Audiophile CS-ers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by ckiang
Oi, better don't start. Otherwise, we will have fortnightly HIFI SEEDs liao. :devil:
(buy cable, buy tube, buy accessory, buy speaker, CD player, CD tweaks, etc etc ;p )
Regards
CK
Better than photography SEED, isn't it?
you can tweak hifi equipments, but can you tweak camera & lenses? :devil:

Originally posted by tsdh
Better than photography SEED, isn't it?
you can tweak hifi equipments, but can you tweak camera & lenses? :devil:

Actually you can, to a certain extent. Got people remove the IR blocking filter in their DC to improve IR performance, etc. :)

But yeah lar, hifi is more fun to tweak. :)

Regards
CK

Ckiang wrote:And yes, ultimate will be to digital out your PC to a 24/192 external DAC, to a pre/power combo, then to speakers of your choice.

Originally posted by scanner
Err...might as welll invest in a Home Threater system, then can play AC3 Audio CDs, that what I called digital.

However, as a audiophile, I would rather use analog connection. The sound is much better than a transitor sound.
Maybe one of these day, we can sit down to talk about HIFI other than photography. :D

Heh..not to nitpick, but using analogue connections for a CD source is no different from using an external DAC, the source is still digital. And AC3 format is a lossy compressed format meant mainly for squeezing many audio channels into a movie LD. Using it for audio isn't exactly good for sonics.:)

Originally posted by Zerstorer
Ckiang wrote:And yes, ultimate will be to digital out your PC to a 24/192 external DAC, to a pre/power combo, then to speakers of your choice.

Heh..not to nitpick, but using analogue connections for a CD source is no different from using an external DAC, the source is still digital. And AC3 format is a lossy compressed format meant mainly for squeezing many audio channels into a movie LD. Using it for audio isn't exactly good for sonics.:)

That's why we have SACD, and DVD-Audio with uncompressed PCM as well. Want analog, try LPs with tube amps. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Zerstorer

Sorry, I think you might got the wrong impression. What I'm comparing is a audiophile system to a PC audio system. Pls. read the previous posts.

But, one thing for sure. The feeling of AC3 Audio system is very different from a "traditional" audio system (2 speaker output, be it tude amp, LP, or from a CD source). Think of the sound stage...imagine if you're right infront of a live performance........got it? ;)

But, one thing for sure. The feeling of AC3 Audio system is very different from a "traditional" audio system (2 speaker output, be it tude amp, LP, or from a CD source). Think of the sound stage...imagine if you're right infront of a live performance........got it? ;)

Agree about the ambience that can be generated by a multichannel setup but I still don't think AC3 encoding is that hot..:)

Sorry, I think you might got the wrong impression. What I'm comparing is a audiophile system to a PC audio system. Pls. read the previous posts.

AC3 can't quite cut it to get that live feeling. You need multichanel uncompressed PCM audio. :)

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.