AV or M

You'll know what mode to use once you clearly understand the relationship between Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO.

Metering can be fooled in a case like taking a photo of a fair skinned model in a dark dress in low light. If flash is used, it brightens the fair skinned model, causing it to be overexposed.
A manual mode is more appropriate to use in such a scenario. When setting exposure in manual mode, auto ISO can be disabled or enabled as the camera knows what to do since it is programmed to do what it should do.

Metering can be fooled in a case like taking a photo of a fair skinned model in a dark dress in low light. If flash is used, it brightens the fair skinned model, causing it to be overexposed.
A manual mode is more appropriate to use in such a scenario. When setting exposure in manual mode, auto ISO can be disabled or enabled as the camera knows what to do since it is programmed to do what it should do.

First of all, understand your metering before you start talking about which exposure mode to use. The usage of a different metering mode, also considering the difference in brightness between model's dress, skin and background will have more impact than the question which exposure mode to take.

erm.. shyt... i use M mostly but i am a noob..

but no no i not acting smart..

i just feel i learn more that way..

pics that i got enough time to play with:
i do get wrongly exposed pics but i usually take a pic a few times with diff settings to try to understand how diff shutter speed and size affects the outcome..
one question btw, issit alright for me to tweak with the exposure in photoshop of my RAW pics? any significant diff by doing that in PP as to during the point of shot(+-EV)?

pics where i dun have time to play with:
well i not very much concern with missing a once in a lifetime shot YET coz i more concern with learning first. so if i did a bad one i try to learn from there.. and of coz i did use aperture or shutter priority sometimes when i face situations where i totally have no rough idea how to snap it..

so i conclude that av or m all got their uses (er, pretty obvious ya), thats y they are there in the first place.. diff ppl swear by diff modes, as with brands.. i think :3

anyway, i am just a newbie so no offense to any sides ya.. :D

erm.. shyt... i use M mostly but i am a noob..

but no no i not acting smart..

i just feel i learn more that way..

pics that i got enough time to play with:
i do get wrongly exposed pics but i usually take a pic a few times with diff settings to try to understand how diff shutter speed and size affects the outcome..
one question btw, issit alright for me to tweak with the exposure in photoshop of my RAW pics? any significant diff by doing that in PP as to during the point of shot(+-EV)?

pics where i dun have time to play with:
well i not very much concern with missing a once in a lifetime shot YET coz i more concern with learning first. so if i did a bad one i try to learn from there.. and of coz i did use aperture or shutter priority sometimes when i face situations where i totally have no rough idea how to snap it..

so i conclude that av or m all got their uses (er, pretty obvious ya), thats y they are there in the first place.. diff ppl swear by diff modes, as with brands.. i think :3

anyway, i am just a newbie so no offense to any sides ya.. :D
Shooting RAW gives you more headroom in post processing than JPEG. However, if your exposure if off by too much, there is not much you can do even with a RAW file.

Of course you can adjust the exposure in PS, no issue with that. But try to get the correct exposure with not more than 2 stops off when shooting. Too much will blow off the highlights, too little will cause noise when processing. Keep in mind: light / details that are not captured cannot be magically restored later.

Octarine said:
Of course you can adjust the exposure in PS, no issue with that. But try to get the correct exposure with not more than 2 stops off when shooting. Too much will blow off the highlights, too little will cause noise when processing. Keep in mind: light / details that are not captured cannot be magically restored later.

brapodam said:
Shooting RAW gives you more headroom in post processing than JPEG. However, if your exposure if off by too much, there is not much you can do even with a RAW file.

Noted..
So far biggest adjustment I made is +- 2.3.. Will improve on that.. :D