Attractions in Shanghai

Status
Not open for further replies.
东方明珠塔,外滩,上海小笼包,科学馆地铁站 (many imitation/fake goods, there you can find many xmm as sales promoters.. and occasionally you can hear them arguing with foreigners with solid english.. not sure if that's the "babes" that MWP is referring to.. :bsmilie: ) 。。

What are the attractions in Shanghai ?

外滩 now under mass renovation, so it is al let down at the moment if you thiink of taking pics there. the queue is usually very long for 东方明珠塔 but worth the trip, else you can get to the other high rise hotel too for your shoot. Make sure you are not on empty stomach as the trips up and down to the various level can be very slow. Some ladies fainted during these trips. The last time I went there was about 3.00 pm and ended at 8.00 plus pm, so you can inamgine the pace. But the time stretch is good as you can view day and night scene. Haven't learn how to overcome reflections when shooting night scene. I don;t think polariser help but maybe sticking the lenses onto the window pane may help. Can't recall if this can be done as I lost the opportunity to retry. Chen Huang Miao is the very old building worth a visit if you appreciate architecture.

As mentioned by Old Boy, you may actually choose the Jin Mao building (金茂大厦) rather then the Pearl Tower. I would actually recommend the Jin Mao building, since you can see how the Pearl tower like when you go to the observation deck of Jin Mao. The observation deck (88th floor) located at one level up of the Grand Hyatt's Bar, Cloud 9, but you cannot go up from Cloud 9.

IIRC the observation deck ticket is RMB75. I went on a weekend, and surprise me I do not need to Q.

French Concession is always worth walking there. Can start from Shan Xi Nan Lu station or Hengshan Lu Station

Jing An area will provide another type of view.

Do take note of the season.. If there is heavy fog (esp during winter), the tower may not be fully visible.

Hey,
Ryan here.. Currently working in Shanghai for a short while.

Depends on where you want to go and what you like to do.

Some very touristy areas are like the
Bund 外滩 - Under renovation, but you can see many financial buildings
Tian Zi Fang 田子坊 - Sort of like a cross between Chijmes and Holland V. A place with many small cafes and art galleries, handicrafts. Good for whiling away an afternoon
莫干山路 - A place with many art galleries and photography galleries. I quite like this place

城隍庙 - Another very touristy place, think it's a restored Chinese temple.
豫园 - Another overly touristy place, a park

There are a lot of parks. It's quite interesting to go in the morning and look at the old people writing calligraphy using large brushes and water.

The main shopping belt is from Nanjing West to Nanjing East (南京西路到南京东路), very similar to Orchard Road.

If you want to go for really bargain clothes shopping (beware of the touts and pickpockets!), you can go to 七浦路. Very cheap clothes, generally tops are around 30 - 40 RMB, jeans around 50 - 100 RMB. Make sure you just cut the price by half and don't budge, walk off if you are not happy. Yes, 科技馆 is also good for all the fake stuff. Just make sure you get a few prices before buying anything. In fact, I recommend not bringing a suitcase, and buying your suitcase here! =) Try not to pay more than.. 300 RMB (i guess), for a suitcase.

Night time
新天地 - Like Chijmes and Clarke Quay, a place with many foreigners. Prices are not cheap here, but generally a nice place to hang out as a tourist. There's a place here with live music (think it's normally Jazz) here which is not bad for a drink, called Luna. There's also Lawry's here, which has some dining promotions for steak.

There are too many clubs in Shanghai. Famous ones are MUSE, M2. Babyface, Richy's are quite popular among locals. Too many clubs in fact..

There are some places with live jazz.

KTV here is very good compared to Singapore. The overnight package (1130pm - 530am) might be around 40 ~ 50RMB (around SGD8 to 10) per person only complete with free flow of drinks. KTV chains are Partyworld 钱柜,

Hopefully this gives you a heads-up..

Best,
Ryan

better come over soon... its blue skies season now!!! when it gets back to normal, all you see are haze every day.

东方明珠塔,外滩,上海小笼包,科学馆地铁站 (many imitation/fake goods, there you can find many xmm as sales promoters.. and occasionally you can hear them arguing with foreigners with solid english.. not sure if that's the "babes" that MWP is referring to.. :bsmilie: ) 。。

been there so many times that these touristy places are already oblivious to me. I find talking to the babes more interesting. :) The famous xiaolongbao is the NanXiang xiaolong at ChengHuangMiao. Also now is the hairy crab season. Don't miss out on this delicacy.

Hey,
Tian Zi Fang 田子坊 - Sort of like a cross between Chijmes and Holland V. A place with many small cafes and art galleries, handicrafts. Good for whiling away an afternoon

Of all the places mentioned, this place is the best. Not too crowded and has an cosy and relax feeling. ZhuJiaJiao which is about an hour away from Shanghai is also a nice water village. I prefer the more laid back places so don't find tall buildings, shopping mall, crowded streets attractive :)

Last edited:
IMO, if you have planned to visit Zhu Jia Jiao, you may skipped Qi Bao, since they are look a like (not same though), and Zhu Jia Jiao is more scenic IMO. Though, both are touristy.

However, if you visit Qi Bao, you may actually wonder around the main street, there are some nice old street for candid, also, there is an old church somewhere behind the tourist area, quite 'old' feeling to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.