Autorotating pictures from D70

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfeng

Mar 7, 2004
Inside the world of tech
Hi, is it just me or can you people see the pictures taken from your D70 automatically rotated in windows XP, using XP photo viewer ?

On the camera preview, the picture is vertical. This is also the same with nikon view. But in native windows XP and PS, the picture is still unrotated. Both autorotate menu options on D70 is set to "on".

There's an EXIF information within the shot that informs the Nikon View that this shot has orientation and how it should be displayed, this information is not exlcusive to Windows XP / Photoshop. Thus they still display it as horizontal.

The rotate thing is actually an exif tag attached to the image. If the viewing program is designed to read that exif tag - that image will be rotated when viewed as well. Looks like the XP picture viewer doesn't read this tag.

You can also set the option on Nikon Transfer or Picture Picture project to autorotate the images on transfer to your PC. This will make sure XP picture viewer will display the images with the proper orientation.

Ok. Then do you use some kind of software to bulk rotate your shots ?

Or you just MANUALLY rotate every single picture ?

There's the software called - Nikon View.

It should rotate the pictures automatically as you transfer from the camera.

For other users like us who don't own the D70/D2H, yes, we have to manually select which shots to rotate :(

Ok. say i just copied images from card reader to PC HDD using windows XP. (not Picture project or nikon transfer)

Then can i tell picture project or nikon view / transfer to autorotate all pictures in that folder ?

kfeng said:
Ok. say i just copied images from card reader to PC HDD using windows XP. (not Picture project or nikon transfer)

Then can i tell picture project or nikon view / transfer to autorotate all pictures in that folder ?

Nikon Transfer (v 6.2.1 at least - which is installed with Nikon View) won't run unless there is a card or camera connected - you can't get it to run on files already on the hard disk.

Not sure about Picture Project though.

So best bet would be to run transfer or project to copy your images over...

Anyway, just to share with you guys. I recently found a program that does rotate pictures in your HDD based on exif 2.1 info. Its main purpose was built for that reason.

My pictures taken on D70 were rotated. The program should work with pictures taken using any camera with orientation data recorded in EXIF.

The program is "Jpeg Hammer". Do a google search on this exact term. Download from gotdotnet --> http://workspaces.gotdotnet.com/jpeg

Downside is that the program requires .net framework v1.1 installed on your machine. .Net framework download is 23.1MB. The program will tell you to download it before installing.

ACDSee will also autorotate the image...;)

I used nikon view version 6, and images are rotated correctly, since the program reads the exif tag and rotates pictures in the program itself (never modifying the picture). But since windows natively doesn't read the exif tag, i have no choice but to get some other program to rotate the picture.

Note that, the Jpeg Hammer doesn't delete the orientation tag of the exif in the picture. So after rotating the picture, nikon view will show the picture in the wrong orientation.

I haven't tried ACDSee since version 4, maybe their newest version might display the picture the right side up.

But i still prefer to have the picture rotated by Jpeg Hammer since older computers and software would display the picture just fine.

Anyway, for info, if you are sending your pictures for printing, the lab have to process all the pictures in horizontal orientation. So if you do all the rotation, and send them to the lab, they have to "rotate" them back to the horizontal orientation. To some extent, with each rotation done, some information is loss, i.e. file size gets smaller (especially XP Viewer).

Status
Not open for further replies.