auto-focus on timed self-portraits

TroyP

Dec 23, 2008
How do you do the focusing on self portraits?

I tried to take pics of myself in my home studio on a plain white background.
D90 was mounted on tripod.
I set the timer to 10 secs, and focus to AF-C (continuous). AF-S and AF-A was no diff.
But as soon as I press the shutter, it tries to focus immediately, and can't because of the plain white background, and refuses to trigger.
Is there a way to make it focus at the end of the timer? Or is there another method I can use? Using manual focus would be difficult too, as I would not be at the precise same position when I sit down.

self portraits better do to MF.

u can MF a particular spot and go back to the same spot before firing off the shot but need to trial and error a few times.

i did one for myself also a few months back :sweatsm:

bro, what is your focussing setting? are using multiple points? try single point and normal zone. hope it helps

Single point, but how will any focus setting help? It tries to focus when there's nothing to focus on, just a white background :dunno:

How to manual focus to begin with, when i'm not sitting in front of the camera or within reach to trigger the camera? lol

Single point, but how will any focus setting help? It tries to focus when there's nothing to focus on, just a white background :dunno:

How to manual focus to begin with, when i'm not sitting in front of the camera or within reach to trigger the camera? lol

u can try my method... pre focus and rem where u need to stand :p

i used this method after doing some research on the internet.

u can improvise...

use a tape and mark a cross (draw a black dot) on the white background, then prefocus on the marking, then go back there and stand. You may need a few shots to get it right.

you need to set up tripod right?

you pose with your camera, focus at the tripod base, isn't the same distance as camera on tripod focus on your own eye? A=B, B=A

What about using a wireless remote to AF on yourself as you pose first.
Then after that, walk back to the camera and change the lens from AF to MF.
And you're done, because from then onwards, you can keep shooting and you will still be in focus.

or better yet...get a remote radio trigger...cheap those things...

mmmm i use MF or my plus IIs depending on my mood. lol.

to me a pawn wireless remote is less of a hassle, i use it all the time when i'm taking self portrait or with my parents on my china trip :D, i think u can get a cheaper one like yongnuo or aparture(pawn cost S$120 in sg, i bought only for 1/2 price in HK lol :bsmilie:) that works the same ;)

Last edited:

Focus with Patrick, switch to manual then take over Patricks place

I use something to pre focus first, like a chair, put at where I will be.

- AF on this chair, then set to MF.
- Remove chair.
- Put 10s timer and pose myself at the spot.

since such background doesn't make the focus point to get locked, i usually do what others have mentioned before. i've tried to put a tape(criss cross) at my face level on the background or pre focus(AF @ you), then reset to MF before taking the final shot. The 1st few shots that I've tried, OMG, i laughed my ass off. It takes a few practice

I just thought of another trick.
I'm using a wired remote ($15).
I could put the camera on AF-C (continuous focus), stand in front of the lens to get the camera to focus while I press the shutter, then move into position and the AF-C should re-find the focus area again (me). :think:

I would love a wireless trigger, however I don't get to use them much to justify the cost, and I may need to take full body pics without the trigger showing.

A wireless trigger for the D90 is less than $10 for a third party solution, pretty useful
Used with the timer on, you'd have enough time to stow away the trigger and smile :)
Have done it using catchlight's method above; works like a charm

A wireless trigger for the D90 is less than $10 for a third party solution, pretty useful
Used with the timer on, you'd have enough time to stow away the trigger and smile :)
Have done it using catchlight's method above; works like a charm

I didn't understand what he was trying to say in that post :dunno:

What is the model of the wireless trigger?
I have the wired mc-dc2 remote control, which was the only cheap solution when I got it about 1.5yrs ago.

Use face detection focus. :devil::bsmilie:

I didn't understand what he was trying to say in that post :dunno:

What is the model of the wireless trigger?
I have the wired mc-dc2 remote control, which was the only cheap solution when I got it about 1.5yrs ago.

Oh ... whipped this crude drawing up using Paint

IGmIf.jpg

Do the first instance, pop the switch to manual focus then mount on the tripod
A=B, B=A
Should have more or less enough DoF

I got myself a second hand ML-L3 off CS BnS for 10 bucks
Would assume that it would be cheaper for third party alternatives; check eBay if you go that route. Free shipping too