Auntie picks fight with girl despite being given Reserved Seat

Maybe the girl should have also offerred the aunty snacks and drinks after giving the seat to her... "Would you also like a massage aunty??"

but then, there is always two sides of a story and the girl may have somewhat unconsciously/consciously angered/provoked the aunty into taking the picture...

Last edited:
its a hit or miss with offering seats. You offer you get the stick. you dont offer you get the bigger stick.

Ive offered seats too old uncles and aunties from ten times that i have offered 4 times they say no they don't want to sit. and they stand for like 20 or more mins. some old people have way to much pride.
Come on if your tired take the seat. no need to show you are still strong at your age. the fact you are moving about independently is proof enough that you still have that much more life left in you.

and its not like i offer seats to only old folk. the basic premise is offer to those in need more than you. whether they are young or old.

Hmmm. Is it me or does the aunty not look that old?

I think RESERVED seats should be for full-fare-paying passengers. Concession passengers (seniors and students) should be required to give up their seats when a full-fare-paying passenger is there.

But at the same time, a full-fare-paying passenger can choose to give up the seat to 'someone who needs it more' (how do you objectively judge this?). And when they get the seat, I hope that those who 'need it more' can show more gratitude.

I think RESERVED seats should be for full-fare-paying passengers. Concession passengers (seniors and students) should be required to give up their seats when a full-fare-paying passenger is there.

But at the same time, a full-fare-paying passenger can choose to give up the seat to 'someone who needs it more' (how do you objectively judge this?). And when they get the seat, I hope that those who 'need it more' can show more gratitude.

What you talking? You sound like uneducated in morals and social grace.

It's for elderly citizens, handicapped, pregnant and people with babies and young children.

People should not occupy these privilege seats in the first place regardless got these people around or not coz when these seats are occupied you will pretend to sleep or play with phone and pretend not to see.

The moral of the story, do not sit on a reserved seat regardless there is any taker or not :)

I agree,

If that's the only seat that's vacant, i'll not sit on it

I think the guy sitting next to the AUNTY should feel ashamed too, as he can also offer the seat to that AUNTY.

I agree .. it has nothing to do with paying full fares or you are using concession ezlink card.

It's for elderly citizens, handicapped, pregnant and people with babies and young children.

People should not occupy these privilege seats in the first place regardless got these people around or not coz when these seats are occupied you will pretend to sleep or play with phone and pretend not to see.

Yes, to CSers of high education and on high moral ground. My perverse view is that there shouldn’t be reserved seats for “people who need it more’. Because everyone needs the seat just as much. Don't tell me that able-bodied young people are never in need of a seat.

I re-assert my theory that if there’s any one who deserves the seat more, it’s those who pay more. Let market forces decide.

And more importantly, to those who receive a seat from someone who gives it up to you, please express some gratitude. The world doesn’t owe you a seat just because you are senior, pregnant, diabled or pretending to be asleep.

The moral of the story, do not sit on a reserved seat regardless there is any taker or not :)

True.

I always avoid reserve seat.

Other people always assume that I am taking away their seat when I am sitting on it.

Even though I am carry heavy gears and deserve to sit on it for my journey from City Hall to Woodlands.

I think to be fair, no one knows what happened before the scene opened.

That said, from what I can see in the video, the older woman was quite persistent in provoking the younger woman and pushing the issue despite a relatively mild and measured initial response from the latter.

Vehemently disagree with your first paragraph. Society is built upon foundations beyond just "who pays more".

I agree that there is nothing wrong with showing gratitude if you have been offered a seat. Nonetheless, I am also certain that the people who gave up their seats are not looking for gratitude but are doing it out of a sense of what is right and wrong.

Not really. Your line seems to advocate that only reserved seats are up for grabs for the needy. So if the 8? reserved seats in a carriage are taken up by old/pregnant/injured people and one more comes on-board, the rest sitting in non-reserved seats should just gaze around and feign blindness? (Of course, if all are taken up already, then I have no answer. This seems quite unlikely though.)

One should always give up your seat to someone more deserving. Even if your offers are continually rejected, or if people give you funny answers, why care? Not as if you are doing it to get praise, or for some improvement of self-image... (if you are, then never mind) The right reason for doing so is because you want to, and feel that you should.

Society is built upon foundations beyond just "who pays more".
QUOTE]

I disagree with this statement. It is altruistic and wishful at best. Because in reality, the world revolves around who pays more. That's the most basic free-market, capitalist principle.

So, those who wish to have a seat, please pay full fare. If that's still enough to guarantee you of a seat, then pay more to take a taxi. If that's still not comfortable enough, pay even more to buy a car. But never pay minimum price and expect oceans to part while you stroll to a seat.

I disagree with this statement. It is altruistic and wishful at best. Because in reality, the world revolves around who pays more. That's the most basic free-market, capitalist principle.

So, those who wish to have a seat, please pay full fare. If that's still enough to guarantee you of a seat, then pay more to take a taxi. If that's still not comfortable enough, pay even more to buy a car. But never pay minimum price and expect oceans to part while you stroll to a seat.

I don't think saying that society considers things beyond "who pays more" is quite the opposite of "the world revolving around who pays more". It does depend on who you're dealing with.

Saying that everyone operates on capitalist principles is silly. Take an imaginary example of a wedding photographer faced with 2 clients, one who pays $8,000 for a job but insults him nonstop and acts like a diva; and the second paying $6,000 for the same job but is much more cordial. I won't deny that there are many people who might whore themselves for the first client, but there are also many people who won't.

Well, if you think that all suppliers are non-discretionary and blind, unthinking peons... Decisions are taken both ways. I suppose you could argue that both clients would have takers eventually but it is clear enough that your broad sweeping statement does not apply to all alike.

Obviously SMRT does not take your view by providing reserved seats for seniors, who are paying a concession fare. That is the cold, hard reality and in other places like Taiwan this is also exercised. How about the classic examples of defense, street lighting, etc which are funded through general taxation? The rich don't exactly get a higher level of service in these examples, despite contributing more taxes. How's that for the world revolving around who pays more? :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Big Kahuna said:

I do take the train occasionally, and 99% of the time, I am standing right next to the door. Can't even see the seat :p

Wonder why is it not feasible to have a separate carriage for the elderly, needy, pregnant, babies, etc? Going by observation, there is enough of them to fill at least 1/2 to 1 carriage for each ride (I may be wrong in my observation). A separate carriage will definately be more comfortable for them. :dunno:

For the remaining carriages, the ppl can then slug-it-out amongst themselves :cool: