Authentic japanese restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.

zj2000

Mar 10, 2007
Just finished watching japan hour and suddenly have this craving for jap food. Anyone knows where I can get authentic japanese food in singapore? The kind that the japanese expat will go to. There used to be a soba shop near my work place called sobaten at raffles place but i think they were forced out by the high rent.

there are a lot of Japanese places at Mohammed Sultan Road.

Try this place at Hong Leong Gardens. There are 3 japanese restaurants operated by aunthentic jap chefs...not those Sakae Sushi type of standard. The price not bad too...18 for sashimi set.

What kind of Japanese food in particular?

Takaya Bistro.
(they got no website, but you can search online, lots of great reviews)

Imo, i like the joint, especially food served by it's senior chef (not japanese, but skilled).
Used to have an outlet in Chinatown Point, they closed it down, left one branch along Upper Thomson Rd (near the stretch of food choices with the popular prata joint)

The prices are very reasonable, the food is very fresh. The previous Chinatown outlet, will have Japanese customers daily. Not too sure bout Thomson outlet.

Cheers! :lovegrin:

honjin restaurant, robinson road.
very nice and authentic japanese food. got 1 for 1 buffet for certain CC.

Takaya Bistro.
(they got no website, but you can search online, lots of great reviews)

Imo, i like the joint, especially food served by it's senior chef (not japanese, but skilled).
Used to have an outlet in Chinatown Point, they closed it down, left one branch along Upper Thomson Rd (near the stretch of food choices with the popular prata joint)

The prices are very reasonable, the food is very fresh. The previous Chinatown outlet, will have Japanese customers daily. Not too sure bout Thomson outlet.

Cheers! :lovegrin:

no no no, not takaya..... :nono:

that place is no good, not to mention authentic japanese food......

overal, usually japanese expats do not dine for particular restaurant. it is usually they drink there for leissure with friends or colleagues.

It's usually the locals that bring their customers to high class japanese restaurant for dining. Japanese hardly bring families to dine at those high class restaurants.

no no no, not takaya..... :nono:

that place is no good, not to mention authentic japanese food......

overal, usually japanese expats do not dine for particular restaurant. it is usually they drink there for leissure with friends or colleagues.

It's usually the locals that bring their customers to high class japanese restaurant for dining. Japanese hardly bring families to dine at those high class restaurants.

u had bad experience?

my previous experiences were good, however that's imo. Takaya isn't fine Japanese dining. So the Japanese i seen were business men having their meals. If family orientated, probably at Liang Court? There i see lots of Japanese families and so on.

When Takaya had two outlets, maybe the Thomson one not as good, but now they have only one outlet, perhaps improved?
Maybe i will go try again one day. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Sushi Jiro

695 East Coast Rd Singapore 459059
Tel 64453055

Lovely sashimi and sushi.
All ingredients flown in from japan

Nanja Monja at the Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel is a popular restaurant serving ikazaya-style food. Run by a group of sisters I believe, they have another restaurant called Kuranonaka at Clarke Quay.

Miharu at the Gallery Hotel serves Hokkaido-style ramen which I feed quite nice, though could be too salty for some people, I think they just expanded their seating capacity recently.

I used to go to this teppanyaki place at the Amara Hotel Arcade, not sure if it's still there thought.

Last edited:
Kuriya at either Lido or Raffles City.

The Kuriya in Lido is more classical japanese while the raffles city one has got a more modern style.

Status
Not open for further replies.