Av mode????

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentientpuppets

Jul 5, 2006
This mode in the camera allows us to control the aperture right? But if say like want to have shallow DOF (for bokeh or sth?) would u use this mode or portrait mode?

Actually what is the difference between those scene selectors and controlling aperture (esp for landscape and portrait scene modes?) I suppose lsomething like the sunset mode meters the sunlight so we get the same effect as a spot meter on the rising/setting sun is it?

Thanks! :D

IIRC, yes, Av for canon is aperture prioriety, and it allows the user to set the aperture himself. if u want a shallow DOF, u can set it to a big aperture, e.g. F2.8.

im not sure about your camera, but if im not wrong, by setting scene selectors, u are actually telling the camera, "hey im going to take sunset, do the work for me". ur camera will then auto choose an approriate aperture and shutter. however, i think u'll have to do the metering yourself.

someone pls correct me if i have made any mistake :)

Av is for aperture priority.
You preset the metering exposure and aperture value.
And the camera will automatically choose a shutter speed to expose the photo acording to your metering.

hmmm, for me, its been sometime since i tried any of these modes....

not say i very good lah. but read somewhere say not that good also...

Thanks for the replies! My camera just a simple pns (HP R707) so it doesn't have that many manual functions.

Been trying out macro mode with portrait scene enabled (instead of setting larger aperture in Av) for some close-up shots and can't tell the difference :p

As for like sunset mode, I just set it then ...snap ...after composing and lock exposure all of coz :) ....never spot meter at all....again not sure what is the difference if i do so (havent taken sunsets in a while now)

i guess most of the pros out there use fully manual controls right? this current cam i have dun have so just wondering what actually does the scene mode do (or do different from manual selection)

thanks for the advice! :)

Thanks Zaknafein! :p

I guess i meant more like, after setting the scene mode, there is actually no need to do any metering, just compose and take the shot :)

So the scene mode probably takes over (everything?) what one would do manually?

Sorry if I seem to be repeating myself :embrass:

the scene modes are all preset.
the camera "thinks" for you.
it may work out fine at times, but sometimes not.

sentientpuppets said:
Thanks Zaknafein! :p

I guess i meant more like, after setting the scene mode, there is actually no need to do any metering, just compose and take the shot :)

So the scene mode probably takes over (everything?) what one would do manually?

Sorry if I seem to be repeating myself :embrass:
well i thought i already said in post #2, but nvm i can be a record player hahaha
the camera will adjust shutter speed and aperture for u if u use a preset scene mode. it will not automatically do spot metering for u.

Tv mode = Shutter speed piority. You set yr shutter speed and camera set the aperature. If shutter is too fast or too slow, the aperature value will blink meaning it reached its limit.

Av mode = Aperature piority. You set aperature value and camera set the shutter speed. Beware of too low shutter speed as it will cause blur image.

M mode = manual. you have to set the shutter speed and aperature value. You have to be skilful to use this mode else you photo will end up under or over exposed. Some camera bulb mode is also set here.

P = auto mode. Camera determine the apropriate speed and aperature.

Other mode like landscape, macro or potrait are auto modes for the corresponding type of photograohy. you do not need to set anything. Just point and shoot.

I'm a newbie who only use Av and Tv modes. sometimes but very seldom on M and P modes.

DeSwitch said:
Tv mode = Shutter speed piority. You set yr shutter speed and camera set the aperature. If shutter is too fast or too slow, the aperature value will blink meaning it reached its limit.

Av mode = Aperature piority. You set aperature value and camera set the shutter speed. Beware of too low shutter speed as it will cause blur image.

M mode = manual. you have to set the shutter speed and aperature value. You have to be skilful to use this mode else you photo will end up under or over exposed. Some camera bulb mode is also set here.

P = auto mode. Camera determine the apropriate speed and aperature.

Other mode like landscape, macro or potrait are auto modes for the corresponding type of photograohy. you do not need to set anything. Just point and shoot.

I'm a newbie who only use Av and Tv modes. sometimes but very seldom on M and P modes.

pro also use AV and TV mode too...

but most of the time they use M... but no one will use P mode...

westwest1 said:
pro also use AV and TV mode too...

but most of the time they use M... but no one will use P mode...

Sorry, care to explain why no one use P mode ?

grumpy said:
Sorry, care to explain why no one use P mode ?

For the pro, its not challenging enough.:bsmilie: Actually cannot control what we want. Best to use Av, Tv and M (if you are Pro). I'm not Pro so only use Av and Tv:sweatsm:

DeSwitch said:
For the pro, its not challenging enough.:bsmilie: Actually cannot control what we want. Best to use Av, Tv and M (if you are Pro). I'm not Pro so only use Av and Tv:sweatsm:

Heck care u use Av, Tv or M. as long as the photographer can shoot good photos means is a pro.

i think most ppl uses aperture priority, and ppl that shoot sports stuff usually will use shutter priority...

for me, i on A ( aperture P on nikon) most of the time.

DeSwitch said:

ok, now i understand that u refering to Pros
me not pro, so I use P mode most of the time

its better not to use P (programme) mode.
firstly, one might not learn as much when using P mode, since the camera is doing all the work.
2ndly, u might not get the exposure correctly with P. better to use Av, Tv, or M. :)
u dun have to be pro to use either of these 3 modes, neither does using these modes means someone is good. just need to understand the relations between shutter and aperture, u should be able to get correct exposures

Zaknafein said:
its better not to use P (programme) mode.
firstly, one might not learn as much when using P mode, since the camera is doing all the work.
2ndly, u might not get the exposure correctly with P. better to use Av, Tv, or M. :)
u dun have to be pro to use either of these 3 modes, neither does using these modes means someone is good. just need to understand the relations between shutter and aperture, u should be able to get correct exposures

Using Av, Tv or M doesn't guarantee that you'll get correct exposure anymore then using P mode. If you don't understand how ISO, aperture and shutter speed work together to determine expsore and how your cameras metering works, then you're guessing anyway.

Learn the basics - ISO, aperture and shutter speed, then understand how your camera works, in particular the metering - then you're on the right path to understanding exposure and which setting is best suited to which situation.

sentientpuppets said:
This mode in the camera allows us to control the aperture right? But if say like want to have shallow DOF (for bokeh or sth?) would u use this mode or portrait mode?

Actually what is the difference between those scene selectors and controlling aperture (esp for landscape and portrait scene modes?) I suppose lsomething like the sunset mode meters the sunlight so we get the same effect as a spot meter on the rising/setting sun is it?

Thanks! :D

av mode is good for portraits. dont have to think so much. but i prefer to just use manual because it gives me a bit more latitude in terms of shutter speed whilst keeping the same aperture setting, especially if i want to bracket.

bear in mind that on canon's, your flash will act differently if you use AV mode, rather than M mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.