Audrey....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deyeno

Jan 22, 2009
Singapore
Audrey-CS1.jpg

Hi All,

This picture was taken from a shoot I attended. What I like about this picture is this models eyes and smile. There has been no post processing.
EXIF Data
Model: Canon EOS 40D
Exposure time: 1/100 s
F-number: F/8
Exposure program: Manual
ISO Speed: 100
Shutter Speed: 1/99 s
Aperture: F/8
Focal length: 70 mm

I would like feedback on how to improve composition, the feel of the picture, what if any post processing can be done and how to crop the picture so that the models eyes and smile jump out at you.

Last edited:
Check your compression. Its showing up with moire and compression artifacts.

I would like feedback on how to improve composition, the feel of the picture, what if any post processing can be done and how to crop the picture so that the models eyes and smile jump out at you.
You can just cut the eye and lips out and put into another layer with black or white background, sure to 'jump out at you'

But if you are looking for a better portrait, then try to minimise distraction. your background is too distracting, and what she is wearing is a distraction, if you wish for people to notice on items only that you want, you have to remove these distractions. Then put on a neutral background to emphasize the subject in matter. then when you take the close up on the face, make sure the face is clean from oil blotches, etc, then focus only on the eye, and shoot wide open. lighting should be even.

Check your compression. Its showing up with moire and compression artifacts.

You can just cut the eye and lips out and put into another layer with black or white background, sure to 'jump out at you'

But if you are looking for a better portrait, then try to minimise distraction. your background is too distracting, and what she is wearing is a distraction, if you wish for people to notice on items only that you want, you have to remove these distractions. Then put on a neutral background to emphasize the subject in matter. then when you take the close up on the face, make sure the face is clean from oil blotches, etc, then focus only on the eye, and shoot wide open. lighting should be even.

Del_CtrlnoAlt

As a total newbie to post processing and still learning.

So now I go and understand what you mean by moire and compression artifacts.

As I indicated, had to resize from original, to meet the upload requirements here, as I dont as yet have my external site up for hosting pictures. So the compression problems you stated could be due to that.

Why I posted the full pic without cropping was to get the reply you give me on how to give the picture more impact.

Thanks for your comments, very much appreciated.

Cheers

Why f/8? Is there anything in the background that will make your photo better?

If you want it to 'pop', the easiest way you could have done it while shooting is to use your widest aperture.

I would have liked it if you used another white pillow instead of the black one -- to make her face pop out =)

Why f/8? Is there anything in the background that will make your photo better?

If you want it to 'pop', the easiest way you could have done it while shooting is to use your widest aperture.

Why F/8.. That was the setting we were given for the shoot, being a newbie I also need to take faith in the shoot organiser to understand settings.

This was taken in a hotel room, I had a remote flash trigger on my camera supplied by the shoot organiser, I worked with what I was given.

This is why I posted the image was to learn more, all comments and critique are welcome, because without that how can one learn.

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers ....

I would have liked it if you used another white pillow instead of the black one -- to make her face pop out =)

Unfortunately the pillows were on the bed supplied.

One of the reasons for posting the whole picture was to learn also how to crop effectively.

Cheers ,,,

Looks like lighting was provided for you which is a good thing that most of us don't have.

Next time, you can arrange the settings to your liking. Eg. change/remove pillows, her clothing, poses, hair, remove any unwanted "rubbish" in the background such as phone, paper, reflection etc.

I don't think there's any much more cropping you can do as it is now. For a wider opening, you can adjust your shutter/ISO etc. but unlikely over 1/250 & you're already @ ISO100 but you can bring down the light of your strobe? I'm not exactly well versed in this, some others can please chip in.

Lighting/exposure is flat. Could do with some 'pop' to the model.
The shutter speed could go higher like 1/180 or 1/250 to cut off ambient light behind the model. If this is not ambient but flash falloff, then lower flash pwr/ model-bkgnd distance/ flash-model distance and/or adjust aperture or distance accordingly.

Commenting from portraiture point of view...camera angle is slightly high, the subject now looks a bid hunch. Would be better if she sits on a chair or sofa using the wall as backdrop.
Bathrobe indicates a change of outfit ?

Group shooting session...tolerance expected.

Hi! you could have moved in closer :) Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.