Audio enthusiasts: Your opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
Hi all,

I'm thinking of trying to do something out of the box by setting up a music system for my bedroom using a poweramp and mixer, which is used more for instrument amplification rather than for home-audio. A friend who has many years of experience in home audio has recommended that I try this -not only is it cheaper than even very basic 'audiophile-grade' amps/pre-amps, but it sounds many times better than said basic setups.

I already have a pair of Tannoy CPA-5's (specs here), which are bookshelf-type studio monitors. I'm considering pairing it up with:

1. Behringer Europower EP2500 power amp (specs here)), and

2. Behringer XENIX 1202 mixer (specs here)

What do you guys think of this setup? I know the sound is subjective and all, but is pairing up a mixer and power amp for music and home audio in this manner possible? It'd be great if anyone can tell me where to get Behringer stuff for a reasonable price in SG, one dealer I found quoted me $850+ for the EP2500.. is this roughly the street price?

Also, anyone know how the Wharfedale MP1800 compares with the Behringer EP2500?

And are there any other good mixers out there besides the XENIX 1202 I mentioned that you can recommend? Thx :)

yeah..there are tonnes of good mixers out there, ranging from Mackie to Yamahas to Euphonics, to AMS Neve and SSLs.

:thumbsup:

You want to use it mainly for listen music or watch movies? :D

yeah..there are tonnes of good mixers out there, ranging from Mackie to Yamahas to Euphonics, to AMS Neve and SSLs.

:thumbsup:

Which ones stand out, though? Want a mixer with a good balance of clean sounds, function and of course, reasonable priced ;)

1200W per channel in a bedroom :bigeyes: .

Haha, its actually closer to 650W per channel at 4 Ohms... 2x1200W is at 2 Ohms... will fry my little Tannoys

You want to use it mainly for listen music or watch movies? :D

A bit of both... after getting the two, I'll have to save for a decent CD player so will likely use my PC as the audio source for the time being :bsmilie:

A bit of both... after getting the two, I'll have to save for a decent CD player so will likely use my PC as the audio source for the time being :bsmilie:

hehe ... i 2 months ago just bought this sound system and put it in my bedroom too. :D
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S990THX&p=i&class=Systems
i use it to watch dvd-movies mainly, now everyday stay at home watch dvd le ... and dun feel like go cinema watch movies liao, haha :lovegrin:

Hooking up musical instruments to it? Even 650W at 4 ohms is this :bigeyes: to me.

More power = better control... and besides, can always upgrade to larger speakers in the future, LOTS of headroom and will probably never run out :bsmilie:

You rich leh.. i cannot afford :D

no wor ... mine only $1000 ++ only lor ...
i think after you get your left+right speakers and sub-woofer, will more cost than mine wor ... hehe :lovegrin:

no wor ... mine only $1000 ++ only lor ...
i think after you get your left+right speakers and sub-woofer, will more cost than mine wor ... hehe :lovegrin:

Haha, don't intend to get a sub, the Tannoys produce decent bass even for their small size. Not into bassy rock/techno/pop music anymore these days :)

Generally loudspeakers do not have the ability to produce low frequencies compared to a subwoofer. Check the frequency response of the particular pair of loudspeakers you intend to purchase.

Well, mention the word "Behringer" to anybody doing professional audio and you will be shot down at first sight. :p Behringer stuff are the low quality copies of better brands out there, so don't expect the best quality components in there.

Those 2 products you mentioned are usually used for live-sound reinforcement which has very different requirements than home audiophile listening. You are not gonna get the high fidelity using those kind of equipment. For live sound, the important thing is sound amplification. For home audiophile it's high fidelity music. Just for you info, a 650W amp can easily power the speakers for a small club comfortably. :)

Just looking at specs, the Tannoy speakers have a frequency response of 80Hz - 22kHz, which you will end up losing a lot of low end like the bass guitar and bass drums. As for the amp, 20Hz -20kHz at 0.1% THD. A relatively cheap hifi amp such as the Denon PMA500AE amp can trash that at 0.07% THD.

