before climbing. Either way, you get to the top, but how is the question. All in your manual =)

:thumbsup:

Simply put:

change aperture - change depth of field
change shutter speed - change time of light falling on the sensor

Do a search on the web sure got explain one ;)

If not try each mode at both extreme setting and then see the difference :bsmilie:

Try taking 2 snaps with these 2 modes and compare them side by side.

In Av mode lets say you set the aperture to f/1.4, the camera will adjust the shutter speed accordingly and will give you a properly exposed image with the Depth of Field that you originally wanted
In Tv mode, you set the shutter speed(to catch a certain object or to counter camerashake and whatnot), the camera will then give you your aperture value so as not to blow out the shot. But difference is you may not be given f/1.4 hence a different Dof and a different image altogether.

Hope this makes sense

TS didn't ask for the effect of shutter n aperture,
but the difference between Av n Tv.

:think::think:

OK, put another way, to change the depth of field ie bokeh effect, use AV mode and to change the time of light falling on the sensor eg taking the trail of light of moving cars, use the TV ;)

I did compared AV & TV on bright light still object. No difference.
I haven't really tried moving object yet.

In night shot, AV is much prefer as I noticed that the picture look much much better exposed as in TV, it's too dimmed.

But I rather use manual mode for night shot.

I did compared AV & TV on bright light still object. No difference.
I haven't really tried moving object yet.

In night shot, AV is much prefer as I noticed that the picture look much much better exposed as in TV, it's too dimmed.

But I rather use manual mode for night shot.

TV effect will be more noticable with moving objects eg handshakes :bsmilie:.

:think::think:

OK, put another way, to change the depth of field ie bokeh effect, use AV mode and to change the time of light falling on the sensor eg taking the trail of light of moving cars, use the TV ;)

maybe i don't know how to communicate properly,
but whats stopping the user from,

-using Tv n adjust the shutter to get the aperture u want, or
-using Av n adjust the aperture to get the speed u want?

its just a matter of convenience n getting use to it,
in terms of image produced,
there shouldn't be any difference.

1/125 f8 is still 1/125 f8,
be it Tv, Av or manual(ok, not really for manual, but diff is sml).

maybe i don't know how to communicate properly,
but whats stopping the user from,

-using Tv n adjust the shutter to get the aperture u want, or
-using Av n adjust the aperture to get the speed u want?

its just a matter of convenience n getting use to it,
in terms of image produced,
there shouldn't be any difference.

1/125 f8 is still 1/125 f8,
be it Tv, Av or manual(ok, not really for manual, but diff is sml).

Ah... if the setting is the same of course there will be no difference
But for a given photo, you must know what effect you want so as to know when to use Tv or Av

Take for example a flower as the subject with the grass behind as the background in a windy day.

If you want to focus in on the flower, but does not want the distraction of the background then you should use Av mode. This will make the flower sharp with blur background (bokeh effect).

But hold on! The wind is blowing and hence the photo will not be sharp cos of "shake". So in order to prevent "shake", need to just open the shutter for a very short time to freeze the movement. Hence the Tv mode is needed.

But if there is no wind, then of course shutter speed does not matter, if you have steady hands. The camera will automatically adjust for the exposure by change the shutter speed accordingly.

The was an expert who says that everytime someone ask about the shutter speed and aperture setting for his photo, he just give any number because by themselves it does not mean anything. The important thing is what effect you want the photo to be and then adjust the setting accordingly. It does not matter whether it is f/8 @ 1/1000s or f/11 @ 1/560s (say) as long as the photo gives you the effect you want

That just means you are not setting the correct shutter speed value (not long enough).

For night shots though, you may want to switch to full manual.

Apperture priority - you control the exact apperture and camera body decide the speed necessary for the right exposure (that will change if you adjust exposure compensation - that plus/minus thingy, or if you adjust the ISO). Apperture number choice depends on your lense.
This is useful especially when you want to control DOF (affecting bokeh), very useful for static shots or portrait with small F-number.
Less useful when you actually shoot landscape/building during daylight sunny.
When doing half-press on the trigger you can observe the speed it calculates, and if that is too low then quickly increase the ISO unless you want motion blur (either camera shake or object movement).

Speed priority - you control the speed and camera body decide the right apperture for the right exposure. The usefulness is totally reliant on lense, and may produce underexposed pictures if your lense cannot cope (minimum F-number is high and there is not enough light - which force you to select higher ISO to maintain exposure).
You will not be able to tell unless you have some prior experience, and make correction which force you to take the picture first and then preview, unlike apperture priority.

Some funny thing - each camera behave differently. I once went for a photoshoot tour and everybody can take a shot with apperture priority. I could not get the same shot with apperture priority so I think different and set speed priority and finally able to get similar shot (exposure & colourwise). Different brand, different model of same brand, behave differently. Some slightly, some quite significantly. So just take more photo and learn more. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.