Aurora Australis at New Zealand

fozosix

Nov 2, 2009
Is new zealand actually a good spot to view aurora?

how well this place compare to norway, canada and iceland?

I would also be interested to know about any experiences of seeing the Aurora in New Zealand. I have read it is possible at the southern tip but never knew of anyone who actually saw it there.

If it's true, this could present a much affordable option than going up the Arctic Circle.

Really dying to see it again after my encounters with the stunning lights from my Europe trip.

it is possible to see aurora at southern tip of New Zealand, but only when the activity is strong, from what i read online, aurora only visible in southern NZ only a few times a year, which is far less frequent than going to see it in places like Tromso Norway.

miaoteh said:
it is possible to see aurora at southern tip of New Zealand, but only when the activity is strong, from what i read online, aurora only visible in southern NZ only a few times a year, which is far less frequent than going to see it in places like Tromso Norway.

Nice info..thanks!

U went before?cant seem to find ticket to there.. If u went,care to share the itinerary?

You can fly from Benjin/daily 1 fly (3hr) or Haerbin/daily 1 fly (1.30hr). remember only go @ Summer time.

it is funny that the aurora will only happen in summer. like June, July, and August?

Aurora is strongest in the winter months. I have seen it many times over the last 15 years flying near Alaska and Canada.