Well, the point is, selecting an amp is not just about wattage. For home use, a 100W amp is already very big and live sound equipments are not really suitable for high fidelity music. They are good for clubs and discos to blast your music and not to listen to every little nuances in the music. So I think you will be better off getting a home hifi type equipment than going for those you mentioned.

Cheers :)

Hi Frenchbean,

Thanks for your input on this. While I realize that Behringer is not at the pinnacle of pro audio equipment, the EP-series of power amps (according to some friends) are well built using good components (Fairchild & Toshiba transistors).

As for the 0.1% THD, correct me if I'm wrong, but it refers to total distortion at max output, right? Hence, wouldn't a 650W RMS/channel amp with 0.1% THD have much less distortion compared to a home-system with an output of 65W RMS/channel at normal listening levels? :dunno:

I do agree that the Tannoys will lose low levels below 80Hz... hmm, maybe I should get an active subwoofer system too :sweatsm:

I'm not going for audiophile grade systems costing tens of thousands of dollars. Just looking to put together a decent system with a relatively low cost :)

:think: been reading the thread for a few days and wondering whether to reply...

Amps wise, i won't use behringer either. I'd go for QSC audio or Crown just to name a few.

Mixer wise - definitely soundcraft or mackie. Low end mixers from behringer simply don't cut it.

The tannoys as mentioned by others would definitely need a sub - passive or active is up to you. I've auditioned them before when they first came out. Tat Chuan used to bundle these with their HT systems during the pro-logic days.

At the end of the day, you pay for what you get. I'm afraid i have to say this, no point keeping a low budget and ending with a system that sounds no where and making yourself "happy" or look "pro" just because you matched up an entire system based on PA grade material. Not just that you don't want to spend 10K odd on a sound system.

There's always preowned amps/speakers to start off with. My setup only cost $3K and its an all rounded system with a very good CD player. I almost considered your path but got put off by the limitation if i wanted to expand. I'm using a PA power amp also paired to an Adcom pre amp. Cabling is another issue i don't want to go into.

for small/medium room listening to music and vocal (not rock or boom booms) I strongly recommend you go and audition the Pioneer Pure Malt.

:think: been reading the thread for a few days and wondering whether to reply...

Amps wise, i won't use behringer either. I'd go for QSC audio or Crown just to name a few.

Mixer wise - definitely soundcraft or mackie. Low end mixers from behringer simply don't cut it.

The tannoys as mentioned by others would definitely need a sub - passive or active is up to you. I've auditioned them before when they first came out. Tat Chuan used to bundle these with their HT systems during the pro-logic days.

At the end of the day, you pay for what you get. I'm afraid i have to say this, no point keeping a low budget and ending with a system that sounds no where and making yourself "happy" or look "pro" just because you matched up an entire system based on PA grade material. Not just that you don't want to spend 10K odd on a sound system.

There's always preowned amps/speakers to start off with. My setup only cost $3K and its an all rounded system with a very good CD player. I almost considered your path but got put off by the limitation if i wanted to expand. I'm using a PA power amp also paired to an Adcom pre amp. Cabling is another issue i don't want to go into.

Thanks for your feedback. I am aware that you get what you pay for :) I'm looking for a sub-$1k system enough for my music listening needs, don't need (nor can I afford) a showroom -quality audiophile music system. I've checked out QSC and Crown, and both cost 2-3 times that of a similar-watt Behringer amp. Of course, the quality is different also la.

For the mixer, I will check out the Mackie ones and compare. At the end of the day, my Tannoys while being good speakers, are not exactly audiophile-grade too! Unless I cart my 40-year old JBL Century 100 studio monitors back from KL :bsmilie:

Can you share which PA power amp you're using, and which model Adcom pre-amp you're using? Also powering what speakers?

Can anyone recommend a good but reasonably-priced active sub? I've got a Yamaha active sub back in KL also, but again, don't want to cart it down to SG, as my sisters still watch movies etc on it. Thanks!

for small/medium room listening to music and vocal (not rock or boom booms) I strongly recommend you go and audition the Pioneer Pure Malt.

Thanks, but not really looking for speakers now. Maybe you have a active sub to recommend? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.