audiophiles help me

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SE models are the newer lines of models by Shure. The prices range from $200 to $900 simply because of the levels of miniaturization involved. The top of the line one packs 3 speakers(technically these are known as balanced armature drivers) into a space not much bigger than your average earphones. The SE series is pretty much for consumer usage whereas the older E series were designed originally with stage performers in mind. More speakers in the earphone means more range (dynamic range in CS terms:bsmilie:) basically.

SE530 - 3 drivers, two for bass and one for tweeter
SE420 - 2 drivers
SE310 - single driver
SE210 - single driver

More drivers = more ex!

Back in my days of head-fi, dual drivers were already considered top-end.

SE530, with the 3 drivers, would sound closer to what a speaker setup would be like, especially in terms of soundstage that would appear bigger than the headspace around you, stretching further beyond the physical boundaries of the IEM.

Here is a short review of the SE range by Tyll Hertsens, someone whom I tend to trust.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230613&highlight=se530+review

I would suggest that you audition these, perhaps at Stereo Electronics at Causeway Point (look for the friendly Aaron) or Jaben (look for Uncle Wilson), especially when comfort and fit is concerned.

I always have problems fitting on Shure while Westone fits perfectly. You can also do a custom earmold at either Stereo or Jaben (Adelphi) for better isolation and bass performance.

Below is THE forum to visit for headphones/amps.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/index.php

Hope this helps.

Jeanie,

This is not audioplhile grade equipment. These are high tech gadgets.:(

But I guess, you would not walk around with a thrue audiophile headphone like Stax or high end Grado.:bsmilie:

Nevertheless, hope you find what you are after.

How about walking around with Sony R10 and Senn HE90? :)

I always have problems fitting on Shure while Westone fits perfectly. You can also do a custom earmold at either Stereo or Jaben (Adelphi) for better isolation and bass performance.

shure's a perfect fit for me, but i'm not comfortable with the westone 3, and the UE triplefi doesnt fit well at all.

after the UE triplefi gets modded to a shure biflange, its much more isolating, else on its own its uncomfortable and isolation is very poor.

flange.jpg

http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/SEModels/index.htm

please take a look at the various models listed.

may i know what are the significant difference that justifies the price difference in the models?

the high end ones cost about $900+SGD.

appreciate all inputs.

well.. i had both the e5c and the se530, sold the e5c recently (to fund a lens :(). the audible difference between a twin driver and a triple driver is that the triple driver handles sound staging much better than that of the dual driver. the e5cs were very intimate sounding if you love vocals, the se530's more dynamic, does not have the similar "in your head" feel as the e5. if you listen to kunzel's 1812, the cannon shots you can feel the snap and the "air movement"

as of yet comparison between the e5c, the se530, and the UE triplefi, the se530 stays on most of the time. recently i had a visitor to my hostel room, and she got to try all the earphones, inclusive of a pair of old e3s, and her pick was the se530. in the audio field.. it always remains.. YMMV <-- your mileage may vary.

if you are considering the UE, note that its BIG.. and it sticks out of your ears, its hard to stick into your ear even with the smallest earbuds.. i guess asian ears are small.. but the bass/lows are something to die for.. rich, deep.. and.. oh boy.. almost audiophillic if you like that big, punchy vintage bass.

I compared it during the Comex show: They had the Shure SE530 on demo and I compared it to the Senn 450. Size & weight aside, the SE530 was very impressive, though it had a tendency to sound a bit "bright". The Senn 450 was a bit more mellow, but the gap between the ear and the cup (at least on my head) allow some ambient sound to leak in.

Is it worth the $8xx? I would think so if you enjoy music with vocals and soft passages inbetween, esp. in noisy environments -- the isolating sponges work well in both the noise reduction and keeping the earpiece in position inspite of sudden head movement or chewing crunchy food :)

Try to demo it at Ban Leong Technologies Limited (www.banleong.com) before you decide.

Personally, when I go to the gym, I'm using a pair of Koss that I bought in Japan for US$20, dunno why they don't sell these here. They are cheap and good, I don't mind if they get sweaty and the type of music in the gym isn't really audiophile-ish. Replacement sponges go for US$9 for 5-pairs.

SPARKPLUG_1.jpg

thanks very very much for all the feedback.

i'm only querying about SHURE so please give your feedback based on these.

sorry, i dont know nuts about audio but i know some of you guys sure expert in this field.

so to summarise,

-the E series is definitely better than the SE series is it?
i'm a sucker for super clear music and all i can say is the ipod stock headphones really cannot make it.

-will i be able to tell the difference between the high end E series vs the SE high end series?

-i dont need sound isolation since i dont take public transport.it's only for the occasional after lunch chillout where i isolate myself from everything else to relax.

so which model should i buy?

will it be detrimental to my hearing for these kind of in-ear headphones?
last thing i want is slowly going deaf.

thanks very very much for all the feedback.

i'm only querying about SHURE so please give your feedback based on these.

sorry, i dont know nuts about audio but i know some of you guys sure expert in this field.

so to summarise,

-the E series is definitely better than the SE series is it?
i'm a sucker for super clear music and all i can say is the ipod stock headphones really cannot make it.

-will i be able to tell the difference between the high end E series vs the SE high end series?

-i dont need sound isolation since i dont take public transport.it's only for the occasional after lunch chillout where i isolate myself from everything else to relax.

so which model should i buy?

SE is the newer and better one. E500 is slightly roll off, so not the super clear music that you want.

Depending on your source, you may or may not find significant difference between the E and SE series.

for E5C, the cable will turn slimy green.

Better isolation = better sound staging.

will it be detrimental to my hearing for these kind of in-ear headphones?
last thing i want is slowly going deaf.

Do you tend to "blast" music? The phones are detailed enough such that you would not need to turn up the volume to hear clearly. The isolation helps as well.

As long as you don't listen for long hours, it should be fine.

if $ no object, then SE530 is good to buy.

SE is the newer and better one. E500 is slightly roll off, so not the super clear music that you want.

Depending on your source, you may or may not find significant difference between the E and SE series.

for E5C, the cable will turn slimy green.

Better isolation = better sound staging.

can explain the cable turning algae phenomenon?

so i guess i should settle on SE series.

Do you tend to "blast" music? The phones are detailed enough such that you would not need to turn up the volume to hear clearly. The isolation helps as well.

As long as you don't listen for long hours, it should be fine.

no i dont.even in my car when my engine overpowers the stereo, i dont even blast my stereo...
ok, well, maybe once in a while when i'm pissed.
:embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.