Status
Not open for further replies.

popeye

Apr 14, 2003
Visit site
Any of you also hobbyst in audio? :D
Is there any such a forum in singapore?

another expensive hobby....

i am not consider as audiophile...i do have a good set of computer speakers that came from UK....but they are nothing compare to real hifi system

U might wanna try HWZ, think they have a one for audiophiles.

Another forum is this one http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php

i think inside there, the ppl more hardcore. :D

Last time i oso quite interested in audio stuff one, and spend a little fortune on interlinks and plugs and monoblocks and pre/power amps. blah blah blah and the list goes on. Jus when i was about to lose control i asked myself and realised there will be no end to it, so i decide to jus sit back and appreciate the music instead of the hardware. From then on, that was it. As long as the Hi FI sounds fine and im happy with it, i wont upgrade and upgrade.

My dad have a friend who is so siao in this AV and hifi thing that the amount of money he spend on his equiptments can buy car liao. Not some lousy car mind you. But those cars like entry level BM or Merz. But i guess its his money and if his happy with it, why not?? :)

I dont think the HWZ forums are really about Hi-Fi stuff.

Well i have read some of their post in HWZ, tho they might not be dabbling with the likes of B&W or Macintosh or Wadia, or vidikrons etc. Their toks and post is still revolving around brands and models that still sound quite HI FI or AV to me. Difference is, they are more attainable for the more average mortals like us.

For majority of HWZ audiophilers, their hardware is bought at places like Harvey Norman or Sim Lim or People's Park Complex. More mid range, but still sound reasonably good.

Whereas those hardcore guys will be dumping their cash by the inches thick in Aldelphi on top end horns and tube mono blocs amps, searching for that depth, that crytal clear imaging and ambience, 3d effect rich and clean sound etc.

Originally posted by popeye
Any of you also hobbyst in audio? :D
Is there any such a forum in singapore?
Yup! What up? :D
HWZ forum used to be very informative about this stuff, not sure whether those hardcore ones still around at the forum.
They used to have regular meetup to share their experience as well as testing different configured systems.

Are you into this as well?

Hehhe, bro, so u are the hardcore ones lah ??!!:D

Hmmmm can go down to ur sound room to look see look see?? :D :D

I used to be quite into hifi stuffs too and that was what influenced me to study what i studied - electrical eng.

Not a rich guy so what i own are low range of the high end. High end is not all about 5 figure prices.
But i had not upgraded a thing for bout 6 years. Still using stuffs like audiolab 8000a, royd the abotts, rel strata, cd63mk2KI, etc.

Hehheh, serious photography and Hi Fi hardware collection dont really mix well unless pocket is real deep.:D Or....... u have a very very understanding wife/gf :D

Originally posted by kongg
hmmmmm photography and hifi. Looks like there will be a BIG hole in my pocket!!!!!!!
not really, just a small hole in your pocket is enough. Real hifi is not that expensive, unless you crazy about brand name and its prestigious image.
I use all vacuum tube amplification with old turntable and a mid-end speaker, good enough. It cost less than a DSLR with L-lens.

Actually it really boils down to the mentality of individual hobbyist. If he/she is the type thats easily contented, then like u said, pocket jus a little hole can liao. But those who are very into it and wants the best and reaches for the optimum, then sad to say, its really a bottomless pit. Theres jus too many components to change, mix and match, and upgrade.
Its exactly the same with photography. Some are contented with a rather basic camera setup that will serve their needs, whereas some will nitpick about everything and upgrade all the while for the latest and greatest. But like i always say, its their money, if they are happy, why not ? If i got all those spare cash i would too spend it on things that i really fancy. :)

for hi-fi you should really look at singapore sites because singapore listening rooms are much smaller than US listening rooms so equipment preferences etc may be different. Pricing is also different.

Ultimately, the bottleneck for a hi-fi system will be your listening room. I've more or less reached the limits of my little 12'x13' room (beyond which diminishing returns apply) and because distracted by photography too, not upgrading....

local forums - as mentioned earlier - www.echoloft.com

Another evil hobby. :devil: I used to be fanatic about hi-fi stuff abt 8-9 years back...read up all the mags about hi-end audio (e.g Hi-Fi News and Record Review, Stereophile, What? Hi-Fi etc.) and went down to Adelphi almost every weekend to drool at the latest stuff. :D Bought a modest setup (Arcam CD/Amp + Denon tuner + Mission speakers) around that time...stilll using it now but really seldom listen liao...no time and besides, my comp is where I store most of my music in mp3 format. ;p

I read up in a hi-fi mag some years back which featured an article about this guy called Fabio...a hunky model who lives in California or something...he owns one of the most mind-boggling audiophile set ups in his home...have seen pics of it...all I could think of is wow...this guy really has lots of cash sia!

I enjoy well reproduced music too.. so I keep a decent low budget music system in my bedroom (NAD 524 + NAD C350 + Mission 772). Used to tweak and upgrade a bit every now and then several years back, but have not changed much in the past year.

Xtremeplace and Echoloft are the 2 prominent local forums for audio related stuff. U can skip HWZ. Echoloft is relatively more towards "higher end" audio while Xtremeplace is more balanced between audio and home theatre fans.

IMO.. it is worthwhile setting a decent music system if u love music. There are many pple who loves music but yet listens only to badly reproduced music everyday..

Originally posted by Garion

I read up in a hi-fi mag some years back which featured an article about this guy called Fabio...a hunky model who lives in California or something...he owns one of the most mind-boggling audiophile set ups in his home...have seen pics of it...all I could think of is wow...this guy really has lots of cash sia!

If I'm not wrong that was the Stereophile June 1995 issue. Custom made Krell monoblocks and Martin Logan Monoliths.;)

heh... i'm looking to getting a pair of Def Tech 2006 speakers. overseas forum feedback seems to indicate these speakers as a good balance for both audio and HT. Since budget limited, can't afford to get 2 different systems for each.

Or any of you guys selling your stuff 2nd hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.