Auto or Manual Gear for Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

JL1500k

Apr 14, 2004
Which one will you decide if you are going to purchase a 1.4CC car and below. Auto or Manual gear?

Some people said manual gear consume less petro than auto type.

JL1500k said:
Some people said manual gear consume less petro than auto type.

True on petrol comsumption, and manual cars are cheaper too :p But if you always get stuck in traffic jams, auto gear more convenient

MF lens also consume less battery, but AF is so convenient

I'd go for Auto, great if you are stuck on a hill or going up a car park ramp.

ortega said:
MF lens also consume less battery, but AF is so convenient

I'd go for Auto, great if you are stuck on a hill or going up a car park ramp.

i love manual if i am driving on outskirts only, if going into CBD, i drive auto...

For car below 1.6, I would recommend manual gear.

Ola said:

depending on how heavy the driver is ? :bsmilie:

Go for manual one.
1.)Low maintenance
2.)Lower fuel consumption
3.)More enjoyable, full control+more safety
4.)Cheaper
5.)Good legs exercise(clutch in-clutch out):bsmilie:

yea, manual is the way to go.

but one note of caution, they can be a little harder to sell 2nd hand.

I prefer a leisure drive anywhere
so Auto's for me after almost 10 years of Manual ;)

caseytan said:
True on petrol comsumption, and manual cars are cheaper too :p But if you always get stuck in traffic jams, auto gear more convenient

If you get stuck in traffic jams for 5 mins interval or waiting for traffic lights, will you put on brake on the time or put to N gear than back to D again when ok to move.

Will it wear and tear

For short stops, you're supposed to leave it in D and hold on the foot brake.

JL1500k said:
If you get stuck in traffic jams for 5 mins interval or waiting for traffic lights, will you put on brake on the time or put to N gear than back to D again when ok to move.

Will it wear and tear

I've driven a 1.0L auto car with not much problems.

Auto is much more convenient. Traffic jams and half-clutch/1st gear is irritating. Its also easier to park with the brake than with the half-clutch nonsense.

Also, on ramps and all, its the manual car drivers who always roll backwards due to improper technique (the proper technique is way troublesome on a manual car).

Ola said:

vince123123 said:
I've driven a 1.0L auto car with not much problems.

Auto is much more convenient. Traffic jams and half-clutch/1st gear is irritating. Its also easier to park with the brake than with the half-clutch nonsense.

Also, on ramps and all, its the manual car drivers who always roll backwards due to improper technique (the proper technique is way troublesome on a manual car).
ehh..not true..auto cars also roll backwards...

+evenstar said:

depends on who is driving... and how steep the slope... the one outside Mt E, no matter wat car u drive, if u dun pull hand brake, then press accelerator and release hand brake, your car sure roll backwards.

i always put to N whenever possible. when in D, the clutch is always engaged and will keep wearing your clutch plates. furthermore if you're the kind who always go fo red light sprints, it'll wear your clutch out pretty fast. On average, a new set of clutch plates should last you between 3 and 5 years for normal drivers.

For chiongsters or PG regulars, 1 year or less is also possible

Forgot to add, I drive manual most of the time now. I prefer the ablity to control my engine braking during turns.

It also depends on your driving style. Personally, I prefer auto as I am a lazy driver :bsmilie: If want to save on petrol, go for an auto hybird car :bsmilie:

+evenstar said:
those are like me i guess.. put to N and pull handbrake but release handbrake first then put to D. Sure rollback. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.