Autumn

adrianseetho

Dec 26, 2008
4923202061_e0f79b734b.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Color, exposure, framing

I tried to place my subject towards the setting sun, explaining the orange flare.
but i am not sure if it had backfire on me.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
My intention is to bring out the feeling of ambiguity and warmth, but yet with a little spice of love and emotion. Like that of autumn.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
At about 6pm, when the sun was beginning to set.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
If the picture did indeed bring out the kind of ambience/emotion i was trying to deliver. And if it was a good idea to place my subject in that position to capture the flare.

Last edited:
I feel more summer than autumn. The only autumn I feel is the way the colour is processed for the photo. Overall, I don't find it a strong subject. There's a lack of boomz, as if I don't really know what is really being conveyed to me.

One thing I find very distracting with the pic, n that is the lingering hair over the lady's shoulders. they look like body hair standing, which incidentally, sync well with the title. I would choose to clone them somewhat, esp those over her right. But hey, that's juz my thoughts. Don't be offended ya.

Other than that, I can't find any association with the said season in the frame.

Woah. It's lovely! Especially the hair! It's an element i've been wanting to emulate but just simply couldn't capture :(

Not sure about your theme, but composition wise I have some suggestions:

1) Try not to cut/crop/frane at the joints (neck, hips, knees, ankles) because it sometimes looks like the person has an amputated limb. Instead, try to frame a little below or above the joint. In this case, showing where her thighs meets the edge of the pool would have been less abrupt.
[EDIT] I just noticed you did shoot the edge of the pool, but its overexposed until it looks like the edge of the frame. This is quite strange. Either cut that section out entirely, or expose for it properly, because of the aforementioned problem with the hips.

2) The blue umbrella doesn't really do anything for the light or for the "story", and instead draws attention away from everything because it is such a different colour and it looks like its stabbing the person in the arm. Either make it part of the shot (place it at a rule of 3rd line, etc), or get rid of it by changing angle.

On a random note, you could ask the person not to slouch if she was your model/friend, because the front of the swim suit is creased and doesn't look so good. If she wasn't your friend then cannot do anything la XD

Overall, not a spectacular photo, but nice use of backlighting, though :) Next time you can experiment with using a wider angle and shooting close up to make the girl fill the frame, or shoot from a lower angle to get rid of the cluttered background, or lots of other things.

Just keep experimenting and having fun~ Hope this is useful

Last edited:
I do not see autumn here. So the title did nothing for the picture.

I like the lighting. The sun give the hair of the subject a nice rim of light. Looks good. I like the effect of the flare.

The biggest problem of this pic is where the butt of your model ends. This is too abrupt. It would be nicer to ask the model to sit completely out of the water, with feet up above the water, so as to give some continuity to the body. This one aspect broke your entire picture IMHO.

Better luck next time.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your wonderful comments! I will take note of it in future and not make the same mistakes! :)