Auto shooting and skill

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBL2009

Jul 9, 2009
Seletar Estate, Singapore
I have been shooting pictures with my newly acquired D40 for a few days and my observation is that Auto mode gives me nice and clear pictures but they don't always produce what I actually see. This is the reason why we shoot in the manual mode? So I made a right decision on a DSLR. Even in manual mode, different settings have different effect on the pictures. Getting the right setting to accurately capture the object or to produce one with desirable results are a big challenge. Today with digital we can shoot and shoot and choose the one we like best but back in the old days when film was expensive, photographer must really have good skills and judgement as he can't afford to keep shooting.

I wonder, if we just shoot, choose the best and later use photoshop to perfect the picture, will we learn and acquire the skills?

1) nothing produces what you actually see.

2) no, manual mode will allow you to have more freedom over what you want, but a photograph remains a photograph, not reality.

3) in the old days when film was expensive, there were still people who machine gunned stuff, there were still people who didn't get good pictures despite shooting for a long time. the difference is mindset and attitude, not format. of course, it is easier to improve faster these days. but whether people bother to make that improvement due to the more forgiving nature of digital is another story altogether.

4) photoshop can improve and add to a picture, it can bring out the photographer's vision. but without a basically good photo in the first place, a bad photograph remains a bad photograph.

i like using auto mode too.

I have been shooting pictures with my newly acquired D40 for a few days and my observation is that Auto mode gives me nice and clear pictures but they don't always produce what I actually see. This is the reason why we shoot in the manual mode? So I made a right decision on a DSLR. Even in manual mode, different settings have different effect on the pictures. Getting the right setting to accurately capture the object or to produce one with desirable results are a big challenge. Today with digital we can shoot and shoot and choose the one we like best but back in the old days when film was expensive, photographer must really have good skills and judgement as he can't afford to keep shooting.

I wonder, if we just shoot, choose the best and later use photoshop to perfect the picture, will we learn and acquire the skills?

if you just blindly shoot, I don't think a single shot can qualify as the best... "best of the worst", maybe... No photoshop skill can rescue a horrible shot (eg. severely overexposed, out of focus, blur due to hand-shake, poorly composed, etc)

what do you think leh?

if can just go out auto bang bang bang, than come back trashcan delete delete delete, follow exposure lightroom lightroom lightroom, after that composition crop crop crop.

what can you learn from these?

TS,

Maybe you shld trying using P mode follow by S then A mode. Lastly, M mode. Thats how i started, slowly explore the functions and which mode is good for this and that, anything just read back on the manual.

For Auto mode, i don think there's anything u can fiddle with.

Just my 2 cents worth. No offense. :)

Last edited:
In Auto Mode, you can learn to compensate for backlighting using the EV adjustment. Large black and white subject also require some compensation.

One skill that technology can never replace is "Composition". ;)

Hey no worries. Be ready get a group of friends don't offend thm to review your photos and give comments. They give you face sure say your photos good. Don't offend those you don't really know they will tell you your photos bad. Agar agar shoot can already. Shoot raw. That;s why they take so long to process and upload or give you the high resolution. Not because they not free no time. Wantt o have only one shot the best - can achieve only in studio where you control the lighting, or over and over at the same location cause you always shoot there and know which spots to get good lighting and photos. :bsmilie:

One skill that technology can never replace is "Composition". ;)

A camera can now recognise the face and smile; very soon it'll be able to recognise a good composition.

TS,

Maybe you shld trying using P mode follow by S then A mode. Lastly, M mode. Thats how i started, slowly explore the functions and which mode is good for this and that, anything just read back on the manual... :)

Agree fully. That was also how I learned. A very senior gentleman told me to start off with P, and observe what P mode does with its settings of the sutter speed and aperture, then try to mimick that using Av (aperture priority), Tv (shutter priority) and later M mode. I didn't believe him then. But now I kow tow to him...

It's important to understand the relation between Aperture, Speed and ISO.

There's more to taking photos than just shutter aperture and iso. Of cousre its essential tounderstand them but if people tell you only need to understand these to take good photos then ppl just leading you in circles.

You will learn photography faster in the past...
As you have mentioned, every shot counts in the past...cos' every shot costs $$$.

These days, people are trigger happy....a short trip can end up with a few thousands photos.
How many of us can afford to do that in the past?

I reckon most film photographers are like snipers, compose..think...and gently squeeze the trigger. (or button for photographers)
These days, with DSLR....many are like machine gunners....just aim, dont need to think much..and trigger off. One of the shot, will "surely" hit the target...that is always the mentality.

I am slowly picking up my Nikon FM2 after many years, and glad that I am enjoying photography on a different dimension again.

i learned in full manual.... the slowly shift to A and S mode.... Mean me understand more about the shutter speed, aperture and ISO relation..

A camera can now recognise the face and smile; very soon it'll be able to recognise a good composition.

Maybe it knows where to focus and when to snap, but it cannot set the composition for you. ;)

Maybe it knows where to focus and when to snap, but it cannot set the composition for you. ;)

No offences here. Who knows what will come out in the future? Did anyone every tot of bring a phone out on the street and yak all the way? or anyone tot of having his/her phone in the pocket when its back in the 70's? I believe there are many which tot it was impossible then, as time goes by and tech improves, i think almost everything is possible. Jus a matter of time.

Thanks all.

This is the take away from all your advice -

1. Start from P then A, S and finally M
2. Learn composition
3. Think and shoot as if it is the last shot

and I need to have a pocket diary with me to take notes or I will forget the reasons for using different settings for the pictures.

I think #3 should be Understanding Lighting and Colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.