Autopsy for Pets - Urgent information needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

di0nysus

Jul 15, 2003
m
Visit site
Dear CS'ers,

One of my cats, Junior, was missing since last Friday,.....been scouring around to search for him since. To my horror, I found him deep in a drain in my neighbourhood a few hours ago. No amount of calling managed to arouse him...i got a long stick to try to arouse him...but..he was gone.

I'm still trying to come to grips with the situation. Junior is a 2.5yr old cat, he's never been sick, been neutered and vaccinated. He seemed unwell on Friday before he went out of the house, and he never returned.

Now I face the grim task of getting his body out (I'm not sure if I dare to do it myself) in the morning I guess, and if pet autopsy is a common practice? It is just so sudden for a young and healthy cat to go just like that...

:bheart: :bheart: :bheart:

PJ

Sounds like it was poisoned. No offence but really shouldnt let your cats out to roam. There are some people that really dislike cats. And latest news on CNA, H5N1 virus or bird flu found in stray cats in Jakarta.... sigh I foresee a storm coming where lots of cats in Singapore are going to die.

PJ,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Autopsies are available from the AVA through any vet clinic in SG.

However, it is very important to preserve the body as decay may make the autopsy more difficult, and also cause inaccurate findings.

Double wrap the body and store it in the freezer till you can get it to a vet clinic. I seriously doubt if leaving the body in the drain overnight where it would be exposed to the elements, plus possible predators (rats, strays) as well as all sorts of insects and parastes, is a good idea.

In any case, by tomorrow, it would be more decomposed and retreiving the bidy then might be much more unpleasant (for you) - if the body has not been consumed or moved.

Alternatively, you could try calling the AVA directly to see if they accept reauests for autopsies not coming through a vet clinic.

Last I remember going through a clinic the fee is around SGD150.

Hope you get the closure you seek.

Hi PJ,

Being a cat lover myself I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to one of your pet cats. Like mentioned, there are definately some sick people out there who just don't give a care on whether it involves a life that they are taking by doing what they do to strays or lost pets.

As for the autopsy that you intend to do on your cat, do think about it as in whether you really want to come to facts on what really happened as it might or might not be very pleasant.

Do take care and hope you get over your loss soon.

Thanks guys for your concern. The body has been extracted and sent to AVA for autopsy. As I've other cats, one concern would be disease. Junior was a healthy male, no illness before, vaccinated/neutered, hence if it was disease, I'll need to make sure my other cat is free from it, etc.

sorry to hear about your case. :cry: I was thinking that the cat died from exhaustion? trying to find it's way out of the drain?

Do update us on the results ok?

Please do keep your cats indoors. Singapore is not the place to let your pet cat roam around.

sorry to hear this...

u got nice cats.. still remember stroking one of them that time...

take care...

Please do keep your cats indoors. Singapore is not the place to let your pet cat roam around.

cat diff to keep inside.. they tend to 'run' ard...

This sounds so much like that whole cats are nomadic thing the HDB is feeding the public recently.
cat diff to keep inside.. they tend to 'run' ard...

Dear CS'ers,

Thank you all for your concern. I believe Junior has made it safely to cat heaven. His father, Tommy (in my avatar), seems to be missing him. Tommy has been standing by the gate....waiting for his beloved son. They're never been best of friends, Tommy tend to be more affectionate towards Tommy, while Tommy only shows affection whenever he deems fit.

I could not even look at a picture of Junior w/o breaking down again....I hope to be able to do so soon...

sorry to hear that...still waiting to get a cat if mum says yes...

Losing a pet is always hard. Just know that time will heal the pain :) Focus on the good times and it will help.

Losing a pet is always hard. Just know that time will heal the pain :) Focus on the good times and it will help.

i agree time is needed to heal..

i din tok for a full week when my dog went heaven...

Status
Not open for further replies.