Attempt with blending in PS

azurebluee

Feb 10, 2010
Blending in PS. 1st attempt with blending in PS. 2 exposures.

7cfd6534.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
does this pic look realistic?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Natural looking hopefully with balanced lighting throughout.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Taken around 6pm. 1/20s, F14. No filter. Handheld.

C&C welcome :)

Over done to the point it looks out of this world (meaning unnatural, not good).

can you show the 2 source photos?

the boat is placed too far in the corner for my liking, composition wise. does not help that there is a sliver of distracting drain as well.

your background looks a wee bit too bright for me.

Over done to the point it looks out of this world (meaning unnatural, not good).

Yeah, now that I look at it again after a few days, it looks odd. :bsmilie:

can you show the 2 source photos?

the boat is placed too far in the corner for my liking, composition wise. does not help that there is a sliver of distracting drain as well.

your background looks a wee bit too bright for me.

Thanks for the tip on the composition. :)

lighter: buildings on the right and the boat seems comfortably exposed. But right side and sky overblown.

5bcd9c4f.jpg

darker: Sky and right side buildings look ok. But left side buildings underexposed.

58dcfc39.jpg

Done via simple layering to blend both images. nthg fancy.

k, just start with the brighter one as base:

boat1.jpg

layer darker one over, and then set to 70% for the relevant parts

boat2percent70.jpg

giving:

boatstep2.jpg

boat still dark, so brighten it up selectively, overlay bright one over, set to 40%

boat3percent40.jpg

giving this

boatstep3.jpg

some parts still look a bit too bright, layer dark one over, 10%

boatstep4percent10.jpg

giving this

boatstep4.jpg

sufficient details can now be seen, so just bring them out quickly with shadow/highlight tool, shadows: 15%

boathighlight15.jpg

just a quick one for illustration, along with thought process. frankly speaking can work more - the plants on the right are too bright would layer that part (dark picture) over to make it look better. would also do more work on the boat (if you look at the part where i brighten it up, it is definitely not an oval blob - also can recover more shadow details within), but i am not going to spend so much effort on such a small picture which isn't even mine. :)

it is not as simple as 2 zones and merge, hope this helps.

Last edited:
some parts still look a bit too bright, layer dark one over, 10%

sufficient details can now be seen, so just bring them out quickly with shadow/highlight tool, shadows: 15%

just a quick one for illustration, along with thought process. frankly speaking can work more - the plants on the right are too bright would layer that part (dark picture) over to make it look better. would also do more work on the boat (if you look at the part where i brighten it up, it is definitely not an oval blob - also can recover more shadow details within), but i am not going to spend so much effort on such a small picture which isn't even mine. :)

it is not as simple as 2 zones and merge, hope this helps.

Appreciate taking the time for the demo. :) This will keep me bz for the weekend. Need more practice with the pping. :bsmilie: