Autofocus

Status
Not open for further replies.

noelle

Aug 7, 2007
Another newbie q...

Sometimes, not all the time, when I use AF instead of Manual, the lens zooms in and out, refusing to take the picture... Can someone tell me what's happening or what I'm doing wrong?

Find it really annoying and sometimes embarrassing when I'm standing next to someone and they can hear the lens going in and out... :embrass: Because of this, I usually resort to using Manual focus but I would like to try using AF since seems like AF is the preferred option for most people...

AF requires sufficient light and contrast for it to work.
can you describe your situation please?

Another newbie q...

Sometimes, not all the time, when I use AF instead of Manual, the lens zooms in and out, refusing to take the picture... Can someone tell me what's happening or what I'm doing wrong?

Find it really annoying and sometimes embarrassing when I'm standing next to someone and they can hear the lens going in and out... :embrass: Because of this, I usually resort to using Manual focus but I would like to try using AF since seems like AF is the preferred option for most people...

Like what LiOnElLiN said,

you can't lock your AF on a white wall or a dark sky, so you need to find something has line or texture at the same distance as the subject, once AF locked, recompose your frame.

i see...

off the top of my head, some situations:.
- shooting scenery with blue sky as catchlights mentioned
- shooting school fashion show - was held at night in school hall i guess as suggested by LiOnElLiN because of low lighting
- also sometimes when the object i'm shooting is close to me

in such instances, do i just use Manual Focus then? :)

ya, when there is no contrast, i.e. the surface you are attempting to focus on or object is uniform, af won't work
same when there is no light

then you might want to place something with contrast on your af points, which is why certain bodies are not very favoured, not enough af points (unlike k100d, coughhackcough).. if that fails because you don't like the resultant composition, then have to manual focus

for the object too close, might have something to do with minimum focusing distance
go explore slrgear.com
they will have the minimum focusing distance listed under specifications

thanks guys! think i understand now..

if the moment is not going to be there for long usually i switch to manual focus and focus it and then take a shot. after that remember to switch back to AF. :)

Another newbie q...

use MF is the right move =)

Status
Not open for further replies.