Auto for Group/ Gathering Photos?

solvil

Feb 4, 2010
Hi!

Newbie here. Bought D90 two months ago, but just started learning recently.
I took photos of frenz, but usually in auto mode.

So here, my question...
Using DSLR, what's the mode you using used when taking group photos or candid photos of frenz?

Auto? Or Manual?

Cheeeeersss!:D

What are "frenz"? Or do you mean "friends"?

If the latter, well, if you get good shots in Auto, why not? But if you want to use a setting other than auto, then I suggest starting with Aperture mode first before venturing into full manual. Remember, every situation, every angle, every room, every restaurant, bar, etc, will have different lighting conditions. In manual, you will need to be prepared to re-adjust your settings for each of these situations.

If your pictures look good, who really cares what mode you are using?

For starting, use Auto or P mode so that you can concentrate and learn more on the composition.

Then learn how to have more control of the camera setting to get the exposure that you want with A, S and M mode

Wil recommend A mode at least to start with as u need the greater dof for grp pictures

I see!

Thanks for the reply.

Asking this.. because just recently I went to clubsnap gathering and learn that usually photographers DON'T use 'night' mode when taking photos at night!

They use (P or M mode) and adjust the shutter speed and aperture to take great photos!

What are "frenz"? Or do you mean "friends"?

If the latter, well, if you get good shots in Auto, why not? But if you want to use a setting other than auto, then I suggest starting with Aperture mode first before venturing into full manual. Remember, every situation, every angle, every room, every restaurant, bar, etc, will have different lighting conditions. In manual, you will need to be prepared to re-adjust your settings for each of these situations.

Sorry Rashkae!
I mean friends! Apologised for my english!
Thanks for the repy!

One of the advantages of a DSLR is the ability to adjust various settings (eg. aperture, shutter speed, white balance, ISO speed, etc) quickly.
Especially with the D90, which has the additional LCD on the top and the 2 command dials.

This does not mean that the auto scene modes should not ever be used... but really... I think the objective should be to move away from such modes as soon as possible.

The semi-pro/pro models (eg. D300, D700, D3) DO NOT have such scene modes... Does that give you a clue what serious photographers prefer?

ya!

And there's lots of differences too!
The night shots I took using A and P mode are really a lot better than the Auto night mode!

That's why there are so much differences between semipro/ pro and newbie like me! Haa

One of the advantages of a DSLR is the ability to adjust various settings (eg. aperture, shutter speed, white balance, ISO speed, etc) quickly.
Especially with the D90, which has the additional LCD on the top and the 2 command dials.

This does not mean that the auto scene modes should not ever be used... but really... I think the objective should be to move away from such modes as soon as possible.

The semi-pro/pro models (eg. D300, D700, D3) DO NOT have such scene modes... Does that give you a clue what serious photographers prefer?

DOes D200 consider semi pro ?

DOes D200 consider semi pro ?

D200 is the predecessor to the D300... I guess I would classify it as a semi-pro DSLR.

If you have a D200 (or you can get your hands on one), you'll notice that its mode dial does not have all those logos for the various scene modes (eg. night portrait, sports, landscape, etc etc).

Which ever mode that gives you the results you need, is fastest, and what you're most comfortable with.

Knowing about light, controlling exposure and how to make it all work for you is way more important. :)

Last edited:
Which ever mode that gives you the results you need, is fastest, and what you're most comfortable with.

Knowing about light, controlling exposure and how to make it all work for you is way more important. :)

well said! I agree!

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your comments!

I have a few friends using A-Dep mode on Canon DSLRs. And when i went to read up on my manual on that mode, it describes that mode placing focus on both front and back subjects, so all will be in focus. Dont know how true, but yahs..